You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Top Three Favourite Scape-Goats

Paul

see,H*sk*y I just don't get .He's the opposite of what Paul was asking .H*sk*y wasn't one getting stick from the crowd unjustly like Danny or Carra ,he was just a modern Paul Stewart that caused everything himself with his love of public on the pitch handjobs-The others were great players ,that tried their best for LFC and still got stick .H*sk*y is the opposite of that

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I started going the match people around me hated Gary Ablett even though he wasn't that bad. My Dad used to have a personal vendetta against Craig Johnston, mainly because he believed all Australians should only play rugby and every mistake he made my dad would multiply the seriousness of it by 20000.

Went to watch Liverpool play Boro in the league cup in 2005 and every time Salif Diao touched the ball everyone went "For fucks sake don't pass it to that twat"

Undeserved scape goats:

Kewell - it is not his fault his is injured.

Garcia - a genius but gave the ball away so much

Gerrard - Has often been blamed for the teams ills, it's as if he is a one man team sometimes.

Deserved scape goats

Djimi - Bambi on ice

Biscan - Did he even know if he was awake?

Smicer - 1 good game every 10 otherwise injured

Murphy - 1 good game every 20

Heskey - Built like a tank, quick, and aggressive - yet always limping, moaning and crying

Kewell wouldn't be hurt so much if he'd lay off the barbied wombats. Garcia didn't give the ball away THAT much and it was a small price to pay for his genius. Sissoko gives it away more, he just gets it back better. As for Gerrard, like buttie and bacon it's a case of reap and sow for his Chelsea ambitions mark II.

Traore- played some great games at LB but will always be remembered for Charlton and Burnley.

Biscan- I have no fault with Igor except Burnley where as a midfielder he managed to keep his kit clean on a field with no grass. Not his felt some mad Frenchman tried to make him a CB.

Smicer- hyperbole saying 1 in 10. Never found his game here, but that's poor

Murphy- player of the year and 1 in 20? Pass the pork tenderloin, the Rasher is done again.

Heskey- as Red Nick would say, Agree 100%

1. Heggem - always remember Evans only ever making one substitute when teams used to come to Anfield and it would be deep into the second half with still no score. Who would he bring off? That's right good ol' Vegard.

2. Murphy - the player who bore the brunt of stick for Houllier's unadventurous tactics.

3. Smicer - Always remember him having an argument with someone in the kop when we conceded - obviously had a belly full of jib down the years.

Totally agree with that.

I've never had a scapegoat because if I think there shit,there shit simple.

But the 3 players I remember people getting on there backs,and I could not understand it were.

1. Ronnie Whelan - Class Player

2. Phil Neal - at the end of his time at Anfield(short memory some people).

3. Sammy Lee - another very good player,who was booed off the pitch in one game.

Whelan was the ultimate scapegoat for years and it was totally ridiculous.

All the clowns who got on his back were made to look stupid when he was out injured cos it usually resulted in the team struggling badly.

Same goes for Carra. Certain people should be ashamed of the way they treated him for a couple of years. He was the best defensive full back in the Prem and all he got was abuse for not being Cafu.

1. Heggem - always remember Evans only ever making one substitute when teams used to come to Anfield and it would be deep into the second half with still no score. Who would he bring off? That's right good ol' Vegard.

2. Murphy - the player who bore the brunt of stick for Houllier's unadventurous tactics.

3. Smicer - Always remember him having an argument with someone in the kop when we conceded - obviously had a belly full of jib down the years.

The crowd was never on Heggem's back. It's more disappointment over his nasty injuries that prevented him from having a great career with us.

Whelan was the ultimate scapegoat for years and it was totally ridiculous.

All the clowns who got on his back were made to look stupid when he was out injured cos it usually resulted in the team struggling badly.

Same goes for Carra. Certain people should be ashamed of the way they treated him for a couple of years. He was the best defensive full back in the Prem and all he got was abuse for not being Cafu.

back of the Net-even more shamefull is that some of those people now see themselves as his biggest fans

Cudos ATK as well for the Ronnie Whelan shout .My first ever pilgrimage to Anfield saw me sat behind the chairman of the ronnie scapegoatclub..nearly ruined the whole weekend for me

back of the Net-even more shamefull is that some of those people now see themselves as his biggest fans

Cudos ATK as well for the Ronnie Whelan shout .My first ever pilgrimage to Anfield saw me sat behind the chairman of the ronnie scapegoatclub..nearly ruined the whole weekend for me

The ones who used to hate Carra try and excuse themselves by saying he wasn't as good then and claiming he's only become boss cos he's taken on board much of the criticism he was getting.

Bollocks. He has always been a class defender and any criticism of him in the past was totally unjustified.

With regard to Carra he WAS a very limited full back, awful on the ball and his distribution was mainly a hoof upfield or a hopeful punt down the line. Now in his new position he has become one of the best centre backs in the world, both statements are correct surely?

With regard to Carra he WAS a very limited full back, awful on the ball and his distribution was mainly a hoof upfield or a hopeful punt down the line. Now in his new position he has become one of the best centre backs in the world, both statements are correct surely?

Limited in what sense?

Limited in that he was rarely if ever given the runaround by wingers?

Limited in that he gave Hyypia and Henchoz the kind of cover that helped them become one of the finest central defensive partnerships in Europe?

Limited in that he kept possession more often than not, albeit with passing which was generally safe rather than adventurous?

He was a quality full back. His only limitation was that he wasn't a natural attacking full back but his first job was to defend and he was and still is brilliant at that.

Guest PaddyBerger15

Yes.

The ones who used to hate Carra try and excuse themselves by saying he wasn't as good then and claiming he's only become boss cos he's taken on board much of the criticism he was getting.

Bollocks. He has always been a class defender and any criticism of him in the past was totally unjustified.

true- you should have seen what it was like on here back then.apart from the usual sensibles it was like myopia central where carra was concerned.its shamefull to see that some liverpool fans are so quick reguritate whats in the redtop media and use it to attack our own

As in psychotic and dirty, or walked out after having a barney with his manager?

I'm guessing the latter

No he put one of their players out with a dirty tackle. The truth is he never was a dirty player a very good right back, up there with the best of them.

He did have very big feet.

You just can't help yourself can you? Why are you wrecking a thread that specifically asked you - Rashid - not to criticise players?

1. Dirk Kuyt - I love the guy. The way he conducts himself on and off a football pitch are what i like to see in my players and he also has plenty of ability that lots of people ignore.

2. Steve Finnan - He might not be one anymore but he got tonnes of stick and there were loads of people saying we should never have bought him a while back; they were drastically wrong.

3. Vladi Smicer - Istanbul. Badge kissing that meant something.

Stu thanks mate, you've just said exactly my three.

The only thing i'll add is that Smicer is the only player i've actually threatened people about, y'know, when you've got people who just talk utter bollocks and won't shut the fuck up, even if that players having a brilliant game.

1. Lil' Luis - I don't care that he occasionally lost possession easily; when the tricks worked he was a joy to watch. And the letter he sent to LFC says it all.

2. Traore - never doubted Djimi's attitude. Few days ago I watched the Istanbul final again - great clearance off the line (yes, I know he had a few shaky moments, but ultimately he came through).

3. Pennant - why on earth is he one of my favourite players in our current squad! He shouldn't be - I guess I admire him for overcoming his history (so far) and I rate him highly - huge talent when he is on song.

I remember stewards having to step in once on the Kop when John Barnes' biggest fan was arguing with John Barnes' biggest scapegoat-maker from about 10 rows in front. We all have differing opinions on players but these two's opinions were miles apart. Funny to see.

Saying that it was around the time Barnes and Redknapp were playing in the centre (if Redknapp was fit) and the Michael Thomas fans couldn't hack him being left on the bench. Most wanted Redknapp to make way but some wanted shot of Barnes.

a few people including me didnt like Barnes at that time because in those days the 'final piece of the jigsaw' was a hardman tough tackling midfielder, thats all we needed, so we got shut of Barnes and signed Paul Ince:whoops:

a few people including me didnt like Barnes at that time because in those days the 'final piece of the jigsaw' was a hardman tough tackling midfielder, thats all we needed, so we got shut of Barnes and signed Paul Ince:whoops:

God, makes you think - just how many final pieces of the jigsaw have we signed in the last 15 years? We must have a whole fucking box of them by now.