You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Everton's new stadium...

Kopite

I've come to the conclusion that Tesco is a supermarket chain, but in Sweden the supermarkets don't usually build Football stadiums.

So can someone explain to me exactly what Tesco is and why do they want to build a stadium for Everton?

There CEO is a Blue nose, looking forward to what the share holders say when thats put to them.

Also, Im sure Goodison will become a Tesco, so they get two new supermarkets in area's they otherwise wouldnt be able to build.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've come to the conclusion that Tesco is a supermarket chain, but in Sweden the supermarkets don't usually build Football stadiums.

So can someone explain to me exactly what Tesco is and why do they want to build a stadium for Everton?

I will try and keep this simple so if the facts are a little out they are to keep the information simple.

They do this to get round the UK planning system.

The 1980's fad for out of town large shopping park brought on by your own IKEA, were found to seriously harm both the viability and vitality of local shopping centres and help undermine city centre growth. Furthermore the building out of town sites was unsustainable for their high dependency upon private transport and eroded into the countryside and lead to a loss of greenbelt. Greenbelt was perhaps the most well known planning policy in the Uk and very popular, when the public saw the erosion of the countryside the policy began to turn toward city centre regeneration.

Companies such as TESCO were against this as their most profitable site to building and operate were the edge of town sites.

The present Planning Policy seeks to discourage edge of town sites unless otherwise identified and it can be proven that the new retail site will not harm the present town centre retail function.

In this case I believe (although someone can correct me if I'm wrong) that Tesco will get Everton's old ground and a new edge of town site which they desperately need to drive home their dominance of the supermarket sector in the area. This is called enabling development.

They will get both, by funding a something for the council or people of the area. These are usually a large public project or sporting/recreation facility or large scale regeneration project, or in this case a stadium.

I will try and keep this simple so if the facts are a little out they are to keep the information simple.

The 1980's fad for out of town large shopping park brought on by your own IKEA, were found to seriously harm both the viability and vitality of local shopping centres and help undermine city centre growth. Furthermore the building out of town sites was unsustainable for their high dependency upon private transport and eroded into the countryside and lead to a loss of greenbelt. Greenbelt was perhaps the most well known planning policy in the Uk and very popular, when the public saw the erosion of the countryside the policy began to turn toward city centre regeneration.

Companies such as TESCO were against this as their most profitable site to building and operate were the edge of town sites.

The present Planning Policy seeks to discourage edge of town sites unless otherwise identified and it can be proven that the new retail site will not harm the present town centre retail function.

In this case I believe (although someone can correct me if I'm wrong) that Tesco will get Everton's old ground and a new edge of town site which they desperately need to drive home their dominance of the supermarket sector in the area. This is called enabling development.

They will get both, by funding a something for the council or people of the area. These are usually a large public project or sporting/recreation facility or large scale regeneration project, or in this case a stadium.

Thanks for the info! Sounds a little dodgy*

*Tescos strategy, not your information...

You offer them a way to build a big fuck-off supermarket where they wouldn't otherwise be allowed to.

Nail. On. Head.

The thing about this is, besides it being so cheap (TWO, pictures released???), these plans are for Kirkby, and Kirkby only, so they're saying to the fan (sic), "this is the new stadium, it's gonna be in Kirkby, so get usd to it". The so called vote by regulars, st holders and FORMER st holders, is gonna be riggeed to be a landslide for Kirkby, and they'll say "our fans were so impressed by the new Meccano, sorry new ground plans".

Also looking at the daylight picture, how shitty does it look, no wonder the proper ones are night time.

The thing about this is, besides it being so cheap (TWO, pictures released???), these plans are for Kirkby, and Kirkby only, so they're saying to the fan (sic), "this is the new stadium, it's gonna be in Kirkby, so get usd to it". The so called vote by regulars, st holders and FORMER st holders, is gonna be riggeed to be a landslide for Kirkby, and they'll say "our fans were so impressed by the new Meccano, sorry new ground plans".

That's what made me laugh about the Echo this week

Monday - the People will vote, we'll let the People decide where the People's club moves to because we do things the Everton way. But..

Tuesday - Kirkby is our only option though because it's the deal of the century

So, the People can vote as long as they vote for Kirkby, otherwise the vote will be binned.

There CEO is a Blue nose, looking forward to what the share holders say when thats put to them.

Also, Im sure Goodison will become a Tesco, so they get two new supermarkets in area's they otherwise wouldnt be able to build.

this is probably the truth, but won't see it for a while yet. the new stadum will be named after tesco as well, this will be the bullshit used to make it more paletable to the bloo's. a new stadium for next to nothing a masterstroke from bill, but still 30million in debt

Why are people saying that stadium is shite? Its not.....

It's only being said because it is. It's not unique, it's not special, it's just something there to make up the numbers. As somebody said before it's the best thing Everton did by releasing their plans a week early. Because if it was released later or at the same date as ours, it will be overshadowed by a good bit. It's just the one week wanking period it has allowed the fans until their plans get 'solar eclipsed' by ours.

I can't get over the way the Echo is still peddling the lie that it was the bug-eyed ginger gobshite (and not some red-braced tit fresh out of Poly with a 2:2 in Marketing) who came up with "the People's Club" - to go along with all those other memorable, pithy quotes he's come up with in the five years since, like ....... y'know .... and .... erm ....

Anyway, I was never great at maths, but ... 33,000 get a say on the location of a stadium for 55,000? Are they expecting a lot of away fans? That would explain why Kirkby is so attractive - good motorway links to Preston, Hull and Blackpool. Still, I'm sure they'll need 55,000 seats for all those FA Cup games (when everyone gets two seats each).

As for the Tesco angle, it's simple. They're going to build it and call it the Asda Stadium.

I can't get over the way the Echo is still peddling the lie that it was the bug-eyed ginger gobshite (and not some red-braced tit fresh out of Poly with a 2:2 in Marketing) who came up with "the People's Club" - to go along with all those other memorable, pithy quotes he's come up with in the five years since, like ....... y'know .... and .... erm ....

Anyway, I was never great at maths, but ... 33,000 get a say on the location of a stadium for 55,000? Are they expecting a lot of away fans? That would explain why Kirkby is so attractive - good motorway links to Preston, Hull and Blackpool. Still, I'm sure they'll need 55,000 seats for all those FA Cup games (when everyone gets two seats each).

As for the Tesco angle, it's simple. They're going to build it and call it the Asda Stadium.

That was Big Gay Bill that come out with that mate, the same as he told Arteta and Yobo to come out with the blatant lies they did, the cunts are so transparent. Let's say they sign this swiss guy, BGB says to him "you wanna make yourself popular with me and the fans, just say *---------*" and they'll love you.

*insert shitty Big Gay Billism here.

*Adopts the voice of an overly cocky Scando.*

"You're drunk".

*Switches back to reality with a Birkenhead teenager's voice.*

"Ha. Get told, Captain."

According to the Echo Tesco are putting in 50,000,000 and getting 75,000,000 worth of work for that price from Barr, because they use them to build Tesco stores. Everton will have to find somewhere in the region of 35,000,000 from the sale of Goodison and naming rights. But surely if Tesco are building it, they'll want it to be called Tesco Metro or something? I couldn't be arsed working out where the rest of the money comes from, although there was some mention of Everton having a contingency fund of 15,000,000 for 'overspend.' There's your summer transfer budget Moysey.

the stadium is going to cost £150m to build. If tesco are only putting in £50m then there is £100m to find from somewhere, and it certainly ain't going to be naming rights as that will likely be covered (for life probably) by the £50m tesco are putting in.

Can't see Bill Kenwright stumping up 100 Mill, ah well, its all our fault because the council all support Liverpool and wouldn't let them build on stanley park.

Actually, I think you'll find it's all down to Heysel....

Actually, I think you'll find it's all down to Heysel....

All roads lead to Heysel.....

Some Evertonian wrote in the Echo that it was the Liverpool City Councils' fault because they all support Liverpool and should have let them build on Stanley Park years ago. When did they actually do this? - all I can rememebr about them moving was the joke of the Knigs' Dock. Ifithandntbinfer Mike Storey.

All roads lead to Heysel.....

Some Evertonian wrote in the Echo that it was the Liverpool City Councils' fault because they all support Liverpool and should have let them build on Stanley Park years ago. When did they actually do this? - all I can rememebr about them moving was the joke of the Knigs' Dock. Ifithandntbinfer Mike Storey.

The Council are all reds??? That's why Bradley's tried to force a groundshare, at our expense, on us at every opportunity.