You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

We've got a right back called Steve Finnan...

Newport

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actim stats

------------

TOP 5 DEFENDERS IN THE PREMIERSHIP 2006/2007

1 Rio Ferdinand 443 8 Manchester United

2 Steve Finnan 437 9 Liverpool

3 Gary Neville 406 18 Manchester United

4 Ricardo Carvalho 402 19 Chelsea

5 Nemanja Vidic 397 22 Manchester United

and the 9th best player in the top 100, the highest ranked Liverpool player, the next one is Gerrard, 14th. he must be doing something right :thumbsup:

Fair enough. I define world class as being in the top two or three in your position in the World and I could only think of Zambrotta who is definitely someone I would prefer.

The players who play right back and I'd rather have?

1) Dani Alves

2) Gianluca Zambrotta

3) Philip Lahm

Can't really think of more... I'm thinking pretty hard as well.

The players who play right back and I'd rather have?

1) Dani Alves

2) Gianluca Zambrotta

3) Philip Lahm

Can't really think of more... I'm thinking pretty hard as well.

Steve Finnan is world class, according to the ginge, if there are less than 3 players you would prefer. Philip Lahm is not a right back, he plays left back. Therefore, he is excluded. Finnan is still world class.

Untrue... Lahm plays on both flanks to great effect.

....on Football Manager ;)

I've only seen him play on the left when playing for Bayern and Germany. Arne Friedrich has always played rightback for Germany when I've watched, and the same goes for Willy Sagnol for Bayern.

What are his flaws?

It's not so much his flaws, although I think the way he plays and the things he does are very 'basic' a lot of the time. He turns back a lot and passes it back or inside when sometimes I feel he should be trying to beat the man or look for a forward pass. He's no Leonhardsen now, but I think this part of his game could be improved. Like I said, I'm not saying I don't rate him, I just don't see him as world class.

It's not so much his flaws, although I think the way he plays and the things he does are very 'basic' a lot of the time. He turns back a lot and passes it back or inside when sometimes I feel he should be trying to beat the man or look for a forward pass. He's no Leonhardsen now, but I think this part of his game could be improved. Like I said, I'm not saying I don't rate him, I just don't see him as world class.

I don't really know how to judge world class. But i think its the simple things about his game that make him the great player he is. He isn't going to do loads of step overs and score fancy goals. But what he does do is efficient and effective. Solid defender, has a great cross and knows how to hit the byline. The dream right back if only he could improve his heading. Wouldn't swap him for alves.

I don't really know how to judge world class. But i think its the simple things about his game that make him the great player he is. He isn't going to do loads of step overs and score fancy goals. But what he does do is efficient and effective. Solid defender, has a great cross and knows how to hit the byline. The dream right back if only he could improve his heading. Wouldn't swap him for alves.

There's a difference between the highlighted bits there. Do you think he is world class? I haven't seen to much of Alves so I can't really comment on that comparison.

I don't get people doubting him at all. "Basic defending" is defending at its best no frills good tackling and good going forward. He cost three and a half mil, has been very steady and consistent. Our defense has let in 21 goals this season so he has a right to turn back if he feels there is nothing on ahead of him. If and whenever we replace him I hope it is with a player that is equally as good as him.

I define world class as being in the top two or three in your position in the World

Phil Neville is preparing to hunt down every pug ugly inbred utility player in the world better than him as we speak.

That defenition of world class leaves far too wide a scope. If, for whatever reason, the next generation of footballers created strikers no better than Marlon Harewood that wouldn't make them world class, they'd just be the best of a bad bunch.

I don't get people doubting him at all. "Basic defending" is defending at its best no frills good tackling and good going forward. He cost three and a half mil, has been very steady and consistent. Our defense has let in 21 goals this season so he has a right to turn back if he feels there is nothing on ahead of him. If and whenever we replace him I hope it is with a player that is equally as good as him.

Im not doubting him at all. All I said was I didn't think he was world class...maybe I don't consider him to be world class would have been a better comment??

I have no doubt about his ability and I realise he has been a fanatstic signing for us. I also believe sometimes you have to play the ball back however, I just feel he could improve this part of his game, as I believe world class players have the ability to make things happen. (I realise you will probably say assists v PSV and assists v 'insert other team here') but consistently making things happen.

TIA pretty much sums up my opinion of Finnan. He lacks the pace to be a consistent attacking threat. PSV had no real left sided player but against a lot of teams because of his lack of pace he stays deep and it often leads to teams double marking our right sided player. Assists and goals aren't the only measure of attacking worth. Movement is unmeasured and a clever run can often pull a defender away, making more space, without ever having touched the ball.