You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jeff Winter

Anubis

On SSN yesterday commenting on the Lehman/Drogba synchronised diving incident. He was saying how the next time 4/5 Chelsea players surround a referee he'd like to see the ref pull out a yellow and show it to each of them, to cut the protests out. Good call methinks. I think there is a definite hardening of opinion towards Chelsea in the refereeing world.

To be honest, I don't know why this hasn't been done before. Chelsea may be the main culprits, but they're not the only ones.

I think ref's should NOT take a backward step when the blow the whistle for a foul. Then, when the charging commences, if anyone (except perhaps the captain?) gets in the refs face, he should be yellow carded.

As soon as the practice of ref's running backwards AWAY from the mob of players started (to defuse the situation, I suppose), it just encouraged wholesale cavalry charges in his direction. Its a sign of weakness (and footie is a game ruled by primal instincts).

I hate to see a ref backing off the players telling them to go away. He should just stand his ground and tell them to move. If they started handing out yellow cards they would soon stop surrounding the refs.

The way Chelsea acted after Cole got booked was a disgrace. I dont agree with buying the title but if that was the only way we could stop Chelsea winning anything then so be it.

I think we should do more of it (although not to the extent of Chelsea's antics). It definitley helps Chelsea out IMO (and the Mancs before them).

I just can't bring myself to be convinced by this argument. The mancs ruled the 90's because they were a good side, not because they moaned at refs. Chelsea are winning games now because the team consists of expensive and good players.

I think this is one of those things that sound logical in your head, but will fail miserably if tested scientifically. Moaning or not, sometimes you get lucky with decisions and sometimes you don't.

I think we should do more of it (although not to the extent of Chelsea's antics). It definitley helps Chelsea out IMO (and the Mancs before them).

I do think that the best thing is the hardening of the referees towards that behaviour. They should be yellow carded everytime it happens and that would stamp it out. The only reason they do it is because they get away with it.

I just can't bring myself to be convinced by this argument. The mancs ruled the 90's because they were a good side, not because they moaned at refs. Chelsea are winning games now because the team consists of expensive and good players.

I think this is one of those things that sound logical in your head, but will fail miserably if tested scientifically. Moaning or not, sometimes you get lucky with decisions and sometimes you don't.

FACT: If you moan constantly about every single decision given against you, then the referee will think twice about giving the decision next time, because he'll be thinking "do I really need all that hassle".

True about the Mancs of course (and because the rest of the league was poor at the time :whistle: ) but I do think that the pressure Chelsea put on the ref can help at times. The mancs were the masters of it. I wouldnt want our players going to those extremes but I do think a bit of a word in the old shell like might do us good now and again. Only Carra seems to do it.

If we dont get a penalty, then have a word then the next time something happens the ref will have the last one in the back of his mind.

I agree completely with Winter but I don't remember him ever pulling out the cards when players surrounded him. He's become a brilliant ref...from the comfort of his armchair.

Good call about refs backing off from players. I've noticed that the Champions League referees tend to be much better at standing their ground. They also don't invite debate. It annoys me the way PL refs often have mini-conferences to explain their decision. They think it calms the players down but all it does is encourage more pressure and intimidation.

The only explanation should be "I'm the ref, you're not..now fuck off".

I`ve been saying for a long time that the captain of each team should be madde responsible for his teams` discipline on the pitch.

The situations I`m talking about include arguing decisions with the referee, time wasting and moving the wall closer to the free kick spot.

Whip out a yellow card to the captain each time it happens and it will go away.

I`ve been saying for a long time that the captain of each team should be madde responsible for his teams` discipline on the pitch.

The situations I`m talking about include arguing decisions with the referee, time wasting and moving the wall closer to the free kick spot.

Whip out a yellow card to the captain each time it happens and it will go away.

Doesn't sound like a good idea, you could just change captain after each yellow card.

Fuckin hell what manu games were you watchin mate the mancs invented surrounding the ref in the 90"s

what summed winter up was he was being asked about a few decision and the sky bloke mentioned one of the refs and said he had a good game at the weekend. winter just said he's a nice fella, but i like to see refs getting more involved with the game. it sums him up - an egotistical prick who thinks the game is there for the benefit of the ref. the sooner the day comes when computers can ref them game and we can get shut of odious men like winter and rennie the better. maybe our new arab mates can convert their robot camel riders!!!

I agree completely with Winter but I don't remember him ever pulling out the cards when players surrounded him. He's become a brilliant ref...from the comfort of his armchair.

Good call about refs backing off from players. I've noticed that the Champions League referees tend to be much better at standing their ground. They also don't invite debate. It annoys me the way PL refs often have mini-conferences to explain their decision. They think it calms the players down but all it does is encourage more pressure and intimidation.

The only explanation should be "I'm the ref, you're not..now fuck off".

yeah i absolutely hate it when the refs go and have a chat especially when you are loosing with little time left, the player knows what they did it's not the refs job to calm them down >:(

what summed winter up was he was being asked about a few decision and the sky bloke mentioned one of the refs and said he had a good game at the weekend. winter just said he's a nice fella, but i like to see refs getting more involved with the game. it sums him up - an egotistical prick who thinks the game is there for the benefit of the ref. the sooner the day comes when computers can ref them game and we can get shut of odious men like winter and rennie the better. maybe our new arab mates can convert their robot camel riders!!!

Whats that all about then? - I must come clean and say i am a ref in local leagues but in your eyes presumably all refs are idoits we don't need them ....etc - yeah whatever - next time engage brain before opening mouth. No of copurse refs do not think the game exists for them you muppet, but obviously as people who are deeply involved they have views on what goes on and have the right to say them. I'd far sooner listen to refs than Jose, Fergie, Mark Hughes or Steve Bruce or other twisted biased individuals who wouldn't know fair play if it came up and hit them in the face. Also what about the previous highly intelligent contribution (from Brownie was it) calling JW a blank blank cunt or something like that - can't be bothered even looking up the exact quote as it was so pathetic.

What JW says is clearly dead right and common sense and all true footy fans should agree - CFC and MUFC's disrespect for officials and random cheating is exactly what turns a lot of decent people off the game.

I think you are falling into the trap of just cos you didn't like JW as a ref (and neither did I particularly) you think all he says is wrong. I mean i don't like police or tories but it doesn't mean they are always wrong - if they say something I listen and then decide - its like that with JW - I listen and weigh it up and this time he is spot on IMO.

As a ref I want refs views represented as pundits more often as frequently Gray and his ilk talk rubbish and need challenging and in that respect JW is a welcome addition to the pundit arena. Unlike some ex refs he does seem a genuine football lover who can laugh at himself which must be a good trait. Sometimes people say they wish refs would come on and explain what they do - well JW does and gets condemned for it. Phrases which come to mind are 'damned if you do and damned if you don't' or 'no win situation'