You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ghosts

Remmie

New years eve 1999-2000 I was round my mates house eating mushrooms and drinking myself silly while his parents were away. During the evening and into the early hours of the morning I kept seeing this cat jump onto his cuboard. He's sit there for a few mins then jump down and run out the room, a pattern he would repeat for the rest of the evening until I passed out on my mates floor.

A few weeks later I asked my friend what happend to the cat after he said he didn't have any pets. He said "I've have never had a cat Jon"

Spooky or what?

I can only go by the veggies I have met.

Weirdos and ghost beleivers one and all.

You I dont know

Not sure if you've lurked the GF (or Rf as it is now known as) but I recently posted a thread on being a Veggie so I thought it was a curious comment, but must have just been a coincidence.

I wasn't tired, nor was light playing tricks...And I know both can do. 3 pairs of ears heard it and 3 pairs of eyes and seen it with me that night, plus other duty guards and civilian police, thats enough for me...3 lads do not flick the safety catch off for nothing...

Sceptics "think" they have the answer to everything, and some take the ignorant, high and mighty route and like to laugh and make fun. But in reality if and when you do come across something you simply cannot explain then come back to me. But for now, explanations dont wash with me because the explanation and the reasoning is wrong, totaly and utterly wrong..

Don't get me wrong, I aint a big believer in ghosts and I used to be like people on here "yeah thats your imagination that is" "your a nutter" "why don't spirits do this, do that" ect ect, but my experiences changed that view to an open minded one as like I said, there was no explanation whatsoever for those happenings...

Like I said, you can come back with explanations, but I'll be smiling to myself thinking you haven't got a fucking clue what your talking about...

Not sure where your animosity came from. I don't believe I was either "high and mighty" or "making fun". On your tale, is there no possibility that you and your colleagues had been spiked?

As for Aws' comment about the human brain, I do think there's some mileage in that. Isn't it something like 90% of its capacity that we don't understand? I can certainly see that telepathy could be possible (thoughts being tiny electrical impulses which can be detected). Also, in terms of moving stuff, mega-dan martial artists can move people without touching them.

Not sure where your animosity came from. I don't believe I was either "high and mighty" or "making fun". On your tale, is there no possibility that you and your colleagues had been spiked?

As for Aws' comment about the human brain, I do think there's some mileage in that. Isn't it something like 90% of its capacity that we don't understand? I can certainly see that telepathy could be possible (thoughts being tiny electrical impulses which can be detected). Also, in terms of moving stuff, mega-dan martial artists can move people without touching them.

Not anymore, advances in brain mapping procedures have advanced our understanding of the brain greatly. There's a brainome project that is currently in the process of mapping every neuron in the brain (that's approximately one trillion cells) so as they can develop a greater understanding. Basically, they'll be able to feed data into a computer and see what this brainome does or where it malfunctions so as they can predict, with greater accuracy, the functions of the brain.

I think there will be advances in the detection of the types of neurochemicals present in the brain and their function. This area, in particular, is still being added to all the time. There's even evidence that gases work at the synaptic level in our brains. Gases such as hydrogen sulfide (don't ask me what it does as I don't know) appear to act as neurotransmitters.

The scientific community know more about the structure of the brain than they do its function; however, they are able to locate brain areas responsible for most human phenomena. They know quite a bit about what is going on where but they don't know how and why it's going on. For instance, it's possible to locate the neural structures implicated in various disorders but they know comparatively little about how to fix them.

There is no animosity fella, I was talking about some people in general who like to make fun of the open minded views, not yourself. Spiked? Not a single chance, not were we where, the place was too important and considering it was strategic commanders only in that area, I highly doubt anybody of that hierarchy would take a chance on compromising British Intellegence...Like I've said Paul, there is just no explanation for what went on mate, I'd love there to be as it put the shits up me for days, but there isn't. I was in perfect state, fully aware of my surroundings and actions and so where the bods with me...

I know it may sound your typical middle of nowhere, late at night tale so it'll get the sceptical views. But I'll look back on that for years to come and still wonder...And so will the other lads who haven't said a word about it since...

There is no animosity fella, I was talking about some people in general who like to make fun of the open minded views, not yourself. Spiked? Not a single chance, not were we where, the place was too important and considering it was strategic commanders only in that area, I highly doubt anybody of that hierarchy would take a chance on compromising British Intellegence...Like I've said Paul, there is just no explanation for what went on mate, I'd love there to be as it put the shits up me for days, but there isn't. I was in perfect state, fully aware of my surroundings and actions and so where the bods with me...

I know it may sound your typical middle of nowhere, late at night tale so it'll get the sceptical views. But I'll look back on that for years to come and still wonder...And so will the other lads who haven't said a word about it since...

I believe you saw some mad stuff; no doubt. What I can't so easily accept is your explanation. Just because you can't see a rational reason for it, doesn't mean it isn't there. People used to think that the reason the sun rose and set was because it revolved around us.

What I can't so easily accept is your explanation. Just because you can't see a rational reason for it, doesn't mean it isn't there.

Most people can't accept the unknown imo, thats why people scratch their heads looking for answers and instantly dismiss happenings or some form of sightings with some form of reasoning, I used to be the same when my mum and gramps would tell me about the poltergeist down south, or when he and a friend saw that old bomber fly in and dissapear back in his RAF days, I used to find it impossible to belive and I thought they were mad.

I guess it takes an incident to open the mind up to such things...

Most people can't accept the unknown imo, thats why people scratch their heads looking for answers and instantly dismiss happenings or some form of sightings with some form of reasoning, I used to be the same when my mum and gramps would tell me about the poltergeist down south, or when he and a friend saw that old bomber fly in and dissapear back in his RAF days, I used to find it impossible to belive and I thought they were mad.

I guess it takes an incident to open the mind up to such things...

No mate, that's what I'm saying - I can accept what you say; I just don't think "ghosts" (the spirits of dead people) are the explanation. It's like I can accept that the universe must have come from somewhere, but the fact that we don't know precisely where doesn't lead me to God; it leads me to the fact that we don't know everything.

• 9 years later...

Surprised to read this. Is this still true, or have you changed your mind?

One should always keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out.

Clearly I don't believe and never have believed that ghosts are spirits of the deceased.

One should always keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out.

Clearly I don't believe and never have believed that ghosts are spirits of the deceased.

That is, pretty much, the definition of "ghost".

My personal view of ghost stories is that they tend to be lies, stories which have grown in the retelling or true tales of people getting spooked by a combination of natural occurrences (for example, pipes making weird noises in an empty building) and the tricks the mind plays.  I've certainly never come across anything to convince me that there's anything supernatural going on.