You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

15/04/1989

I don't post much but I wanted to share this with you today.

Chris

I didn’t go to the semi-final. It was at a time when I wasn’t able to go to many games but I remember being so nervous that afternoon that I went out for a walk just before 3 to take my mind off the game. It wasn’t any premonition that something terrible was going to happen; just the usual tension that most supporters feel before a really big game. I returned home during what should have been the half-time interval to be first confused and then horrified by the scenes that were being shown live by the BBC. At that time there wasn’t any definite news of casualties but as the afternoon turned into evening the true facts began to emerge. I spent hours on the telephone that week-end trying to find out if people I knew had been at the match were safe. Sadly four members of the London Branch on whose committee I had served for many years had died. I was also touched by so many people calling me, from as far away as America and Australia, just to make sure that I was alright.

I tried to think and talk my way through it all but when I saw the television pictures of what was happening at Anfield in the first few days afterwards I knew I had to go there too, not just to pay my respects but because I felt that only then would I really believe what had happened. It might be a painful sight but at least then I could start to grieve properly. I made the long journey from north by car with a friend and her two children. Alison was from Liverpool and she had a contact in the club who met us when we arrived. Because of that connection I did feel somewhat guilty that we had walked straight into the main entrance and past people who had been queuing patiently for a long time. But once we had walked up onto the track by the side of the pitch guilt was replaced by something else that is almost impossible to describe as I looked at the Kop goal and the area in front of it before walking on to the Kop itself.

There were thousands of people inside Anfield but almost no noise. The whole atmosphere was unreal but while standing on the Kop and looking out over the pitch I probably realised fully the enormity of what had happened. Almost every barrier on the terrace had scarves tied around it and flowers placed in front of it. To many of those tributes were attached personal messages that brought tears to your eyes just reading them, especially those placed by friends and family on the exact spot where some of the victims used to stand. I recall reading a note from a young fan who lived on the south coast and who had never been to Anfield. But he had sent his treasured scarf up with a message asking for someone to put it on the Kop with all the others. I made a note of his name and address and later sent him a card telling him his scarf was there with the rest. It would have been easy for the club to ignore such requests but they took the trouble to ensure that everything sent to them found its way out on to the pitch or the terrace. Some of those momentos must have meant a lot to the people that had sent them or took them to Anfield that week but they were prepared to let them go in memory of all their fellow supporters who had perished at Sheffield. I had a scarf with me which I had owned for years. It was just an ordinary red and white scarf. It didn’t even have the name “Liverpool” on it but it was special to me. I tied it symbolically and deliberately between two Everton scarves because their supporters were brilliant that week and showed that they were as hurt and angry as the red half of the city.

Outside the stadium there were countless messages scrawled on the walls and almost as many beautiful poems, in which was perfectly conveyed the anger and sorrow of the authors about the needless loss of life. When I returned home that evening, emotionally drained after what I had seen and physically tired by several hours of driving, I tried to put my feelings down on paper too. I hope I won’t ever forget the people who died. I know I’ll never forget the day I went to Anfield to remember them. Here’s what I wrote at the end of that terribly sad and emotional day fifteen years ago :

Standing on the Kop today

Where I have stood for twenty years

No men in red before my eyes

But just the mist of bitter tears

A broken-hearted city mourns

The dead from Sheffield’s hell-hole trap

No-one is here today to sing

No-one is here to cheer or clap

Ten thousand scarves before my eyes

A hundred thousand flowers bloomed

With words of love and tenderness

For those whom Hillsborough’s death-trap doomed

A part of me has died today

Along with those who suffered there

But what I see before me now

Must bring me hope through my despair

I had to come and share my grief

For ninety-six who won’t be home

Bill Shankly’s arms are open wide

With him they’ll NEVER walk alone

I was 8 years old, dad couldn't get us tickets to the match in Sheffield. So I was sat in our back garden on a brilliantly sunny day with the radio listening to the match with members of my family. Remember being so excited that it was semi-final day, my second cousin Lee had gone but he was 14, I so was envious of him. Then the radio commentator said something and the rest is a blur.

The next thing I do remember is Donny, Lee's dad, crying that his son was lost to him. Kenny had visited Lee in hospital and Lee is mentioned in Kenny's autobiography, he's have loved that Lee would! I wasn't that close to Lee but his death brought the family that bit closer. Donny was never the same man afterwards, and went completely downhill.

We need justice for all those 96 souls and the families as has never been given in these last 17 years.

Rest in Peace.

I can’t rest Mum,

I’m so tired,

I need to rest in peace,

But I am restless here in heaven,

Because of those inept police,

They caused the worst disaster,

Then lied through their hind teeth,

Make them pay for what they did Mum,

We all require Justice.

Gate C was made for exits,

Not letting thousands in,

Pens three and four were crowded,

Yet they kept letting more and more in.

Oh why didn’t they direct them Mummy,

To the empty pens around,

As I felt my last breath going,

The screams were the only sound.

They made us pay too much Mum,

To watch that football game,

We paid the highest price Mum,

Yet nobody is to blame.

Keep fighting on for justice,

Keep telling the whole truth,

Don’t let that scum rag beat us,

We don’t deserve the pain they caused.

I can’t rest Mum,

I’m so tired,

I need to rest in peace,

By Mike Nicholson.

Breaks my heart.

Justice.

Its wrong that the 96 havent had justice its totally out of order and I pray that one day Justice will be done and its the poor families who have to try and put some closure on the matter but its very hard to put closure on the matter when justice hasnt been done.

Ive been very lucky in my life as i used to go to 90% of games between 1980-1990 and for business reasons i didnt get to go to Hysel and Hillsborough, I am so lucky but unfortunately others were not and thats why I will always support the HJC as it could easily have been me.

At this time its the families of the lost ones that i feel most for