You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New stadium

GOLDMEMBER

The council want LFC to share thats what Warren Bradley want's, he is i believe getting told by EFC to push this as much as possible.

Warren Bradley is 1 person. Liverpool City Council is 90 people. It isn't his decision to make. And there are (far) more LFC fans on the council than EFC fans, not that that should make a jot of difference, because they (should) just want what is best for the city.

The council should spend as much money as they can to get LFC to stay in Anfield,because the area is fucked if we move out.

I appreciate that, but, fortunately or not, they have to operate within the law, and their hands are tied where giving potloads of money to private companies is concerned.

It's easy to sit back and blame the council for stuff, but they really can do no more than facilitate the new stadium, rather than outright fund it.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't the councillors have to declare personal interests when certain issues are discussed at council meetings?

I attended one the other week and councillors were declaring an interest in a particular issue because they were members of a certain pension fund or whatever.

Surely, being an Everton or Liverpool ST holder would be classed as having a personal interest in the issue?

The council may be 90 people but these days it is being run like parliament with party politics completely dominating. That means that if the Lib Dems don't want to let us move, then we won't be able to. And there would be fuck all Labour/Radford could do about it, as far as I know.

The council, as far as I can make out have given Liverpool FC every asistance in getting the plans approved and have themselves committed substantial funds to help with the developement of Anfield.

I also believe that plans have been approved for a new train station on Utting avenue behind the Clarence alehouse, allowing direct access to Lime street on match days, for BOTH clubs.

To say the council is holding things up or making it difficult is wrong.

You've obviously underestimated my Huyton Tandoori and ale consumption.

Tis true, I believe a bench has been errected outside the said Tandoori bathed in swaddling seal skin in honour of Mr NP and his crazy disregard for anything fast moving in his effort to reach his snow hole. Laden with copious amounts of ale.

Is anyone else utterly fucking sick of reading non-stories about the vague possibility of us maybe building a new stadium one unspecified day in a potential future? I am. Until we're actually building the thing, I wish The Echo would just shut the fuck up about it.

Is anyone else utterly fucking sick of reading non-stories about the vague possibility of us maybe building a new stadium one unspecified day in a potential future? I am. Until we're actually building the thing, I wish The Echo would just shut the fuck up about it.

Think everyone is mate. I am certainly in the utterly fucking sick brigade - just wish it would end.

Buro Happold are the design team working on the stadium. And carillion the builders who at first were going to do it have since pulled out due to a feeseablity study carried out that, most of the stadia built around the UK in the last 5 years have resulted in spiraling costs. And to say the council is helping is naive, They wernt helping when all this work in liverpool at the moment has gone to firms from outside the city, the council is as bent as a 9 bob note.

It's good for winding up the Bitters though.

from the Sunday Telegraph Business section -

Liverpool FC loses £11m EU funding

By Andrew Murray-Watson (Filed: 09/04/2006)

Liverpool Football Club has lost out on an £11m European Union grant to assist in the construction of a new £160m stadium.

The offer of the grant is believed to have lapsed on Friday following protracted delays in the club's plans to move from its spiritual home of Anfield to a state-of-the-art 55,000-seater stadium. The loss of the European money will add to growing speculation that Liverpool will not be able to afford to move to the new ground.

Meanwhile, the Sunday Telegraph has learned that the Premier League club, which won the European Champions League last year, has dumped Hawkpoint as its financial adviser and appointed PricewaterhouseCoopers as it searches for new sources of investment.

On 29 March Liverpool was forced to announce to the stock market that it was in talks with a number of parties "regarding a potential investment of new funds into the club".

Putera Sampoerna, the Indonesian billionaire, and Mansion, the gambling company that was recently outbid in its attempt to become shirt sponsors to Manchester United by AIG, the US insurance giant, are seen as possible buyers of the club.

Other parties that have expressed an interest in investing in Liverpool in the past include the billionaire Kraft family of the US and Steve Morgan, the Merseyside housing tycoon.

It is understood that David Moores, the Liverpool chairman and 51 per cent shareholder in the club, has in the past been unwilling to cede control to an outside investor. However, it is now believed that he will step aside and pave the way for a takeover of Liverpool if a suitable bid is put on the table.

Juan Villalonga, the Spanish telecommunications tycoon, recently expressed his interest in turning Liverpool into a "global brand" but has so far failed to make an offer that impresses the club's board.

Liverpool has been searching for outside investment since June 2004, when it appointed Hawkpoint.

The club declined to comment yesterday on any aspect of the takeover talks. An offer for the entire share capital of Liverpool's parent company would cost in the region of £200m.

Liverpool: Stadium plans given green light

Liverpool stadium plans re-approved

The plans for Liverpool's new stadium have been re-approved by the local council without any alterations in the original scheme.

The Anfield club had to re-submit their plans, originally agreed almost two years ago, to make sure they conformed to new planning law.

And at a meeting of Liverpool council's planning committee on Tuesday those plans - for a 60,000 ground on nearby Stanley Park - were once again given the go-ahead.

That approval could have been taken by council officials but it is believed a decision was made for it to go back before the planning committee to allow transparency, and objectors to put their views again.

Liverpool still have major financial problems to overcome, however, with the cost of the Stanley Park venture having spiralled to £160million. Shareholders were told at the club's recent AGM that it could be four years before the stadium was completed.

The club, who insist they are still actively looking for outside investment, have denied claims that they have lost £11million in European Union grants. A decision on that is expected next month.