You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is Cisse good enough for Liverpool?

Paul

Is Djibril Cisse good enough for Liverpool?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Is Djibril Cisse good enough for Liverpool?

I don't want this to become a nasty thread (slim chance, I know), but I want to know who thinks Djibril's got a future at the club. Today's result was obviously not his fault, but I do think his performance was the straw that broke the camel's back for me, as I no longer think there's any chance of him coming good. His awareness of where he and his team mates are on the pitch is as poor as I've seen in a top flight striker and he's utterly lacking in composure. Furthermore, his touch is poor, as is his work rate (which has improved, but isn't good enough). That missed open goal today was just no surprise at all. He seems to fold when there's any time to think about what to do. Short of changing our entire game plan to revolve around him (which obviously won't happen), I can't see him becoming a consistent player for us.

What do you all think? Some may mention his transfer fee, but I think it's irrelevant as he didn't set it. And please do not compare him with any other player at the club as this is only about Cisse. Also, keep it civil.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, but we need to use him properly.

He's not a tricky in and around the box player who likes playing off people and working his way around people, he a pace player, give him balls down the channel or through the defence (proper balls not these long punts that we just expect him to get because he's fast) and you'll see the Cisse that played for Auxerre. At the moment we're asking him to play and do things that just aren't him.

As for the miss, ignoring the fact he was flagged for offside a second or so before it got to him he was face down in the mud, I'd be suprised if he was the ball until the last second and just flung his leg out at it.

He has had numerous chances now and has failed to make an impression on any of them.

His goal against Everton maybe shows that he has the ability to finish but today like most days when he is playing he was just frustrating and extremely poor.

Where is this blistering pace of his because once again he failed to use it. Time after time he fails to control the ball and always seems to either get in the way of Crouch or head down and runs with the ball but rarely beats the first man.

Cisse is not good enough for Liverpool. There is nothing he brings to the game which we havent got in the other strikers and i feel if he doesnt move in the summer i will be surprised.

Judging by his Liverpool performances, he cant finish, he cant control the ball properly, his work rate is dreadful, his awareness of team mates is even worse and he moans on the pitch. On the plus side he's fast. He should be a 100metre runner not a footballer.

Cisse didn't decide the fee. Morientes and Crouch can't average a goal every 4 games, where's the poll for them?

Hermes, I specifically asked for no mentions of fees or other players; I'd just like people to judge Djibril Cisse on what they've seen of him. Can we not have a single thread that doesn't descend into farce?

Does anyone really think Rafa would have spent £14m on that pile of shite?? GH bought some class signings but he hardly ever got value for money in his later years. Hyypia, Henchoz were a good start ...the years go by... Heskey £11m (worrying but he's not too bad!) more years go by... Diao,Diouf.. combined about £15m (Oh Fuck!!) Last signing Mr. C ( I ain't scoring no stinking goals..sucker! £14m down a very big drain)

they where all equally as crap, Crouch was dirt, Nando yet again was down right awful, Flo Po hadnt any time to do anything, but Djib was terrible as well

and dare i say it, the junkie fuck Ferdinand finally played a decent fucking game for the mancs, gutted, i really could fucking cry :no

I don't want this to become a nasty thread (slim chance, I know), but I want to know who thinks Djibril's got a future at the club. Today's result was obviously not his fault, but I do think his performance was the straw that broke the camel's back for me, as I no longer think there's any chance of him coming good. His awareness of where he and his team mates are on the pitch is as poor as I've seen in a top flight striker and he's utterly lacking in composure. Furthermore, his touch is poor, as is his work rate (which has improved, but isn't good enough). That missed open goal today was just no surprise at all. He seems to fold when there's any time to think about what to do. Short of changing our entire game plan to revolve around him (which obviously won't happen), I can't see him becoming a consistent player for us.

What do you all think? Some may mention his transfer fee, but I think it's irrelevant as he didn't set it. And please do not compare him with any other player at the club as this is only about Cisse. Also, keep it civil.

He is not remotely good enough, and if the best defence anyone can come up with for him is that others are not that great either, then that pretty much seals his fate. He has shown absolutely nothing since he's joined us other than pace and daft haircuts. Get rid now.

I think so. If you look at todays game, in which he was poor, he still is the one that manages to come into scoring positions. After the Everton game, it was all rosy, because then he played good. So it`s not just abilities, it`s about being match fit. One thing is for certain. If Cisse is to play to his potential for us, he has to play more regularly than at the moment.

I think he can be good enough, but im not so sure we will ever see it, due to rotation at the top, and that Rafa clearly prefers another type of striker.

Like every other parts of our of team there are always room for improvements... But not so sure Cisse is the first one i would let go.

Edit: To make it clear...i think he is good enough in the way that there are others i would get rid of before...

By the way, there are difficult discussing this, without looking at the other options that are available to us.

That was possibly the most inept display by a Liverpool striker I've seen in the last 20-odd years.

In fact, if I were Liverpool I'd haul him in front of the courts and do him for breach of contract. That wasn't football he was playing, god knows what it was...

I'm so angry we lost today. We were a league above them in every area, but for the strikers (and Horse and Shrek hardly played well).

Gutted!

Cisse didn't decide the fee. Morientes and Crouch can't average a goal every 4 games, where's the poll for them?

Morientes for me is a disappointment so far, expected much better from him with his pedigree. I'm not willing to write him off just yet as we've got some big European games upcoming and I trhink Rafa had an eye on him especially for Europe.

Crouch debate has been done to the last seal clubbed.

Cisse did not decide the fee, but his fee makes him our top striker in most supporters eyes.

And this pains me beyond belief to say, but Red Nick was right- our wastefulness would catch up to us.

Surprised to see Paul go rashalistic.

I haven't. I've had my doubts about him for a long time, but kept thinking he'd come good as the coaching finally clicked in his head. However, he was really poor today and I made my mind up about this issue as he went off - before the game was lost. This is no knee-jerk thing. I wish he was better, but he isn't. It's a real shame as he's got a big character and is obviously made up to play for us, but he ain't good enough. I really like him and would wish him well wherever he went, but I think he's done in a Liverpool shirt for me now.

People know that I don't think he's good enough and today encapsulated it for me perfectly. It's not totally his fault that we lost of course, but if we had a better option next to Crouchy then we'd have won today.

Stop changing the direction of the thread as well please Hermes, there's no need for it.

I shouldn't have posted this straight after the game as I wanted a measured debate. Some hope. Could I just reiterate that there's no need to:

a) compare him to anyone else; b) mention his fee; or c) slag him off.

Just give your opinion and explain why you hold it. This is TLW.