You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Its Back

andym1954

First Hockey Night In Canada tonight Montreal at Toronto although we dont get it hear in the UK until tomorrow morning.

Hope the Leafs can bounce back from the opening defeat to Ottawa although Sundin is out for a few weeks.

Go Leafs

Sundin is gone for 4-6 weeks with fractured orbital bone from the puck he took in his eye.

Montreal look to be very good this year- fast young team and I fear Toronto is too old to keep pace. Could be a long year. Wonder if Martin O'Neill is interested in managing the Leafs.

Live from Toronto it's Hockey Night In Canada....den-den-den-den den-den-da-da-da-dadaaaaaa den-de-deden-den-da-da-da....

Live from Toronto it's Hockey Night In Canada....den-den-den-den den-den-da-da-da-dadaaaaaa den-de-deden-den-da-da-da....

What a cracking match once the first period was over.

Looks to me that the rule changes have made the game far more exciting and if last nights scores are anything to go by there are going to be loads more goals.

I am in Florida next month for a holiday and will be going to see Tampa Bay play the NY Rangers - should be good.

NP, given your support of Liverpool I feel I should support an ice hockey team - on a transatlantic exchange basis. Unfortunately, I don't know any ice hockey teams in Canada, so who should I be supporting, and what is their website?

NP, given your support of Liverpool I feel I should support an ice hockey team - on a transatlantic exchange basis. Unfortunately, I don't know any ice hockey teams in Canada, so who should I be supporting, and what is their website?

The Montreal Canadiens (Les Glorieux or Les blue-blanc-rouges) are the most succesful, with 24 Stanley Cups. Next is the Toronto Maple Leafs, with 13.

Montreal and Toronto have had a historic rivalry (sort of like a Canada Merseyside derby) but not as much anymore as the Yanks have taken over and now have 24 of the 30 teams. With hyper-gay names like 'Predators' or 'Panthers' or 'Mighty Ducks'.

I'd go with the Leafs, as I've been a fan since I crossed the ocean on teh QE II in 1981. However, the majority of web sites are nothing like Liverpool websites. I've only browsed the odd one, but I reckon this sums it up:

Leaf Fan: Go Leafs Go.

Sen#1: You suck.

Leafs #1: Sens suck BIG TIME.

Rashid: Who the fuck signed Zdeno Chara (6ft 9 in defenceman). What a lanky streak of piss.

Leafsrule: Sens really suck.

Sen#1: Leafs really suck BIG BIG TIME.

The game has improved tenfold with rule changes- come on Noos and Ross, you know at 230AM GMT you'll have had your sex wee and will be checking out the NHL on Channel 5 (?) listening to the famous organ music and singing Stompin' Tom Connors 'The Good Ol' Hockey Game'---

The best game you can name

Is the good ol' hockey game

And the name of the best game

Is the good ol' hockey game

NP tell him the best team is the Flyers. You will love the history of the BROAD STREET BULLIES

Remember during the Cold War when they played Red Army and Bobby Clarke (froim Flin Flon, Manitoba) and the boys roughed them up so bad the Ruskies didn't come out for the 2nd period.

And they say Maggie and Ronnie ended the Cold War.

Dave 'the Hammer' Schulz. Players used to get the Philly Flu when it came time to play them.

Remember during the Cold War when they played Red Army and Bobby Clarke (froim Flin Flon, Manitoba) and the boys roughed them up so bad the Ruskies didn't come out for the 2nd period.

And they say Maggie and Ronnie ended the Cold War.

Dave 'the Hammer' Schulz. Players used to get the Philly Flu when it came time to play them.

I miss the good old days when i was 1 yr. old. Heard most of the stories and saw clips later though. NP, do you still recognize the original US teams?

Minnesota North Stars

Oakland (California) Golden Seals

Los Angeles Kings

St. Louis Blues

Philadelphia Flyers

Pittsburgh Penguins

The North Stars moved to Dallas and became the Dallas Stars.

The Seals moved to Cleveland and became the Barons and then merged with the North Stars.

In between 72-74 the League added the Vancouver Canucks, Atlanta Flames (who moved to Calgary) Kansas City Scouts (who moved to Colorado to become the Rockies, who then moved to NJ to become the Devils), Washington Capitals, BUffalo Sabres, NY Islanders.

In 79 the WHL folded and the Edmonton Oilers, Quebec Nordiques (who moved to Colorado to become the Avalanche), HArtford Whalers (who moved to Carolina to become the Hurricanes) and Winnipeg Jets (who moved to Phoenix to become the Coyotes).

Then 92 saw the Tampa Bay Lightning and Ottawa Senators. Then the Nashville Predators, Florida Panthers, Columbus Blue Jackets and Atlanta Thrashers.

Test on Friday.

Minnesota North Stars

Oakland (California) Golden Seals

Los Angeles Kings

St. Louis Blues

Philadelphia Flyers

Pittsburgh Penguins

The North Stars moved to Dallas and became the Dallas Stars.

The Seals moved to Cleveland and became the Barons and then merged with the North Stars.

In between 72-74 the League added the Vancouver Canucks, Atlanta Flames (who moved to Calgary) Kansas City Scouts (who moved to Colorado to become the Rockies, who then moved to NJ to become the Devils), Washington Capitals, BUffalo Sabres, NY Islanders.

In 79 the WHL folded and the Edmonton Oilers, Quebec Nordiques (who moved to Colorado to become the Avalanche), HArtford Whalers (who moved to Carolina to become the Hurricanes) and Winnipeg Jets (who moved to Phoenix to become the Coyotes).

Then 92 saw the Tampa Bay Lightning and Ottawa Senators. Then the Nashville Predators, Florida Panthers, Columbus Blue Jackets and Atlanta Thrashers.

Test on Friday.

I was thinking more of the Rangers, Blackhawks, Red Wings, Bruins, and....help me out. I live literally across the street from the Panthers Arena(who the fuck knows what it is called this year) and only go to games when the Flyers and original teams come to town. What do you think of the new rules?

I think you are going back further than i am thinking. Maybe the right question is the first NHL teams. There may have been only 69that comes to mind) and we named them already. NY, CHI, DET, BOS, MONT, and TOR. Meant to ask you, you would not remember a musician in St. Johns that frquented the pubs named Billy O'donovan? Far shot but i figured i ask.

I think you are going back further than i am thinking. Maybe the right question is the first NHL teams. There may have been only 69that comes to mind) and we named them already. NY, CHI, DET, BOS, MONT, and TOR. Meant to ask you, you would not remember a musician in St. Johns that frquented the pubs named Billy O'donovan? Far shot but i figured i ask.

No, but I don't go clubbing in St Johns.

George Street can be pretty wild at times. The women can outdrink the men. If I do go it's to the Duke of Duckworth, closest thing thaty shows footie and there are a few Reds there.

As someone who knows little about kockey, but enjoys watching it, the Flyers are the team that I 'follow'. This is mainly because they were the team i picked when playing "Fox Hockey" on the playstation at Uni and me kicking everyone's ass with them and John Le Clair ran pretty much the whole show for me.

I just had a look on their website and noticed they have signed up Peter Forsberg, is he still as good as he was a couple of seasons ago? Also, who was i that played up front for them last time it was on, I cant remember his name was it Lindberg or something like that?