You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man Utd (A) - Sun 7th Apr 2024 (3:30pm)

Just now, BeefStroganoff said:

Theres too much science in sport and too much data analysed. Theres far more influences than just those things when it comes to playing a game.

But thats ok you keep rattling on. The Konate decision is a direct result of what happened today.

I imagine one of those influences was the flying kick to the knee but then we probably shouldn't have played him against Sheffield and that wasn't a medical decision.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TD_LFC said:

I imagine one of those influences was the flying kick to the knee but then we probably shouldn't have played him against Sheffield and that wasn't a medical decision.

Oh do one.

Players are powder puff these days. If he cant play two matches a week he needs binning.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

Yeah I know what you mean. We’re absolutely shite at game management. We conceded a goal at home to a Sheffield United side who were barely even trying to get out of their own half!

The really annoying part is that the game was being managed beautifully in the 1st half. We scored on a set piece and then after, putting everyone behind the ball at times and picking our spots on when to break really well. Textbook stuff.

That's why it's Quansah's fault, really. Once it's 1-1, you have to chase the game again and Man United have genuinely thrived against us when the game is open, to their credit. They are one of the few teams where we have been outgunned when the game is that way. 

But if the Quansah mistake doesn't happen, we could have continued keeping them at arms length.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Oh do one.

Players are powder puff these days. If he cant play two matches a week he needs binning.

You should be delighted, if we appoint Amorim and switch to three at the back it might necessitate the need for two defenders rather than one to cover.

Nobody likes more players more than you.

Just now, TD_LFC said:

You should be delighted, if we appoint Amorim and switch to three at the back it might necessitate the need for two defenders rather than one to cover.

Nobody likes more players more than you.

He won't be watching, mate. Just sick of football.

Anyway, Man United are in our heads. Three utterly miserable displays against them this season. We were far better against Man City in both games, a vastly superior side.

At least we don’t have to play them again this season.

Had to laugh at Casemiro kicking the ball out of play when when of ours was (not very) injured. Roles reversed, I’d be baying for one of our players to be immediately subbed for the same offence.

The draw isn't the issue, you'd have probably taken that given the context and location, the issue is having them by the balls and instead of squeezing, you turn around and pull your pants down.

Winners don't do that. 

• Upvote 13

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

The really annoying part is that the game was being managed beautifully in the 1st half. We scored on a set piece and then after putting everyone behind the ball at times and picking our spots on when to break really well. Textbook stuff.

That's why it's Quansah's fault, really. Once it's 1-1, you have to chase the game again and Man United have genuinely thrived against us when the game is open, to their credit. They are one of the few teams where we have been outgunned when the game is that way. 

But if the Quansah mistake doesn't happen, we could have continued keeping them at arms length.

Disagree, pal. Stuff like that will happen with young defenders. But once again, same as last month, we should have been out of sight by the time he messed up. 

We’re set up so that our three attackers can prosper. They’re not at all at the moment despite opportunity after opportunity after opportunity, particularly the one whose agent negotiated himself a £400k per week deal. 

I honestly believe the rest of our season depends on Jota hitting the ground running. 

• Upvote 1

Sad truth is we've never had a front three that works as a unit the way salah, mane and Firminho did.

It feels like we have to have five shots to get a goal. The idea of being under the kosh for 89 minutes, having one chance and grabbing one goal for a one-nil win doesn't feel like something we can do.

The heavy metal has to be cranked up to the max, the second it's not we go a goal down after 10 seconds.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Disagree, pal. Stuff like that will happen with young defenders. But once again, same as last month, we should have been out of sight by the time he messed up. 

We’re set up so that our three attackers can prosper. They’re not at all at the moment despite opportunity after opportunity after opportunity, particularly the one whose agent negotiated himself a £400k per week deal. 

I honestly believe the rest of our season depends on Jota hitting the ground running. 

The xG was something like 1.65 at the end of the first half. Maybe we score one more based on that, but it wasn't a travesty, really. Also, fans have a tendency to believe a lot of half chances should be easily converted when in practice, that can't be true.

Anyway, I agree the finishing is generally not ideal, but we know the deal with most of these forwards.

Simply put we blew it today. We were completely on top and a slack pass from Quansah was capitalised on and the game swung on that.

Out of our hands now, Arsenal's goal difference looks insurmountable. Thankfully they have 3 or 4 tough games left.

44 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Question. If we won today whilst obviously beneficial would it have meant we would definitely have won the league? If so, does that mean today’s draw means we definitely won’t?

You know the answer to both questions. Beating a rival (not a title rival in this case) gives momentum.

Like it did for Arsenal when they beat us. 

Like it did for City when they beat Arsenal last season.

We're their fucking Everton...

Since United returned to the top flight games at Old Trafford all competitions:

10 Liverpool Victories   17.86%
18 Draws   32.14%
28 Manchester United Victories    50.00%

That's not far off the roll of a dice and calling for a 6.

It would be good if the club could have a bit of a dive into this pattern alongside our results at Goodison and Stafford bridge as we may as well not play those fixtures and start off with a 6 to 7 point deduction each season.

1231388604_Grimreading.thumb.png.7f3ba37a3e49abc2fe872fa68798bee8.png

I said it in the build up, Gakpo would surely have finished one of the 20 shots we had early on if he had started. Nunez would have been perfect to bring on when the match had gone batshit mental in the last 25mins 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Moctezuma said:

Why the fuck in ostensibly in one of the biggest games of the season are we not selecting one of the best centre halves in the league?

If the medical and coaching teams knew he couldn't do two games in a week then why was he played on Thursday night?

Truly bizarre shooting of ourselves in the foot, tired of how badly we manage his fitness.

Also what did I fucking say.. tired of how inept we are at game prioritisation for Konate.

8 minutes ago, Carra_is_legend said:

You know the answer to both questions. Beating a rival (not a title rival in this case) gives momentum.

Like it did for Arsenal when they beat us. 

Like it did for City when they beat Arsenal last season.

Am I losing the plot or have you quoted that again? Not being funny.

It does give momentum of course but on this occasion I don’t see it as be all and end all. In years gone by probably.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Am I losing the plot or have you quoted that again? Not being funny.

It does give momentum of course but on this occasion I don’t see it as be all and end all. In years gone by probably.

No idea why this message came twice mate.

5 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Man U have won 1 of their last 5 league games. 

I guarantee they won't win their next league game. 

Why do we make them look good?

We made their manager say that he was disappointed after the game instead of making him cry.

49 minutes ago, LFC 6 Times said:

Simply put we blew it today. We were completely on top and a slack pass from Quansah was capitalised on and the game swung on that.

Out of our hands now, Arsenal's goal difference looks insurmountable. Thankfully they have 3 or 4 tough games left.

Arsenal will put 6 past that Man Utd team, mate.  We're not clawing that difference back.

The truth is, they beat Sheffield by about 7 or something, they beat us, and they'll bury the mancs.  I've changed my mind about them, and they will probably deserve to win it. 

Edit: confession about Arsenal - uncomfortable as it is.