You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

PODCAST: Liverpool 2 Brighton 1 - Match Reaction

The Reds returned to thePremier League summit after goals from Diaz and Salah erased an early setback to see off a tricky Brighton side.

Chris Smith is joined by TLW Editor Dave Usher and Paul Natton to discuss a potentially pivotal day in the title race, with a draw in the City and Arsenal game putting us in pole position for the only fitting end to the Klopp era.

We'll discuss the many permutations of the run-in and (mostly) keep the disappointment about Xabi Alonso's decision to stay with Leverkusen in check.

View full article

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 5

• dave u pinned this topic

I was thinking while listening, of the 14 players that played today, only 3 have won the league with us. 

I know we feel like we have been here before and players like Diaz were around in 21/22, when we did enough to win most leagues, and we have finished every season well since 2019, we are playing inexperienced sides at the moment.

We really could do with the injured players back to have a little more experience on the pitch over the next 9 games 

• Upvote 2

Dave touched on it recently and it got a full airing in this podcast: what defines the Klopp era is the home form. My record in games I've been at under Klopp is P35 W28 D7 L0 F100 A27. That doesn't tell the whole story though. Only once did Liverpool take the lead and fail to win, and that was the 5-5 draw with Arsenal in the League Cup that was won on penalties. Most incredibly though, they've gone behind 13 times in those games. 13! The consensus yesterday was that the Man City-Arsenal game was dogshit viewing, Mr Freedom-For-Catalonia-Slavery-For-Abu-Dhabi and his (footballing) protege stinking the place out with their forensic view of the game. Chris seemed a little awkward about saying it has been a privilege to get to see so many games with Klopp as the manager. I'm quite unabashed about it. It's been such a thrill, and when things go to shit (relatively speaking) in the next few years, I'm determined that I'll view this period as a case of 'tis better to have loved and lost' than marinating in misery.

• Upvote 12

That's kind of what I was getting at when I said as long as Klopp gets the send off he deserves, with a title and a parade, then I'll just take whatever comes next in my stride. If it goes to shit, so be it, but as long as Klopp gets his happy ending that's fine.

The thought of him missing out again and then it going to shit for us is pretty sickening though.

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, deiseach said:

Dave touched on it recently and it got a full airing in this podcast: what defines the Klopp era is the home form. My record in games I've been at under Klopp is P35 W28 D7 L0 F100 A27. That doesn't tell the whole story though. Only once did Liverpool take the lead and fail to win, and that was the 5-5 draw with Arsenal in the League Cup that was won on penalties. Most incredibly though, they've gone behind 13 times in those games. 13! The consensus yesterday was that the Man City-Arsenal game was dogshit viewing, Mr Freedom-For-Catalonia-Slavery-For-Abu-Dhabi and his (footballing) protege stinking the place out with their forensic view of the game. Chris seemed a little awkward about saying it has been a privilege to get to see so many games with Klopp as the manager. I'm quite unabashed about it. It's been such a thrill, and when things go to shit (relatively speaking) in the next few years, I'm determined that I'll view this period as a case of 'tis better to have loved and lost' than marinating in misery.

If it sounded awkward, I sometimes feel a little sheepish that I get to travel from abroad to attend games whereas others put in more hard yards than me in maintaining their membership credits and people who live locally aren't able to go very often.

• Upvote 3

Really good podcast!

Regarding the title, I'm in exactly the same place as you @Chris

It's only really hit me this weekend that might actually win this fucking thing. I've been in denial for the most of the season, but now I'm getting the weird mix of fear/excitement going in to every game!

• Upvote 2

Finally listened to this episode this morning (I’m away with the family for Easter so had to spend yesterday visiting boring castles and museums in a coastal town I barely give a toss about) - not sure I’ve nodded more while listening to the TLW pod, from Paul talking about what a privilege it’s been to follow Klopp’s Liverpool to Chris talking about how he’s “scared” to get excited about us winning the title to Dave talking about getting the title won and then worrying about what comes next - yes, yes, yes. How I feel about everything. 

On a(nother) good point Paul made about whoever replaces Klopp needing to emotionally connect with the fanbase - totally agree but, in disagreement with Paul, I’d suggest Houllier and Benitez didn’t actually do much to emotionally connect with the fans - there were no standout soundbites or fist bumps - they ultimately connected with us by winning, and in the end that was the difference between them and Hodgson and Rodgers. So, really, that’s all the new guy has to do - win. 

Saying that, like most Reds I’m really uninspired by the choices to replace Klopp now Alonso has ruled himself out of the running. If I had to pick someone, I’d probably go with De Zerbi - he’s done really well at Brighton, plays really good football and seems like a bit of a dude; I can definitely see his face on a Love Follow Conquer t-shirt.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, JeanMichelFerriacrosstheMersey said:

I’d suggest Houllier and Benitez didn’t actually do much to emotionally connect with the fans - there were no standout soundbites or fist bumps - they ultimately connected with us by winning, and in the end that was the difference between them and Hodgson and Rodgers. So, really, that’s all the new guy has to do - win. 

True to a degree, as without winning the connection wouldn't have happened. Houllier was a walking soundbite though, he came out with loads of inspirational stuff and he definitely "got us" in a way that most others wouldn't have.

Don't know if the lack of posts in this thread reflects lower listenership with it being Easter but I'd suggest anyone that hasn't listened takes a couple of hours out to enjoy. I thought it was brilliant from start to finish, starts with a cracker on Joey Barton and just gets better.

I agreed with everything in it, especially the intricacies of the midfield, I find watching the reds v Brighton is when I doubt myself most about what's happening on a football pitch. Virgil ended pressing or semi pressing beyond the midfield multiple times, no idea what led to that. Darwin had a quiet enough game but then Mo was clear through or close to it about 8 times. That doesn't happen unless Darwin is doing something very tactical that is beyond us mere mortals, especially those watching on TV.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, No2 said:

Don't know if the lack of posts in this thread reflects lower listenership with it being Easter but I'd suggest anyone that hasn't listened takes a couple of hours out to enjoy. I thought it was brilliant from start to finish, starts with a cracker on Joey Barton and just gets better.

I agreed with everything in it, especially the intricacies of the midfield, I find watching the reds v Brighton is when I doubt myself most about what's happening on a football pitch. Virgil ended pressing or semi pressing beyond the midfield multiple times, no idea what led to that. Darwin had a quiet enough game but then Mo was clear through or close to it about 8 times. That doesn't happen unless Darwin is doing something very tactical that is beyond us mere mortals, especially those watching on TV.

I think Virgil pressing was Jurgen’s tactical response to Brighton’s system - a risky move but it stopped them working a man free a few times.  

4 minutes ago, aws said:

I think Virgil pressing was Jurgen’s tactical response to Brighton’s system - a risky move but it stopped them working a man free a few times.  

I get that, it's the why I don't get. What would have been the consequences of Virgil saying put like 99% of other CB's? Why not pass players on? Things like these I would need an geek analysis of access to wide angle cameras. 

21 minutes ago, No2 said:

I get that, it's the why I don't get. What would have been the consequences of Virgil saying put like 99% of other CB's? Why not pass players on? Things like these I would need a geek analysis of access to wide angle cameras. 

I suppose the plan was to keep them smothered in their half rather than have a free man breaking the press and having a run at the defence.  It looked really risky but seemed to work.  I’m not sure I’d like to see it against better sides.  

3 hours ago, No2 said:

Yeah agree with all of that. Virgil wasn't doing it all the time but there were a few occasions when he was pressing higher up than Endo. It did seem to work well, although I think that joke booking he got was a result of it (might be wrong, but I think he was chasing back after pressing someone).

6 hours ago, dave u said:

True to a degree, as without winning the connection wouldn't have happened. Houllier was a walking soundbite though, he came out with loads of inspirational stuff and he definitely "got us" in a way that most others wouldn't have.

True, but Rodgers also came out with some belters, like talking about promising to dedicate his life to fighting for the club, and ultimately he wasn’t a success and we didn’t truly take to him because he didn’t win. It’s all about that in the end. 

We’ve just been really lucky with Klopp in that he’s given us that strong emotional connection with how he behaves and the principals he holds as well as also being a genius football manager. Christ I’m bummed about him leaving. 

Chris says will we now talk about Alonso.  I crack open a beer and get out the popcorn and ready myself for Dave joining the Johnny-bus.  And then the sensible brothers stop him before he's taken his first stride.  And yet again I'm sat here, cock popcorn in hand, disappointed.  

I did want Alonso though.  And now the uncertainty has left me concerned, but I've found it easy to switch that off so I can enjoy this seasons and worry about it in the summer.  I'm 51 and so have had a decent portion of my adult life watching us be shite or mediocre, so I can appreciate the last 8 years and let the chips fall where they may for the coming few.  It's less stressful being mid-table anyway.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, JohnnyH said:

Chris says will we now talk about Alonso.  I crack open a beer and get out the popcorn and ready myself for Dave joining the Johnny-bus.  And then the sensible brothers stop him before he's taken his first stride.  And yet again I'm sat here, cock popcorn in hand, disappointed.  

I did want Alonso though.  And now the uncertainty has left me concerned, but I've found it easy to switch that off so I can enjoy this seasons and worry about it in the summer.  I'm 51 and so have had a decent portion of my adult life watching us be shite or mediocre, so I can appreciate the last 8 years and let the chips fall where they may for the coming few.  It's less stressful being mid-table anyway.

You should have been in the pub with us before the game mate, you'd have been proper emotional watching me go off on him.

6 hours ago, JohnnyH said:

Everybody had had a nice time up until that point and if he'd got started the run time would've doubled.

• Haha 1

On 02/04/2024 at 13:34, JeanMichelFerriacrosstheMersey said:

True, but Rodgers also came out with some belters, like talking about promising to dedicate his life to fighting for the club, and ultimately he wasn’t a success and we didn’t truly take to him because he didn’t win. It’s all about that in the end. 

We’ve just been really lucky with Klopp in that he’s given us that strong emotional connection with how he behaves and the principals he holds as well as also being a genius football manager. Christ I’m bummed about him leaving. 

Ugh god, fucking Rodgers. The thought of going back to a fucking cringelord like him chills the bones. 

In fact, that entire few years makes me want to cringe so hard my spine might snap.

Brendan Rodgers Liverpool we're on our way to glory.... build a team like Shankly did our kids will have a storryyyyyy. 

Fucking VOMIT.

That poetry in motion / we are Liverpool shit that's somehow stuck around is just as bad. 

I totally fell out of love with the club during that period, for the only time in my life.

7 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

Chris - you say that you've flown over four times for a title run in and four times it's gone wrong. Any way you could stay in the US this time mate? You can fly over for the next one.

Haha, didn't think about it possibly being me who was the problem all along. *Cancels flight*

Although "the next one" shout means I'll probably never see another.

• Upvote 2

• dave u unpinned this topic