You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City (H) - Sun 10th Mar 2024 (3:45pm)

6 minutes ago, an tha said:

Yeah - That is how teams stand players right on goal line and on top of keepers.

It’s obvious isn’t it - just never registered with me before. Mad

I think that was a pretty fair result. They were comfortable in the first half and our midfield didn't really have a grip of things and we were so poor on 2nd balls. Klopp, as he often does, gives them a couple of half time pointers and we're like a new team. Macca has a tremendous game, even shining in that poor first half. Diaz had one of those days. He worked so hard, but he was king Midas in reverse for the whole game. And finally, Nunez, was he injured when he went off. He'd completely stopped for about 5 minutes before he was subbed off. 

As for the "pen" at the end. It was obviously clear. But as someone else mentioned ( @an tha ?), that was a direct result of all that noise last week, so clattenburg can pat himself on the back. If it happens when the Darwin one happens, Oliver gives it on the pitch I think. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, Barrington Womble said:

I think that was a pretty fair result. They were comfortable in the first half and our midfield didn't really have a grip of things and we were so poor on 2nd balls. Klopp, as he often does, gives them a couple of half time pointers and we're like a new team. Macca has a tremendous game, even shining in that poor first half. Diaz had one of those days. He worked so hard, but he was king Midas in reverse for the whole game. And finally, Nunez, was he injured when he went off. He'd completely stopped for about 5 minutes before he was subbed off. 

As for the "pen" at the end. It was obviously clear. But as someone else mentioned ( @an tha ?), that was a direct result of all that noise last week, so clattenburg can pat himself on the back. If it happens when the Darwin one happens, Oliver gives it on the pitch I think. 

Aye was me...and spot on!

6 minutes ago, Red Shift said:

Robbo is fit, and for me Robbo is first choice LB. As for his dip ‘from the highs of his peak’ I really do think it’s because Diaz is taking a lot of space that traditionally Robbo got into. In fact we’ve even seen Diaz go to left back in an emergency. I would like to see how Diaz can go on the right, working with Conner and obviously Trent when fit. Robbo then has the left wing all to himself.

I thought about earier when they did a little link up.

Robertson and Mane were a unit, they knew each other and their movements, Diaz is too much of a liv wire and wild for that constancy.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Bruce Spanner said:

I thought about earier when they did a little link up.

Robertson and Mane were a unit, they knew each other and their movements, Diaz is too much of a liv wire and wild for that constancy.

Personally I think Diaz is unusual for the type of player klopp has brought in, in so much the ability in his feet are not matched by the ability in his brain. He's clearly super talented, but he can be thick as shit sometimes. Today was one of those days. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Red Shift said:

Robbo is fit, and for me Robbo is first choice LB. As for his dip ‘from the highs of his peak’ I really do think it’s because Diaz is taking a lot of space that traditionally Robbo got into. In fact we’ve even seen Diaz go to left back in an emergency. I would like to see how Diaz can go on the right, working with Conner and obviously Trent when fit. Robbo then has the left wing all to himself.

Robbo is only effective if he has space to run into.  If he's not, his one-footedness means play usually goes backwards. And his defending is suspect - he's often caught out of position after making the wrong choice , and he turns his back on the ball when the attacker is crossing or shooting.  Don't get me wrong, I don't think he's a bad player, just more limited than the alternatives.  He's a decent crosser of the ball - he hit a great cross from open play today - and he's very energetic, but I think the other parts of his play are often questionable.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Barrington Womble said:

Personally I think Diaz is unusual for the type of player klopp has brought in, in so much the ability in his feet are not matched by the ability in his brain. He's clearly super talented, but he can be thick as shit sometimes. Today was one of those days. 

Makes Milan Baros look like he had a 360 view cam at times.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Don't say it too loud, but I wouldn't be averse to see him replaced, but that's based on a Klopp team obviously.

He's very good, but not a direct missle like Klopp players need to be to be effective in this system.

2 minutes ago, kemskem said:

Refereeing decisions aside losing Jota could be crucial. We’re winning that today comfortably with him.

Even coming off the bench instead of Gakpo would have been the difference. 

5 minutes ago, stringvest said:

Robbo is only effective if he has space to run into.  If he's not, his one-footedness means play usually goes backwards. And his defending is suspect - he's often caught out of position after making the wrong choice , and he turns his back on the ball when the attacker is crossing or shooting.  Don't get me wrong, I don't think he's a bad player, just more limited than the alternatives.  He's a decent crosser of the ball - he hit a great cross from open play today - and he's very energetic, but I think the other parts of his play are often questionable.

Robertson will go down as one of the best left backs we've ever had, and by extension the best the league has ever seen.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

1 minute ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Don't say it too loud, but I wouldn't be averse to see him replaced, but that's based on a Klopp team obviously.

He's very good, but not a direct missle like Klopp players need to be to be effective in this system.

Yep, I don't think the game would have been a draw had Jota been fit enough to play.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Scooby Dudek said:

Taking the emotion away, obviously the penalty helped the shift but I can't remember a second half where we absolutely battered City like we did today. 

I think they had one shot on target second half, which was Foden. We could/should have easily scored four that second half. 

Poor finishing cost us, however we were still robbed by the corrupt cuts in black. 

They had about 10 minutes in the ascendancy, but we rode it out and reasserted our supremacy.

A few factors in our favour for final ten games:

Jones, Gravenberch and Jota gradually coming back. Not even mentioning Alisson given that we’re not really missing him.

Europa League fixtures v Champions League fixtures. Probably good for us if Arsenal get past Porto, as that will be a huge distraction. Hopefully City draw Arsenal or Real. Generally, we’re likely to have easier games.

Whole circus around City v Arsenal game will take focus off us for a bit.

Experience of winning. Ourselves and Man City have it, Arsenal don’t yet.

7 minutes ago, stringvest said:

So with Lucho in the wide front role, are you accepting of Robbo’s slightly different role?

1 minute ago, stringvest said:

Yep, I don't think the game would have been a draw had Jota been fit enough to play.

And if Robbo had started, fit obviously, we would have had much more impact in the first half.

If me auntie had balls etc

Jota, admittedly, is a gamechanger.

15 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

So where where their 3 clear cut chances they definitely should have finished?

I'm not agreeing with Stones.

I'm saying XG is nonsense.

They are not mutually exclusive.