You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City (H) - Sun 10th Mar 2024 (3:45pm)

I think this Arsenal team would have a great chance of winning the league in any other time in the history of football in England. This isn't any other time though this is the time of industrial level cheats, a time where its almost impossible to win it. The only reason we have a change is because of Klopp, Arsenal don't have Klopp which gives them fuck all chance really.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RedHeadedRed said:

I think this Arsenal team would have a great chance of winning the league in any other time in the history of football in England. This isn't any other time though this is the time of industrial level cheats, a time where its almost impossible to win it. The only reason we have a change is because of Klopp, Arsenal don't have Klopp which gives them fuck all chance really.

We would have titles fucking galore any other time in history. And if those cheating cunts weren't there we'd still be stopping Arsenal from winning it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Reckoner said:

I don’t think that was a pen at the end. There’s a higher barometer in the pen area, always has been. 

You think it’s right that foul play in the box is judged differently to those outside it?

3 hours ago, stringvest said:

Robbo is only effective if he has space to run into.  If he's not, his one-footedness means play usually goes backwards. And his defending is suspect - he's often caught out of position after making the wrong choice , and he turns his back on the ball when the attacker is crossing or shooting.  Don't get me wrong, I don't think he's a bad player, just more limited than the alternatives.  He's a decent crosser of the ball - he hit a great cross from open play today - and he's very energetic, but I think the other parts of his play are often questionable.

Yeah I've thought similar tbh. He's quite predictable and is probably easy to play against if your team are playing deep. Know know what he's going to do and can press him more.

38 minutes ago, Smell The Glove said:

Where do you think Arsenal will finish? Do you think they'll beat Dhabi away? If the answer is 3rd and no the rest of your post is irrelevant apart from they're a good side

Too close to call there could be a ciggie paper between 1st and 3rd - any of the 3 could win it, the margins are razor thin.

The point is that IMO there is a general view here that arsenal are not serious contenders and are nailed on to shit the bed, and people are very dismissive of them and i just don't agree with it.

2 minutes ago, an tha said:

Too close to call there could be a ciggie paper between 1st and 3rd - any of the 3 could win it, the margins are razor thin.

The point is that IMO there is a general view here that arsenal are not serious contenders and are nailed on to shit the bed, and people are very dismissive of them and i just don't agree with it.

Fair enough . I'm not dismissive just don't think they'll beat Man City and definitely don't think they'll handle the pressure.

36 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Leagues aren't won on such a small sample size of games though are they. It's how you do consistently over a long term and when it comes to run ins, are you a team that finishes strong. Clearly city are. Every year we have been too, even in the 2 bad seasons under klopp, we've finished well. Arsenal on the other hand have blown up in this phase of the season the last 2 years. It's easy to forget, but they were absolutely flying this time last year too, then just drew for weeks at a time and completely lost it. @AngryOfTuebrook pointed out on another thread, after 29 games last season, they were 5 points clear of city. I checked the year before and at the same point they were 3 clear of spurs in the run in for 4th. They failed both times. I think (rightly) that's why nobody is really arsed what arsenal do. If they're still top with 3 games to go, they're a discussion. Until then, they're just arsenal. 

Nobody is saying they are won in such small samples - it was just an example of how good a side they are, a side a lot of our fans seem to think are a joke.

They are a young side who have bought very well (after years of buying badly) and have added steel they previously didn't have and they'll have learned a lot from last year - title winning sides often have a near miss season or two or a campaign where they blow up late, before going on to win it in subsequent years.

I am not saying arsenal will win it this year, all i am saying is that they have as much chance as we do IMO and just aren't this guaranteed to bottle it, non threat that many seem to think they are.

1 minute ago, Smell The Glove said:

Fair enough . I'm not dismissive just don't think they'll beat Man City and definitely don't think they'll handle the pressure.

Time will tell.

I hope they lose nearly every game from now to end of season frankly!! Draw with abu dhabi and lego heads head explodes....and of course we win title.

2 minutes ago, an tha said:

Nobody is saying they are won in such small samples - it was just an example of how good a side they are, a side a lot of our fans seem to think are a joke.

They are a young side who have bought very well (after years of buying badly) and have added steel they previously didn't have and they'll have learned a lot from last year - title winning sides often have a near miss season or two or a campaign where they blow up late, before going on to win it in subsequent years.

I am not saying arsenal will win it this year, all i am saying is that they have as much chance as we do IMO and just aren't this guaranteed to bottle it, non threat that many seem to think they are.

Nothing in football is a guarantee. But if you had a bet on where they'd finish this season, you wouldn't pick 3rd? 

Just now, Barrington Womble said:

Nothing in football is a guarantee. But if you had a bet on where they'd finish this season, you wouldn't pick 3rd? 

As i said to smell the glove it is for me too tight to call and the gap between 1st and 3rd could be razor thin, like it is now.

Obviously only one team can win it - if i had to bet my life on it, i'd bet on abu dhabi (sadly) but i feel strongly whoever wins it will really need to win it, i can't see any collapses happening. Can i see arsenal winning it? Yes....but i can make at least as strong a case for us as well - i am just not in this arsenal are a joke camp that some are (not necessarily or just here by way, i have mates who are saying it too and laugh at any suggestion arsenal are even in the race)

15 minutes ago, an tha said:

11 minutes ago, stringvest said:

I don't think Arsenal will bottle it, it's too close to call atm.

People call Liverpool bottlers every year.

Arsenal are the one side who has not done it so they certainly have the most pressure on them.

At seasons end I doubt the three sides will be bunched tightly together - probably a five point spread by then and no GD nonsense involved.

Just now, TheHowieLama said:

People call Liverpool bottlers every year.

Arsenal are the one side who has not done it so they certainly have the most pressure on them.

At seasons end I doubt the three sides will be bunched tightly together - probably a five point spread by then and no GD nonsense involved.

Aye didn't we "bottle it" when we got 97 pts and didn't lose for months....

2 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Without mentioning that the Foden one would’ve been ruled out for handball if it went in.

was above his sleeve there - goal.

Just been on MOTD again. Hits his upper arm first and then there’s a second contact with his hand. Wouldn’t have counted if it went in. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, an tha said:

As i said to smell the glove it is for me too tight to call and the gap between 1st and 3rd could be razor thin, like it is now.

Obviously only one team can win it - if i had to bet my life on it, i'd bet on abu dhabi (sadly) but i feel strongly whoever wins it will really need to win it, i can't see any collapses happening. Can i see arsenal winning it? Yes....but i can make at least as strong a case for us as well - i am just not in this arsenal are a joke camp that some are (not necessarily or just here by way, i have mates who are saying it too and laugh at any suggestion arsenal are even in the race)

I would be surprised if arsenal don't finish 3-5 points behind 2nd. Their ends to the season in the last 2 years have been awful. They've been lucky with injuries so far and over the last few months, I think being out of both domestic cups has helped them. For me the only way I can see them finishing strong enough to challenge us and city is if they go out to Porto in the week and get a week to prepare for each game till the end of the season. And even then that could just as easily destroy their confidence. It's tight now for sure, but I think city will beat them in 3 weeks. 

As for the top 2, there's no doubt Abu Dhabi are favourites. But we know our team is capable of winning 10 from 10 in this type of situation - didn't we win something like 8 from 10 last year with that team? If we do 10/10, obviously it's ours. I think we'll need to win 9. I'm not sure we will manage that as I think we have too many away matches which are hard. 

1 minute ago, Nelly-Szoboszlai said:

Just been on MOTD again. Hits his upper arm first and then there’s a second contact with his hand. Wouldn’t have counted if it went in. 

He didn't even look like he was doing it consciously, but it definitely hit his hand last, no chance it was given if it had gone in.