You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Chelsea (N) - EFL Cup Final, Sun 25th Feb 2024 (3:00pm)

Trumo

2 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Yeah, it was annoying me as well. Apart from a couple of spells, we were the better side for the vast majority of the game.

They likely had the bigger, more clear cut, chances, Carra seems to have ignored we had chances of our own. 

And of course completely missed the goal stolen by VAR. If ever you wanted proof all VAR exists for if the officials getting the outcome they want, that was it. We scored 2 perfectly valid goals there yesterday. 

2 hours ago, Bob said:

I'm not even sure they even had that by any great degree.

Over 120 mins...

They hit the post from Gallagher, we hit the post from Gakpo. 

They had a scramble at the end of full time, we had the scramble in extra time from Harvey's header

They had the (righlty) disallowed goal, we had the (imo wrongly) disallowed goal.

Beyond that, Kelleher made his two really great saves which are the stand outs but we had chances elsewhere, including a cup winning goal.

It was pretty balanced overall I thought. As a game and in terms of chances.

I think Chelsea definitely had the better of the chances. You can see that with Kelleher being most people’s man of the match.

He was great, but at least two of his saves were from sitters and if Nunez had missed them this thread would have 30 more pages.

• Upvote 1

Took the kids to that yesterday. Lad's third final and daughters first. What a game for your first final. She's already planning Dublin now.

Thoughts on the game. The ref! I've seen some badly reffed games over the years and that was up there with them. Free kick every time their players fell to the floor but not a thing when we were getting hacked all over the place.

Only just seen the reason for the disallowed goal. If that's a reason to disallow a goal then you may as well abolish corners and free kicks as it's like a wrestling match every time and yet it very rarely results in anything. Only it seems when they are looking for something to rule a goal out.

Some immense performances, the goalie, Endo, Virgil, Harvey. Diaz. Second half of extra time and I just thought some of them are not going to get through this. Diaz was gone, the effort he put in was unbelievable.

All the kids as well. Wow.

However, if you want to see what makes the club special just look at the difference between the fans. When Chelsea did sing, which was rare, you could barely hear a thing. Whereas our lot never stopped. And that's where I think this game was won. Second half of extra time, Oley Oley Oley. Something special happened. It started off as normal but you could just feel it growing. You could sense the crowd realised the players needed it. I'm an old sod now and vary rarely sing at the game but absolutely everyone got swept up in it. Couldn't help but join in and you could see a change on the pitch. It honestly felt liked we'd told the lads it was ours to win and they reacted. At the same time Chelsea looked like they realised it was futile trying to stop it.  That was when I felt it was ours.

Football in general has been worse in the past few years. VAR, the money, the cheating and it is easy to get disillusioned with it but yesterday was like a throwback to what it should be about.

Let's go and win the rest now. 

• Upvote 25

13 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

And of course completely missed the goal stolen by VAR. If ever you wanted proof all VAR exists for if the officials getting the outcome they want, that was it. We scored 2 perfectly valid goals there yesterday. 

I don’t agree with the decision, by the letter of the law it’s likely the right call. 

Same as the Matip one in 2022. 

Either way, we won both, so fuck everybody else. 

5 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

maggies tea boy

doesnt even live here

I wonder where his taxes go.

Quick look at his Twitter account and he’s clearly a Thatcher fan boy. 

Instead of jumping to criticise supporters interrupt the national anthem, people should attempt to educate themselves on the reasons why it’s interrupted. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

I think Chelsea definitely had the better of the chances. You can see that with Kelleher being most people’s man of the match.

He was great, but at least two of his saves were from sitters and if Nunez had missed them this thread would have 30 more pages.

I said they didn't have it by a great degree. They had the one clear cut best chance, the first of Kellehers great saves, and then I'd say the next best few chances we could both point to having equivalents of. I'm not saying they didn't have the edge but it wasn't a huge edge. It wasn't a "how did they not win?" Kind of edge.

They should have really gone for us in ET but they didn’t have the legs, the courage or both.  Instead they sat back and let a team consisting of kids and players who played on Wednesday dominate proceedings and hoped to hit us on the break. Just like they had done for most of normal time.  Cowardly.  

12 minutes ago, The Midnight Rambler said:

Check out the piss boiling going on here.

There is a bit of talking out of both sides of the mouth in regards to Chelsea; it was a monumental achievement to beat them given the available squad, but they are shit and should have been beaten anyway.

It's an easy article to write and argument to make for someone who isn't partial to Liverpool and who is looking for reactions.

But in reality, with the level of talent Chelsea have, unrealized or misused as it may be, they should have won that game given our squad. It was a great achievement by us to win.

Like, I think people have to stop pretending Chelsea have a squad of bums. These are all very highly rated players they spent money on. Where they are in the table speaks to the fact you can't just buy talented players and completely disregard how to actually build a coherent squad with a real football idea behind it.

56 minutes ago, Jimmy Hills Chin said:

If it fucks up that prick's day I love our fans even more

Who the fuck is he anyway?  The onlr Niles I know are Niles Crane (fake pretentious tosser off the telly), Nile Rodgers (Music legend) and Nile River (fuck off big river in Africa).   This fella seems like a bit of a cunt. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

Who the fuck is he anyway?  The onlr Niles I know are Niles Crane (fake pretentious tosser off the telly), Nile Rodgers (Music legend) and Nile River (fuck off big river in Africa).   This fella seems like a bit of a cunt. 

I'd throw the cunt in it,where the biggest congregation of crocodiles assemble.

As for his tweet 'Chelsea fans are as submissive as their football team while Liverpool fans show the same pride and passion as their team.'

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

He's a tory 'commentator' who said this

The forcing out of @BorisJohnson is a disgrace. A dark day for Britain and democracy.

and is 

Director of The Heritage Foundation's Margaret Thatcher Center for Freedom

Probably all you need to know about the prick

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I wonder where his taxes go.

Quick look at his Twitter account and he’s clearly a Thatcher fan boy. 

Instead of jumping to criticise supporters interrupt the national anthem, people should attempt to educate themselves on the reasons why it’s interrupted. 

twitter has been full of serfs unhppy we interrupted their grovelling

36 minutes ago, AHA said:

Took the kids to that yesterday. Lad's third final and daughters first. What a game for your first final. She's already planning Dublin now.

Thoughts on the game. The ref! I've seen some badly reffed games over the years and that was up there with them. Free kick every time their players fell to the floor but not a thing when we were getting hacked all over the place.

Only just seen the reason for the disallowed goal. If that's a reason to disallow a goal then you may as well abolish corners and free kicks as it's like a wrestling match every time and yet it very rarely results in anything. Only it seems when they are looking for something to rule a goal out.

Some immense performances, the goalie, Endo, Virgil, Harvey. Diaz. Second half of extra time and I just thought some of them are not going to get through this. Diaz was gone, the effort he put in was unbelievable.

All the kids as well. Wow.

However, if you want to see what makes the club special just look at the difference between the fans. When Chelsea did sing, which was rare, you could barely hear a thing. Whereas our lot never stopped. And that's where I think this game was won. Second half of extra time, Oley Oley Oley. Something special happened. It started off as normal but you could just feel it growing. You could sense the crowd realised the players needed it. I'm an old sod now and vary rarely sing at the game but absolutely everyone got swept up in it. Couldn't help but join in and you could see a change on the pitch. It honestly felt liked we'd told the lads it was ours to win and they reacted. At the same time Chelsea looked like they realised it was futile trying to stop it.  That was when I felt it was ours.

Football in general has been worse in the past few years. VAR, the money, the cheating and it is easy to get disillusioned with it but yesterday was like a throwback to what it should be about.

Let's go and win the rest now. 

It seems churlish, but i have to call this out.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, aws said:

They should have really gone for us in ET but they didn’t have the legs, the courage or both.  Instead they sat back and let a team consisting of kids and players who played on Wednesday dominate proceedings and hoped to hit us on the break. Just like they had done for most of normal time.  Cowardly.  

The way I saw it too.

When Kloppo took Robbo, Macca and Gakpo off and replaced them with Tsimikas and kids, I admit my reaction was: "We better score a lucky goal before XT if we're going to win this. If we give Chelsea 30 extra mins we're dead".

Only, they didn't take advantage, we were arguably the better team in XT.  If there's actually such a thing as a Chelsea fan, he or she should be really pissed off by their teams abmyssal effort in XT. Takes nothing away from our kids though.

6 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

I was going to ask if we'd booed the anthem, as I missed the buildup. Seeing the above makes me happier.  

Fuck everyone who is not us.

Yeah it was booed alright, but not by the vast majority.

Personally I'd prefer keeping my gob shut. Watching one half of the Wembey crowd silent would be just as telling as booes, only without being disrespectful. No that I care much. The answer to your question is "Yes it was booed.

33 minutes ago, The Midnight Rambler said:

Check out the piss boiling going on here.

I manage to be a little bit sad to see F365's take on things. They are clearly determined to die on the hill that the team Liverpool finished the game with was as inexperienced as Chelsea's. A little sad, because they always seemed to value joy over misery when it came to football. I'm guessing the latter is where the clicks are these days. 

22 minutes ago, John102 said:

It seems churlish, but i have to call this out.

Yes I know. Allez. I told you I never sing and genuinely don’t bother learning the words to the newer songs. Honestly couldn’t recite anything from this century unless it’s got fewer than 2 words. One of symptoms of sitting in the Kemlyn for years.  So yesterday it was Oley Oley Oley. 

45 minutes ago, Jimmy Hills Chin said:

He's a tory 'commentator' who said this

The forcing out of @BorisJohnson is a disgrace. A dark day for Britain and democracy.

and is 

Director of The Heritage Foundation's Margaret Thatcher Center for Freedom

Probably all you need to know about the prick

So he is indeed a nasty cunt.