You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The best you’ve seen Liverpool Play

• 2 weeks later...

Of the games I was in the ground for, the 7-0 v Spurs in 78 takes some beating.

Spurs has signed Ardiles and Villa and had some good players including Glenn Hoddle but they were completely dismantled.

The build up to and including Terry Mac's header was a thing of beauty and is still one of the best goals I've ever seen.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

Of the games I was in the ground for, the 7-0 v Spurs in 78 takes some beating.

Spurs has signed Ardiles and Villa and had some good players including Glenn Hoddle but they were completely dismantled.

The build up to and including Terry Mac's header was a thing of beauty and is still one of the best goals I've ever seen.

Yep, I think that one and the 5-0 against a top Forest side are the two standouts for me.  

Spurs 7-0, Barca 4-0, Forest 5-0. I recorded the Forest game into VHS at the time as it was on Sportsnight and Tom Finney said it was "the finest exhibition of football I've ever seen in my life. I've seen Brazil but I've never seen them play at that pace". It was wonderful. From the Spurs game there was the box to box move finished with Terry Macs header. Majestic.

There's a game we played against Leeds, in Elland road when houllier was out with his heart issue. 

So obviously thommo was the interim manager at the time. If im not mistaken, it was one of those ppv games with sky sports. 

Can't remember the score exactly, but I remember it wasn't long after Gerrard was made captain and he was fucking unbelievable that day. The team played great and I genuinely thought we'd win the league that year. 

Anyone else remember that game by any chance? 

I think we won about 3-1 or something like that

I’ve been lucky to have seen most of the fantastic games already mentioned on here, in the flesh, but one that hasn’t been mentioned is the Chelsea semi-final in 2005.

Not a runaway win, not loads of great goals scored, but for what it meant after going so long without a Champions League/European Cup final appearance, for atmosphere and just the will of the crowd helping the players against, honestly, a much better Chelsea team, and for putting them in their place with Mourinho at the helm, it was a fabulous night.

Only matched for atmosphere by the Barcelona 4-0, but I wasn’t at the St Etienne game so can’t compare to that. But haven’t we been blessed compared to other clubs that can only dream of having one night to remember like the many we’ve enjoyed.

• Upvote 2

That 5 0 was special.

They had an excellent side then and we utterly destroyed them.

I think before then we had never really been known as a flair playing side but that team had it in abundance. 

Fucking travesty they never win the double.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...