You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Luton game rearrangement

an tha

Us making the Milk Cup Final means that our game at home to Luton needs to be reaaranged.

I feel this could be more important than maybe it looks.

If we are going to be involved in a tight title race with the cheats, we need every little bit of things that can go our way to go our way, and every little advantage we can eek out will be needed/we need to make sure we don't allow ourselves to be disadvantaged at all.

I am a big believer in pts on board being better than games in hand and falling a game behind and then who knows with how the games are scheduled across any weekend maybe 2 behind albeit for only a day or 2 and the 'scoreboard pressure' that brings, could be bad for us.

If we go deep in the fa cup and uefa cup then it gets even harder to get this game in and then leads to potentially really short turnarounds late in season and in a busy period - far from ideal.

We should IMO be pushing hard to get this played in next couple of weeks - it by far makes the most sense and is best for us.

Decent summary of it all in link below and the argument for getting it played in Feb is to me very compelling. I'd like to see us push for this and fight our corner if we get push back from the 'authorities' - especially given how they have accommodated abu dhabi in same situation previously.

https://www.empireofthekop.com/2024/01/26/liverpool-luton-new-fixture-date/

14 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

We should be taking three points against Luton no matter what, we're not fucking Everton.

Doesn't matter when it's played, if we don't beat the dross at home we don't deserve to win anything.

It can absolutely matter when it is played.

Imagine a high octane european semi final on a thurs followed by a big must win league game on sun with us neck and neck or a couple of pts behind abu dhabi, then this being stuck on the tues after - 3 games in 6 days - massive intensity and pressure across a short period and you can have problems with injuries/fatigue etc

Playing it in a free midweek in feb in a much less intense/critical period surely makes more sense/is better?

2 minutes ago, an tha said:

Imagine a high octane european semi final on a thurs followed by a big must win league game on sun with us neck and neck or a couple of pts behind abu dhabi, then this being stuck on the tues after - 3 games in 6 days - massive intensity and pressure across a short period and you can have problems with injuries/fatigue etc

Playing it in a free midweek in feb in a much less intense/critical period surely makes more sense/is better?

To us it might. But we’re not the one’s who need convincing!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, an tha said:

We have a big enough, and strong enough, squad for it to be just another game.

3 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

We have a big enough, and strong enough, squad for it to be just another game.

For me it isn't just about beating Luton - it is how it could be how when we play and beat Luton affects how we can perform in another big game. Why not look to minimise that risk and get it played at the best possible time for us...It could be razor thin margins with the cheats again.

• Upvote 1

Just now, an tha said:

For me it isn't just about beating Luton - it is how it could be how when we play and beat Luton affects how we can perform in another big game. Why not look to minimise that risk and get it played at the best possible time for us...

I get what you're saying and agree to a point.

If it was a superior team, or even a middling dangerous team, I'd be worried.

We want to win things, these are the results, it could have been much worse and we should, even with a rotated team, be giving Luton, at home, a fucking kicking.

1 minute ago, Bruce Spanner said:

We want to win things, these are the results, it could have been much worse and we should, even with a rotated team, be giving Luton, at home, a fucking kicking.

Fair do's

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

What if it's dropped in 3 days before a major league match, say versus city? Or the last weekend of the season. It's not just about the game you're playing, it's the days either side and the squad management that brings. 

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

What if it's dropped in 3 days before a major league match, say versus city? Or the last weekend of the season. It's not just about the game you're playing, it's the days either side and the squad management that brings. 

That's why I said rotated squad, Baz.

If it was City/Arse/Spurs etc its more of a concern, but we should be able to put out a team to beat Luton at home from the squad we have.

Just now, Bruce Spanner said:

That's why I said rotated squad, Baz.

If it was City/Arse/Spurs etc its more of a concern, but we should be able to put out a team to beat Luton at home from the squad we have.

Sure we should always beat Luton. I just don't think we should have to now to the PL on this when others don't. We should be fighting to play at the best time possible for us, even if that's just to save a few quid on hotel rooms in the titanic. 

Making assumptions we should wallop Luton, or any other team in the Premier League, is fraught with danger. Look how Watford beat us 3-0 a few seasons ago when we should have beaten them on form and league placing.

I agree we need to try and get the games arranged to give us the chance to field the strongest team we can, but those in charge might see it differently, especially if Abu Dhabi have a say in things.

8 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Luton play the mancs on the 21st.

Man City play Brentford on the 23rd, so dispensation has been given by UEFA for that already. 

Play it on the 24th. 

What month are you in here?

6 minutes ago, an tha said:

I've either missed the joke or you've got your dates confused then!

Yes, I have got the dates mixed up. D’oh. 

17th Feb - Brentford v Liverpool

18th Feb - Luton v Man Utd

WC 19th Feb is a European week. 

20th Feb - Man City don’t play in Europe but play Brentford.

21st Feb - Rearrange our Luton game for here. 

25th Feb - League Cup Final. 

I didn’t realise, Chelsea were due to play Spurs on Friday 23rd Feb. There is no reason that game can’t be moved to the 20th or 21st (or even the 22nd). They also

play at Man City on the 17th Feb.

Let the injuries and suspensions pile up before the final!