You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Crystal Palace (A) - Sat 25th Feb 2023 (7:45pm)

Trumo

2 hours ago, gkmacca said:

What would you prefer? 'We will win every game from now on, confound our critics and amaze our fans'? Words aren't magic wands.

One thing I've noticed over the years is that if managers are having a bad run, they start talking shite and none of us want to hear it, we just want the team to start winning again.

If they're winning, they could spend every press conference talking about obscure film noir and nobody would give a shit.

He's on a hiding to nothing whenever he opens his mouth at the moment but I think the less he says, the better.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Mook said:

He's on a hiding to nothing whenever he opens his mouth at the moment but I think the less he says, the better.

Yes, although even if he says very little, he'll just spark reactions such as 'He's a beaten man,' 'He sounds resigned,' 'He's out of ideas' 'He's got no answers' etc etc. The only thing that will help is to start winning again. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

Klopp has never really believed in attacking midfielders (hence I don't know why he buys them). It also hasn't helped Jones much.

He didn't have a clue what to do with Shaquiri and ended up dropping him.

His philosophy has always been that "a good counter pressing situation is better than any attacking midfielder" - i.e if you win the ball high up the pitch you don't need attacking midfielders. That is true enough but now our press is dogshit. 

I think its just hard to fit that sort of player into Klopp ball. Our wide players need to be direct goal theats and our central players need to contribute to the press. 

Its why Bajectic fits in so easily and Carvalho is a third wheel. 

The first part is absolutely not true. Two of his biggest star men at Dortmund were Kagawa and Gotze, two classic number 10's. 

There's no dogmatic aspect to Klopp's football where the fullbacks absolutely have to be attacking and the midfielders more pragmatic, it's just the way this team has mostly been constructed. That can be changed, though. 

16 hours ago, niallers said:

Our defence has been woeful all season yet they didn't register a shot on target! 3 league clean sheets in a row. 

Everton hit the post. Newcastle hit the bar (and Alisson had to make three world class saves). Palace hit the bar.

I can't really take anything from the clean sheets. We made as many errors last night as we did against Real Madrid but Mateta, Schlupp and Ayew are not Benzema, Vinicius and Modric!

1 minute ago, dave u said:

Everton hit the post. Newcastle hit the bar (and Alisson had to make three world class saves). Palace hit the bar.

I can't really take anything from the clean sheets. We made as many errors last night as we did against Real Madrid but Mateta, Schlupp and Ayew are not Benzema, Vinicius and Modric!

I agree, and the Madrid game is keeping me awake at night, but I'm clinging by my well chewed finger nails to the tiniest morsels of comfort. The ONLY positive was the, rather lucky, clean sheet. I'm loathe to stop watching the cunts play so I need something to keep me engaged. Glass 1/8 full and all that. 

I'd say the only positive is the point itself but it doesn't feel like it because we were shite. But if we beat Wolves that's 10 points from 12 and it doesn't matter too much how we got them. 

Of course we have to beat Wolves, otherwise the picture looks a whole lot worse.

4 hours ago, Reckoner said:

It would be very typical of us to draw with Wolves and when a new low point had been reached we beat United.

Usually. More typical this season though would be to get walloped by both sides. Wolves have already humiliated us and united could be a Real Madrid type score, they are solid and quick on the break while also being clinical. You've got two teams full of confidence against us a team that flaps controlling a basic pass. 

I'm being overly down on us but we are watching the same shit week after week and players being unfathomably shit. I just can't accept that the extra games we played last year has this much effect right up until March when many have had breaks. 

We won’t beat this United team, they’re on a roll and, well, we aren’t.

Unfortunately we don’t seem to have the ability to play to our strengths currently and for whatever reasons, the belief has gone from the mentality monsters that were playing for us even though they are the same players.

Beat Wolves and draw United and that will do.