You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Would you want Liverpool awardees those 3 League Titles Man City “won”?

JohnnyH

Should Liverpool (and Man Utd) be awarded those titles City “won”  

151 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want Liverpool awarded those 3 league titles?

I’ve been thinking about all those former and current players that were unfairly beaten into second place by those cheating twats, and then of course us, the fans, denied those league titles we deserved and wondering would I want those 3 other titles if City were punished to the point of being stripped of titles?

For me, it’s not the record books, or the looking back, it’s the moment of winning the title and getting to lift that trophy in the dirty kit you just won it playing in and then, as fans, celebrating and watching the sports news and all that over the few weeks after the event. That’s the joy. That’s the reward. I think being handed the 13/14 title now for example would just feel hollow and somewhat meaningless.  Yes, strip City, but I think I’d just rather a null and void for the seasons. I think the embarrassment for the Premier League of that too seems more beneficial. 

• Upvote 1

It's a big yes for me because this fucking team deserves far more than the one league title we've had under Klopp.

90+ points three times against the Lance Armstrong of football is an incredible achievement.

I completely agree that it doesn't feel the same but we have very clearly been denied two titles by cheats!

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, cloggypop said:

I'd give them theirs as well. Fuck cheats. 

This is the right answer. Both clubs are entitled to three extra league titles if City’s cheating is confirmed, although I suspect the outcome in reality will be that City are allowed to keep the titles despite punishment in the here and now or, at a push, stripped but with no winner declared.

If this was in the EFL and the financial discrepancies proven, a club would have points deducted, even if that resulted in the club being relegated. It's happened to Derby, Bolton and a few other clubs.

It is bizarre a supposed lower level organisation has the balls to administer such a punishment to its member clubs while the PL will end up doing diddly squat.

• Upvote 2

It wouldn't be the same as winning them at the time, but our players from those years definitely deserve them. Genuinely feel for Klopp and our current players. They should be one of the most successful teams of all time and instead they have just one solitary league title to their name because they were up against a bunch of cheats. And loads of idiots in the media and supporters from other teams always equate them with the likes of other one-off winners like Leicester and suggest that they're inferior to past United and Arsenal sides. They'd have wiped the floor with any legitimate challengers. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Em City said:

Fuck yes!

Tbh, I don't even care if it gives the Red Mancs 6 extra titles. Ben Johnson F.C should be stripped of everything and no one deserves a league medal more than Steven Gerrard.

Bang on - goes against my vote though. Forgot about that

Yes, but it's not specifically about us. I wouldn't be celebrating those titles. It is necessary though that the record is set straight as a warning to anyone else who wants to cheat like City have.

You can't let their 'achievements' stand, so you either have to award all of those trophies to the runners up (league and cups) or you leave them blank.

You can't allow them to have all of those honours on their record when they cheated to get them. Ben Johnson doesn't have Olympic Gold, and nor should he. Same principle applies here.

• Upvote 7

If we were talking about 1 or 2 consecutive years worth of titles stripped, then if the PL saw that as apt punishment they would be more likely to hand it down as, the way they see it, the main product will escape relatively unharmed. Similar I guess to how Serie A handled Calciopoli, stripping Juventus of 2 titles and demoting them

If you are talking about rewriting half of the last decade, then the PL are really in a bit of a bind, because they can't have a product with asterisks all over the place, so they might need to place legitimate winners for every year they want to penalise City. Any hint that the league is happy to seep the matter under the carpet might not wash well with sponsors and TV companies.

Regardless, even if the moment has gone, the possibility of the numbers on the Champions Wall increasing is always welcome to me. If a club via legitimate means missed out on a trophy because they were beaten by a club via illegitimate means, that should be addressed. No deterrents give carte blanche to everyone else to do whatever they want to get an advantage.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

If this was in the EFL and the financial discrepancies proven, a club would have points deducted, even if that resulted in the club being relegated. It's happened to Derby, Bolton and a few other clubs.

It is bizarre a supposed lower level organisation has the balls to administer such a punishment to its member clubs while the PL will end up doing diddly squat.

To be fair, the EFL aren't exactly up against lawyered-up financial behemoths.

• Upvote 1

Being stripped of points now, or relegated - rather than stripped of titles - does not address the cheating that was done at the time.

Taking cheats out of the equation, did we deserve the titles in '14, '19 and '22?  Yes.

So it's a yes from me, as a matter of principle.

Even if it has to also be United.

28 minutes ago, Chip Butty said:

The other mancs would get another 2 or 3 as well, I think? 

Unless they just did say 5-10 point deductions for each season. 

Would be 3 each.

I don't think they'll be stripped of titles though. I absolutely think they should be but they won't.

6 minutes ago, dave u said:

I say I wouldn't be celebrating those titles, but if the club hired a bus for Stevie and Suarez and the lads (including Sterling, because it would be funny) to parade around the city I'd be there.

I've got a number of piss-ups to catch up on as well. 

13 minutes ago, dave u said:

I say I wouldn't be celebrating those titles, but if the club hired a bus for Stevie and Suarez and the lads (including Sterling, because it would be funny) to parade around the city I'd be there.

Interesting that.

Because if I could pick just one title, it would be that one too.

None - not even Arsenal in '89 - hurt as much as that one.