You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Everton (H) - Mon 13th Feb 2023 (8:00pm)

Trumo

It's the side I would pick, an tha. As I presume the team Curly posted is what he'd pick. 

I expect almost no changes to what we've recently seen with Thiago out one of the lads who can barely walk will be back in as well. 

Alisson

Trent Gomez Matip Robertson

Bajcetic Henderson Keita

Salah Gakpo Elliott

Something inspiring like that. 

• Haha 1

I’d defo play Milner in this, probably at right back. Need one player who will actually attempt a tackle, even if he’s too slow these days to actually win the ball cleanly when he goes in.

It’s going to fuck my evening up completely watching Henderson stand there while Everton’s midfielders run past him again and again. 

On 10/02/2023 at 14:33, lebron said:

There's a reason (or several) why we're putting Phillips up for sale every window when we're desperate for home-grown players. He's not good enough to play in the premier league (if he was he would be sold by now), and especially not for a club with an expansive style of play - with aspirations of fighting for trophies. He's solely here as a last resort to avoid a similar situation that we had two seasons ago.

While all of Virgil, Matip and Gomez have had poor seasons (Konate the best performing of our four), they have all proven that they can play in Klopp's preferred system. Konate and Virgil are probably the most ideal solutions as they have both the pace and heading ability (at least Virgil used to have), but both Matip and Gomez have proven their worth next to Virgil in title-winning and European campaigns.

There's simply no chance that we alter vastly from the system that has given us so much success in recent years. There may be a few tweaks here and there to make us more unpredictable, but I just can't see Klopp surrendering his ideas long term to just make us "hard to beat". There's a bigger chance that he walks imo (and I don't think that's likely either). 

I still don't think he gets enough credit for making us the team we've been for the last 7 years. He's taken players that many had given up on and had them producing way above their ceiling due to the way we've been set up (more than the actual players ability). Not often I agree with Carragher, but what he said the other day is true, Klopp is the absolute last man I'd get rid of at the club. I think our best (and only really) way forward is for him to be given time to find new players to work in his preferred system. A year from now that might be something like this:

--------------------Allison-----------------

Trent-----Konate-----Vvd---------Robertson

-----------------Bajcetic-----------------------

-------Bellingham---------Thiago------------

---Salah----------Firmino-----------Diaz----

Put Nunez in for Firmino if you like, if he can learn when and how to press for the next few months he might be a better option.

I just think it's up to the players to ignore the noises from media (and some of our fans) and keep absolute trust in Klopp and his ideas. He's the one who has got them to the lofty heights, so they should show some loyalty back. Might be tough for people like Henderson and Fabinho who seem completely toast, but we should ship them out if they have stopped believing.

Get the front 

That first 11 with a backup of 

GK
Ramsay CB CB Tsimikas
Elliott Henderson CM
Jota Gakpo Nunez

Supplementing that with a few kids would mean we only need to purchase 2 x CMs and 2 x CBs.

We could make money to offset the cost by selling Kelleher (unfortunately) Phillips Gomez Matip Fabinho Jones and Carvalho while releasing Milner Ox Keita and Arthur. 

We have 11 midfielders on the books including Carvalho, who started in a midfield 3 in the derby. It's crazy

We've been bullied on set pieces since Virgil got injured. If he doesn’t start,  then I'd definitely pick Phillips to partner Matip, with Gomez at RB. I'd also include Nunez. Pick a side that can compete with Dycheball. 

Allison 

Gomez Matip VvD (Philips) Robertson 

Henderson Bajcetic Thiago

Salah Nunez Gakpo 

1 hour ago, Jairzinho said:

It's the side I would pick, an tha. As I presume the team Curly posted is what he'd pick. 

I expect almost no changes to what we've recently seen with Thiago out one of the lads who can barely walk will be back in as well. 

Alisson

Trent Gomez Matip Robertson

Bajcetic Henderson Keita

Salah Gakpo Elliott

Something inspiring like that. 

Furry muff..

If we are doing what we would pick - i'd go this.

Alisson

TAA

Matip

Gomez

Robertson

Bajcetic

Henderson

Salah

Elliott

Gakpo

Nunez

41 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I don't think we can beat any top flight team that puts in a good level of physicality, which Everton likely will have, at minimum. Without luck, anyway. 

I would have never said this, but playing Phillips is genuinely tempting. 

I really don't see the issue with playing Phillips if the coaching staff were to see sense and drop our kamikaze line back 10 metres.

He's a genuinely good defender in his own way, nigh on unbeatable in the air and is perfect for alehouse opponents. Calvert-Lewin or even Maupay against Gomez is going to be very messy.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, an tha said:

I know, I know....but the teams ahead of us who are the 'realistic' challengers for the european spots and in particular the top 4 had bad days again today.....

Failing to put this shower to the sword now would be criminal.

And the teams hanging around the drop-zone had a good day.

Really need to batter these cunts.

1 hour ago, an tha said:

Looks unlikely Calvert-Lewin will play so that may help us and likely Gray might play.

Sammy Lee was on LFCTV laughing at the suggestion that twit wasn't fit. He looks set to play. I think the Phillips idea is a good one - put him in and he'll counter Dyche's tactics from dead balls.

47 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

Sammy Lee was on LFCTV laughing at the suggestion that twit wasn't fit. He looks set to play. I think the Phillips idea is a good one - put him in and he'll counter Dyche's tactics from dead balls.

I do get the calls for Phillips although I wouldn't do it myself.

2 hours ago, Em City said:

I really don't see the issue with playing Phillips if the coaching staff were to see sense and drop our kamikaze line back 10 metres.

He's a genuinely good defender in his own way, nigh on unbeatable in the air and is perfect for alehouse opponents. Calvert-Lewin or even Maupay against Gomez is going to be very messy.

If they're playing 4-4-2 with Calvert-Lewin up front, he'd probably have no issue defending that. The problem is we're going to get countered and if he's stuck defending out in space against someone like Gray, that might not end well. And then there's the issue of what he does on the ball if they press him.

Ultimately, I wouldn't have a problem with him starting this one specifically because their biggest threat is agricultural and he can deal with that. I don't think he'd start anyway and with some of the players coming back from injury, we'll persist with what we're trying to do.

Feels like a really potentially pivotal period coming up.

Games against our local rivals and the mancs and the geordies, so obvious opportunities to gain pts on them and one of our rearranged games in hand finally being played, as well as the mancs and geordies having a weekend off due to Milk Cup Final.

PIick up a good haul from the next 5 and we should be right back in top 4 hunt - have a poor run in these games and it is likely curtains:

Monday - The Shite (h)

18th - Newcastle (a)

25th - Palace (a) a weekend when Mancs and Newcastle don't play as are in Milk Cup Final

1st - Wolves (h) (Rearranged game)

5th - Mancs (h)

16 hours ago, joe_fishfish said:

I’d defo play Milner in this, probably at right back. Need one player who will actually attempt a tackle, even if he’s too slow these days to actually win the ball cleanly when he goes in.

It’s going to fuck my evening up completely watching Henderson stand there while Everton’s midfielders run past him again and again. 

Agree with all of this, especially the last part unfortunately.

13 hours ago, an tha said:

Monday - The Shite (h)

18th - Newcastle (a)

21st - Real Madrid(h)

25th - Palace (a) a weekend when Mancs and Newcastle don't play as are in Milk Cup Final

1st - Wolves (h) (Rearranged game)

5th - Mancs (h)

Added our biggest game of the season in there…

Hopefully The Ev will light a fire within everybody (players and support) that we can carry on into Real & the mancs.