You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

28 minutes ago, John102 said:

I have seen a few people say that Klopp chose Schmadtke, was this reported at the time? I had a quick google and the only articles i found were him saying its not his appointment.

3 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

"All the reports..." Pure confirmation bias. It's a ragbag of gossip and speculation that has absolutely no solid foundation.

"It's also come to light" - ditto. This is spectacular shit-shovelling.

And didn't Shmadtke say they hardly knew each other?

But he's German you know so Klopp must have handpicked him.

6 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Not only were we saddled with a massive salary for a guy who offered nothing offensively, defensively or anything in a non pointing and whining sort of way, it only served to break the working relationship he had with Michael Edwards.

And where's the evidence of that connection? I'm really getting tired of the saint-like status of Michael Edwards. It's like people revering a civil servant over an elected official. He was a nerd, a very good nerd, but all the same a fallible one who could make judgements under far less pressure than the manager. And his judgements were by no means ineluctably sound, as keeps being conveniently forgotten. So long as he remains unattached to another club, his stature will continue to soar up to God-like levels of perfection, but it's a silly and shallow way to evaluate current issues. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, gkmacca said:

And where's the evidence of that connection? I'm really getting tired of the saint-like status of Michael Edwards. It's like people revering a civil servant over an elected official. He was a nerd, a very good nerd, but all the same a fallible one who could make judgements under far less pressure than the manager. And his judgements were by no means ineluctably sound, as keeps being conveniently forgotten. So long as he remains unattached to another club, his stature will continue to soar up to God-like levels of perfection, but it's a silly and shallow way to evaluate current issues. 

Evidence? None, but it seems to be accepted wisdom that it was the Hendo renewal that drove a wedge between the two.

2 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

It's the confirmation bias again, from people who either didn't like Henderson or want to find reasons other than FSG/money for our lack of/questionable activity in the transfer market.

Klopp is the least likely megalomaniac you could ever wish to meet and no one more than him has ever given more credit to the people working around him. If, and it's still a big if, Edwards left over Henderson getting a new contract well doesn't that say more about Edwards? It's a pathetic reason. Of course if the manager wants to keep a player and intervenes to do so then it's only right that the player stays whether it's a mistake or not. The manager is the most important person at the club.  And if Henderson's contract affected transfer funds for bringing in another player (always conveniently one who has turned out to be very very good by the way) then that's on FSG.  That's the whole point, it shouldn't have been one or the other we should have been able to afford both. It's just as likely Edwards left because he was being hamstrung by FSGs penny pinching. Or maybe he just fancied a break.

I’ve been away this week and have just been catching up with this thread. The last 10 pages or so has made for really good reading, actual debate with no toys being thrown out the pram and very little gnashing of teeth. A much more interesting read than the usual woe is me style. 

It has to be said that we have done some crazy shit this transfer window after a very promising start, but there’s not much any of us can do about it. Endo could hopefully prove to be one of those shrewd signings we used to be good at, and I reckon there will be at least one more to join him and hopefully put us in a position to be competitive again this year after last season’s aberration. 

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Evidence? None, but it seems to be accepted wisdom that it was the Hendo renewal that drove a wedge between the two.

If he quit over that, he's a massive twat. These things are all team decisions but ultimately klopp is responsible, so if there's a split call, klopp wins every single time, because it's his cock on the block. Anyone who's ever had a job will know sometimes you don't get all your own way, even if you own the company. 

Edwards left because he'd had enough of the job after 10 years. Ward left because the job was too big for him and had a fucking meltdown after talking to Ajax. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Moo said:

And didn't Shmadtke say they hardly knew each other?

But he's German you know so Klopp must have handpicked him.

Which person at the club was invited to talk about Schmadtke as part of his goodbye due to retirement at Wolfsburg in January?

Rather than handpicked him I'd suggest Klopp certainly recommended him and that recommendation was acted on, because why wouldn't you?

Just because he has more power doesn't mean people think he's a megalomaniac but it's kind of undeniable that he has more power at the club than he's ever had, certainly around recruitment (while he's always had the final final say there were more people around to challenge him).

1 hour ago, El Dangerous said:

All the reports are that Klopp has more control than ever, he hand picked his transfer guy and this window has been an utter shambles. We can do as much good work as we like between now and the end of the window but it won’t undo the mess that came before. It’s also came to light that Klopp favoured extending deals for washed out players over signing future worldies. He’s the man and I’ll back him to the hilt but I’ve always thought he wasn’t too great at the transfer side since the likes of Brandt and Gotze were lucky misses. Not to say FSG aren’t the root of the problem mind, it did feel like funds have been held back for some reason until they came over last week.

Part of this narrative misuses speculation as fact. Yes, Klopp isn't perfect. But people are now working off the theory he isn't great at transfers while conversely believing Edwards and Ward had great recommendations all the time. Who is to say that if Brandt or Gotze had signed, Klopp wouldn't have turned them to great signings for us?

And because Klopp allegedly asked for extensions to contracts for his captain and vice, does that then mean the recruitment team around him get a free pass on some of the shambles they were also involved in before they left? They are all in it together imho.

Why the fuck would some of you want Doucoure over Gravenberch?!

What am I not seeing that you're seeing?

Doucoure looks absolutely shit. Like there isn't one thing I've seen about him that tells me he has the skills and technique to play for Liverpool. If you think his main asset is just to win the ball back and give it to the good players, what about the other 80% of the games where teams park the bus and we have all the ball and have to unlock them? What about when we eventually get back into the champions league? 

Gravenberch is clearly more talented on the ball,  he has tons of natural ability and technique/awareness. He's also pretty quick and has the height to succeed in the premier League. You can mould him into a star, polish up his tackling and positioning.

There's no way you're making Doucoure get much better in possession. He's a dog without a bone. A straight line runner who has to smash his opponent because he knows he can't turn fast enough to chase back. I'm hurt, angry and disappointed in you for even suggesting this to me and ruining my morning. 

12 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Which person at the club was invited to talk about Schmadtke as part of his goodbye due to retirement at Wolfsburg in January?

Rather than handpicked him I'd suggest Klopp certainly recommended him and that recommendation was acted on, because why wouldn't you?

Just because he has more power doesn't mean people think he's a megalomaniac but it's kind of undeniable that he has more power at the club than he's ever had, certainly around recruitment (while he's always had the final final say there were more people around to challenge him).

It may just be brushed off as semantics but saying he has more power suggests it's something that he wants.  I 100% accept that he very likely has more say in things due to a vacuum at the club, but I would not suggest that it's something he enjoys. He's never shown any desire for power or to control everything at the club, he's always seemed to favour the more collective approach and that's probably as true today.

• Upvote 1

Got to be honest, the more I hear about Endo, the more excited I get. He seems a very good player.

The Bundesliga has had a few flops, but it's a very good league. Celebrated players like Veron and Schevchenko have been flops over here so let's see what this lad can do.

2 more players please though.

4 minutes ago, Mil-ing Around said:

For a start they aren't direct replacements.

Depending on your view of Endo (who looks like he can do a bit of everything) and taking the reports a few weeks back into account of us looking for both a Destroyer and Controlling #6 the more apt comparison would Gravenberch and Andre.

S0 the question is do you want a destroyer or a controller to come in next.

After Endo we have one home grown slot left, if we buy Doucoure thats all the spots used up and IF they look at a defender he'll have to be home grown or under 21.

If we signed Gravenberch it gives you more options in the defender search (because he qualifies as U21) I'm not sure we look at Andre any further and Endo is our only proper DM.

10 minutes ago, Mil-ing Around said:

What am I not seeing that you're seeing?

Doucoure looks absolutely shit. Like there isn't one thing I've seen about him that tells me he has the skills and technique to play for Liverpool. If you think his main asset is just to win the ball back and give it to the good players, what about the other 80% of the games where teams park the bus and we have all the ball and have to unlock them? What about when we eventually get back into the champions league? 

Gravenberch is clearly more talented on the ball,  he has tons of natural ability and technique/awareness. He's also pretty quick and has the height to succeed in the premier League. You can mould him into a star, polish up his tackling and positioning.

There's no way you're making Doucoure get much better in possession. He's a dog without a bone. A straight line runner who has to smash his opponent because he knows he can't turn fast enough to chase back. I'm hurt, angry and disappointed in you for even suggesting this to me and ruining my morning. 

Because Gravenberch is lazy;he's not a 6 amd bitching because he chose to chase mo ey leaving Ajax top early and hes now bitching that hes behind over Goretkza and Kimmich. Listen to any Bayern fN and they day the same thing. He gives little effort,amd doesn't take his chances when he gets them. There's a reason Tuchel doesn't want him. He's talented and as a long term replacements for Thiago maybe. Buts he's not starting over Mac Callister or Szoboszlai and has shown nothing he'd beat out Jones or Elliot either 

2 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

Unless it’s really worthwhile I’d be tempted to sign two defenders and go back in for a midfielder in Jan or next summer. Frimpong and Andy Capp at Leverkusen will do, push Trent in to midfield as and when.

Frimpong should be bought now. Trent can then play both midfield and RB as needed and Frimpong gets a year to bed in. He's also be classed as a hone grown player which we desperately need. And then he's here when Xabi takes over long term