You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

10 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Has annyone ever suggested we we needed to buy 5/6 midfielders? 2/3 probably. I’ve never seen anyone suggest 5 or 6.

I'm not sure what other conclusion you're supposed to draw from people wanting to sell (or considering them finished) Fabino, Henderson, thiago, Jones, releasing Keita, Milner and Ox while being on the fence about Elliott.

2 hours ago, aws said:

The right two midfielders are all we need this summer. 

With Keita, Arthur and Ox out at a minimum the wages are probably already taken care of. 

Also agree with others that we should try and get a centre half in. We've been caught out there in recent years due to injuries, and Phillips and Williams no longer seem to be considered as real first team options.

We wouldn't even miss the following in terms of clearing up squad space: 

Keita
Ox

Jones

Adrian
Arthur
Phillips 
Williams 

• Upvote 1

Gvardiol to City is a done deal from what I've heard. Shame really but the circumstances don't add up for us and him. Signing him in 2 years would be ideal.

Bellingham and Nunes and possibly a Bobby replacement is all we will see happen. We don't need anymore than that. 

53 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

I'm not sure what other conclusion you're supposed to draw from people wanting to sell (or considering them finished) Fabino, Henderson, thiago, Jones, releasing Keita, Milner and Ox while being on the fence about Elliott.

You could conclude that it's multiple people suggesting those names, so not actually getting rid of all 7/8.  

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, No7 said:

Gvardiol to City is a done deal from what I've heard. Shame really but the circumstances don't add up for us and him. Signing him in 2 years would be ideal.

Bellingham and Nunes and possibly a Bobby replacement is all we will see happen. We don't need anymore than that. 

I think a new centre back is a must regardless, but if Matip really is going it would be disastrous not to sign one.

• Upvote 2

Someone remind me how it works with the British quota with kids being promoted to the senior squad, surely we will be getting a British midfielder in to up those numbers? 

But are we getting linked to any other than Mount? I'm genuinely confused whether Bellingham counts

58 minutes ago, sh#t waffle said:

I think a new centre back is a must regardless, but if Matip really is going it would be disastrous not to sign one.

Yeah honestly centre back is very close behind midfield in the list of needs. Konaté is incredible, but not reliable health wise and Matip and Gomez aren't good enough anymore. Plus, Matip might be on his way out.

There's no doubt we need someone of a good age profile who can fight Konaté to be 2nd choice. 

2 midfielders and a centre back would be a sufficient summer.

A Firmino replacement would be ideal as well, but it won't happen.

2 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Apparently he played well v Dortmund on Friday night. 

The bits I've seen he looks very good but given we're on the precipice of him becoming the name it's certainly not enough to form any solid opinion.

Beyond it being a recognisable name I'd want to know how tall he is, is he quick, is he good in the air and is he good in one v one duels as they're some of the key attributes we need in defenders in our system.

24 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Yeah honestly centre back is very close behind midfield in the list of needs. Konaté is incredible, but not reliable health wise and Matip and Gomez aren't good enough anymore. Plus, Matip might be on his way out.

As a 4th CB and backup at RB he is ok. English and modest wages.

2 hours ago, No7 said:

It makes perfect sense for them. Laporte's injury record is one of the few significant risks in their squad.

Cheating wankers.

1 hour ago, Remmie said:

Someone remind me how it works with the British quota with kids being promoted to the senior squad, surely we will be getting a British midfielder in to up those numbers? 

But are we getting linked to any other than Mount? I'm genuinely confused whether Bellingham counts

Links with the young Chelsea CB that's on loan at Brighton. Thoughts is Chelsea will sell with ffp. Reckon he'll end up at Brighton in a deal for Caicedo 

8 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Links with the young Chelsea CB that's on loan at Brighton. Thoughts is Chelsea will sell with ffp. Reckon he'll end up at Brighton in a deal for Caicedo 

He was already at Brighton as part of a deal for Cucurella, id be surprised if Brighton also allow him to be used as makeweight for another of their players. That being said there is very little stopping Bohely outright buying Caciedo.

22 minutes ago, Tenfolder said:

He was already at Brighton as part of a deal for Cucurella, id be surprised if Brighton also allow him to be used as makeweight for another of their players. That being said there is very little stopping Bohely outright buying Caciedo.

I mean in a permanent basis not a loan

15 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Quite. 

Yeah maybe you're both right...

There certainly aren't consecutive posts like

We have a high number of midfielders in the squad, but most of them arent really good enough. Also more than half of them seem to struggle to stay fit, which of course also means a drop in quality over time. Last and not least a majority of them are pretty slow players, meaning we struggle to find combinations where at least one or two of the three we field are fast players able to close down space quickly.

All in all it’s a complete mess, and the midfield part of the squad needs a complete overhaul. The only good news is the other parts of the squad are still very high quality.

We probably need at least two to three transfer windows to fix the midfield though, if the club is willing and capable of fixing it that is. 

Ox and Keita gone in the summer out of contract (the only reason to offer the latter a new deal is so we can sell him and not lose any kind of fee) Henderson is almost 32 and is becoming abit injury prone Milner is 37 and should be no where near the playing squad next season coaching the kids is a good option for him, Fabinho seems to be developing some sort of calcium deficiency where his bones turn to rock and he can't move anymore,Thiago is class but almost 32 by the time next season starts and he's injury prone and Curtis won't make it here so that's 7 midfielders that realistically need replacing in January and the summer I can't see it happening to be honest.

100% nail on the head.

Or posts like

I'd sell them all apart from the 2 kids.

We need 4 or 5 proper midfielders who can run fast, pass, cover and stay fit.

The lads we have in there are all on mega wages.

or

Henderson, Milner and Fabinho are finished, Elliott has barely begun, Thiago is a luxury we can't afford, Keita is working his notice, Arthur is the 99p toy you buy to shut up the kids that breaks after 5 minutes, and Ox is Ox.

or

But then I'd get rid of Keita, Chamberlain, Henderson, Milner, and Jones between now and next summer.

And that's just from a 20 page sample of one thread.

So, out of 20 pages you’ve managed to find two posts that mention the kind of numbers you’re talking about. And you don’t even name the posters.

The first one you posted said the midfield will take a few windows to fully replace. Assuming we get rid of the out of contract players and bring in two midfielders, ultimately we’ll replace Henderson, Thiago and Milner over the next few windows as well given their age.

The other posts don’t say much, and most of them are likely to be Mark Coulter and The Grinch.

2 hours ago, Lee909 said:

I was on about British midfielders but seeing as Bellingham counts maybe its one from him and Mount.

15 minutes ago, Remmie said:

I was on about British midfielders but seeing as Bellingham counts maybe its one from him and Mount.

I still think Milner gets another year. Can't see us trying to bed in 3/4 new midfielder in one year. Bellingham,Mount(another), Hendo,Elliot,Bajectic Thiago then Fabinho,Milner. I think 2 this year and another next