You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Wolves (A) FA Cup 3rd Rd Replay - 17/1/23 - 19.45

an tha

1 minute ago, an tha said:

Is it time for change?

Is it time for new blood?

Have the old warhorses run their races?

The answer is YES, YES, YES!

MGgc.gif

So with that sorted onto the football......

Wolves away in the cup - Just get these beat, Redmen...

The reward for a win being another trip down south against Brighton.... shudder....

I just want us to shake it up a bit in terms of personnel. I know that our options are limited with the injuries we have, but I'd like to see something like this:

-------------------Kelleher----------------

Ramsey----Gomez-----Konate----Tsimikas

-----------Naby----Bajcetic----Jones--------

Doak-------------Gakpo----------Nunez

I don't really care THAT much how we do in the FA Cup this season. I think we should put all our eggs in the CL basket if I'm honest. I pray we can get some players back and up to speed before our meeting with Real. For that to happen I fear we may have to prioritise a bit (much like we did in Klopp's first season here).

We'll also have to accept that this season is the season in between (like two years ago), and hope that we will be back in August.

• Upvote 2

Heart. Urgency. Nous. Gumption. Ruthlessness. Yer ma.

I don't ask for much.

I said in the transfer thread that I believe our biggest problem is not a lack of energy in midfield, but a lack of collective hunger. We have a lot of players that have won everything there is to win with us, all while performing to an elite level. These players are now 30-plus and perhaps mentally shot, and that is hampering them physically. It's perhaps the biggest argument for freshening up a squad significantly every 3 years or so, to keep the level of hunger up. Some players will cope with numerous overhauls and be mainstays long-term, while others should be culled when we feel WE'VE got the maximum out of them.

For this game it's hard to know what we are going to do in terms of personnel and approach. A lot of our first choices are either injured or out of form, so for me I'd want Jürgen to go pragmatic like he (eventually) did in 2020/21. If memory serves, that spell began with a game at Wolves. Diogo got the only goal of the game right on half time, and part of the more pragmatic approach was due to Sadio having to go off with a hamstring injury. As a team, we dropped back 10 yards, didn't put Big Nat or Rhys Williams in a position where their lack of pace would hurt us, and didn't have Trent and Robbo acting as auxiliary wingers.

A lot of our fans might think a cup replay at Wolves is not important, especially given that we would be facing Brighton at the Amex again if we get through, but fuck that mentality. Aim to win EVERY game. Also, we are the cup holders and it's about time we mounted a credible defence of a trophy. We last did so in 1984 when Fagan was manager, Souey was bossing midfield and Rushie was setting goalscoring records.

• Upvote 6

5 minutes ago, Trumo said:

Heart. Urgency. Nous. Gumption. Ruthlessness. Yer ma.

I don't ask for much.

I said in the transfer thread that I believe our biggest problem is not a lack of energy in midfield, but a lack of collective hunger. We have a lot of players that have won everything there is to win with us, all while performing to an elite level. These players are now 30-plus and perhaps mentally shot, and that is hampering them physically. It's perhaps the biggest argument for freshening up a squad significantly every 3 years or so, to keep the level of hunger up. Some players will cope with numerous overhauls and be mainstays long-term, while others should be culled when we feel WE'VE got the maximum out of them.

For this game it's hard to know what we are going to do in terms of personnel and approach. A lot of our first choices are either injured or out of form, so for me I'd want Jürgen to go pragmatic like he (eventually) did in 2020/21. If memory serves, that spell began with a game at Wolves. Diogo got the only goal of the game right on half time, and part of the more pragmatic approach was due to Sadio having to go off with a hamstring injury. As a team, we dropped back 10 yards, didn't put Big Nat or Rhys Williams in a position where their lack of pace would hurt us, and didn't have Trent and Robbo acting as auxiliary wingers.

A lot of our fans might think a cup replay at Wolves is not important, especially given that we would be facing Brighton at the Amex again if we get through, but fuck that mentality. Aim to win EVERY game. Also, we are the cup holders and it's about time we mounted a credible defence of a trophy. We last did so in 1984 when Fagan was manager, Souey was bossing midfield and Rushie was setting goalscoring records.

I'd rather we aim to lose it as we might win it with that type of thinking!

13 hours ago, lebron said:

The reward for a win being another trip down south against Brighton.... shudder....

I just want us to shake it up a bit in terms of personnel. I know that our options are limited with the injuries we have, but I'd like to see something like this:

-------------------Kelleher----------------

Ramsey----Gomez-----Konate----Tsimikas

-----------Naby----Bajcetic----Jones--------

Doak-------------Gakpo----------Nunez

I don't really care THAT much how we do in the FA Cup this season. I think we should put all our eggs in the CL basket if I'm honest. I pray we can get some players back and up to speed before our meeting with Real. For that to happen I fear we may have to prioritise a bit (much like we did in Klopp's first season here).

We'll also have to accept that this season is the season in between (like two years ago), and hope that we will be back in August.

Konate, Keita and Nunez should not be risked for this one imo. If we want to stay clear of the relegation battle we need those three for the league.

For fucks sake just try something different, switch the formation or approach or both. They will go stronger at home, we need some pace and NEVER need to see that old midfield 3 again - how many more times does it need to demonstrate it’s woefully inadequate now before we see a change? Try something different before the Chavs next weekend. Nothing to lose…