You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should we sign him?   

174 members have voted

1. 1. Should we sign him?

6 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

But you’re expecting number 9 goals.

Weren't you telling everyone last season that he'd score 20 league goals, it sounded an awful lot like you were expecting him to score number 9 goals until it started looking less likely and you pivoted to we didn't buy him to score.

7 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

But you’re expecting number 9 goals. Even though it’s the number on his back under Klopp we don’t play with a central focus. He’s scored plenty this season. I’d like more yeah of course but compare his other stuff to other players and there’s a better player. Salah gets games because we know he gets goals. He doesn’t do much for a team unless he’s given the ball to go and shoot. 

He's got 11 league goals and scored in 8 of 30 games. People arnt expecting old fashioned number 9 play, they are expecting him to put away a number a simple chances he has completely fluffed. And it year 2 of tbe same issues. His all round game may be better but he still misplaces passes,takes the wrong option when we break and fluffed his lines as much as he scores. People keep saying it's unlucky,it'll change. It hasn't most of his career. We bought him on the back of a breakout season after 2 good games against us and paid the price for a world class player that had only produced in Portugal for 1 year. 

I know you love the guy but even you can't be defending his finishing for 2 years. If he played for the mancs you'd have him as a laughing stock for it

4 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Weren't you telling everyone last season that he'd score 20 league goals, it sounded an awful lot like you were expecting him to score number 9 goals until it started looking less likely and you pivoted to we didn't buy him to score.

I think I said 30 

Im not pivoting at all. He needs to finish more absolutely. Mo has scored a shitload not as a 9. What he does he does so well. Makes me wanna yell. Let’s hear it for the boy 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Lee909 said:

He's got 11 league goals and scored in 8 of 30 games. People arnt expecting old fashioned number 9 play, they are expecting him to put away a number a simple chances he has completely fluffed. And it year 2 of tbe same issues. His all round game may be better but he still misplaces passes,takes the wrong option when we break and fluffed his lines as much as he scores. People keep saying it's unlucky,it'll change. It hasn't most of his career. We bought him on the back of a breakout season after 2 good games against us and paid the price for a world class player that had only produced in Portugal for 1 year. 

I know you love the guy but even you can't be defending his finishing for 2 years. If he played for the mancs you'd have him as a laughing stock for it

Everything time he pulls me near I just wanna cheer 

Let’s hear it for the boy 

Maybe he’s no Romeo but he’s my lovin’ one man show 

Id be gutted if he played for the mancs 

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Freddo said:

This team is crying out for a lethal number nine. Darwin Nunez isn’t that player. He may have a role to play in the squad but it’s as clear as day we need a clinical finisher. Those that can’t see that are beyond help. 

We didn't have a "clinical finisher" when we had Mané-Firmino-Salah. It's not essential, but on this team it is because we're not as good at football.

Just now, 3 Stacks said:

We didn't have a "clinical finisher" when we had Mané-Firmino-Salah. It's not essential, but on this team it is because we're not as good at football.

This

when we had Bobby up top we have 2 free scoring wingers. Now we don't. The drop off in combined  goals from Mane/Firmino to Diaz/Nunez is tbe issue

I was made up when we signed him and have wanted it to work out for him but it's just not happening. 

He doesn't seem to learn from his constant mistakes and he is just not relaxed in front of goal. He hasn't scored against anyone in the top half apart from West Ham. He should be on more goals given some of the low quality opposition we played in the Europa group stage where he played most of the games. Should have buried that chance against Atalanta in the first 20 minutes. 

9 minutes ago, Harry Squatter said:

I was made up when we signed him and have wanted it to work out for him but it's just not happening. 

He doesn't seem to learn from his constant mistakes and he is just not relaxed in front of goal. He hasn't scored against anyone in the top half apart from West Ham. He should be on more goals given some of the low quality opposition we played in the Europa group stage where he played most of the games. Should have buried that chance against Atalanta in the first 20 minutes. 

I think frustration is playing a factor  

He was furious with himself after that chance in the 2nd half 

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

But you’re expecting number 9 goals. Even though it’s the number on his back under Klopp we don’t play with a central focus. He’s scored plenty this season. I’d like more yeah of course but compare his other stuff to other players and there’s a better player. Salah gets games because we know he gets goals. He doesn’t do much for a team unless he’s given the ball to go and shoot. 

Let’s hope the new manager can get the best of him then. I hope so 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Hahahaha you’re a parody of your own parody 

No, you are. You make a big song and dance about being a die-hard Nunez fan, and then you ignore the dozens of other posters completely savaging him, while instead targeting me for making a gag about the quality of "debate" in this thread.

I could say your aim was as wayward as Nunez's, but even Darwin isn't that cockeyed.

55 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

This

when we had Bobby up top we have 2 free scoring wingers. Now we don't. The drop off in combined  goals from Mane/Firmino to Diaz/Nunez is tbe issue

I think the level of player then to now has been a massive drop off. Diaz and Nunez are not nearly what Sadio, Bobby and peak Mo were. We’d do well to get a very pacy, direct wide player in this squad. Someone who attacks the fullback aggressively. Like Sadio used to. 

Just now, Freddo said:

I think the level of player then to now has been a massive drop off. Diaz and Nunez are not nearly what Sadio, Bobby and peak Mo were. We’d do well to get a very pacy, direct wide player in this squad. Someone who attacks the fullback aggressively. Like Sadio used to. 

That's because Mo is mostly non existent these days like you have even highlighted inadvertently 

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Brownie said:

When it mattered most, he disappeared.

He's Djibril Cisse. He'll never come good. You're not that raw at 24/25 and suddenly develop a footballing brain. This is the finished product.

He'll do well in a weaker league but he's not smart enough or composed enough to cut it at this level. He's not a terrible player and will get goals but not anywhere near what he's technically capable of but he's never going to be consistent enough.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, LFC 6 Times said:

You can’t be overly critical for that one he hit at Henderson but it’s just typical really.

He had the whole goal to hit, yet he hit the keeper..... That's been arguably his worst miss all season. And there's been alot to pick from

2 hours ago, Josef Svejk said:

Hs hold-up play is as bad as his finishing. And that's a major defensive issue, especially when our team plays so many long balls. 

You can tell he doesn't know what to do most of the time. You see the cogs turning and he just runs himself into awkward spots where he ends up isolated or in a shitty position where he can't pass but can get off a crap shot at an awful angle.