You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should we sign him?   

173 members have voted

1. 1. Should we sign him?

3 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Once Salah fucks off he will be our main man and the attack will support that. Klopp has got big plans for Darwin Nunez. 

i-know-more-than-you-i-know-you.gif

Absolutely no chance.  Klopps got big plans for him but starts Jota or Gakpo ahead of him up front.  If we had paid 10/20m for him he wouldn’t have survived this transfer window. His touch is terrible and his decision making is even worse.  He’s got nothing else to his game that’s going to make up for those faults at a top club.  He’s been here a year and all he’s shown us is that he’s thick.  The early sending off summed up how dense he is and he hasn’t given any indication to suggest different.

We are now just throwing him on at the end of games in hope more than anything.

He was an awful signing.  We seemed to get into a habit of signing players that played well against us.  The daft thing about signing forwards that do well against us is that very few if any teams play a high line like we do.  He did well because he beat our offside trap and that was it.  We could 100% play him in more like Dave suggests but the vast majority of our games do not allow the opportunity for balls in behind.  He doesn’t suit playing with inverted wingers and needs crosses for tight games and we play that way even less now with this hybrid mess.

Klopp is literally willing to throw another season down the drain to force the hybrid set up through.  If he had any plan whatsoever for Darwin he would be playing him now and dealing with the pain of it.

If he's not starting regularly by October/November then I agree they should move him on because it would tell me that whatever plan they had when they signed him has been scrapped and in that scenario we may as well move him on.

I think he'll be playing fairly regularly by then though.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, dave u said:

If he's not starting regularly by October/November then I agree they should move him on because it would tell me that whatever plan they had when they signed him has been scrapped and in that scenario we may as well move him on.

My guess is we'll be establishing a settled team over this group of games and the set between the international breaks. The other players will have to wait till the EL, which I think is late September. But as those players get games and sharpness, he'll start dropping some of those cup players into weekend games. 

10 hours ago, dave u said:

No pressure then- 5 weeks to sort your shit or you can go!

3 minutes ago, Dave D said:

No pressure then- 5 weeks to sort your shit or you can go!

Hasn't managed it in a year but will definitely all come together 5 weeks into the season, just needed the motivation of the Europa league to get his juices flowing.

12 hours ago, The Guest said:

Absolutely no chance.  Klopps got big plans for him but starts Jota or Gakpo ahead of him up front.  If we had paid 10/20m for him he wouldn’t have survived this transfer window. His touch is terrible and his decision making is even worse.  He’s got nothing else to his game that’s going to make up for those faults at a top club.  He’s been here a year and all he’s shown us is that he’s thick.  The early sending off summed up how dense he is and he hasn’t given any indication to suggest different.

We are now just throwing him on at the end of games in hope more than anything.

He was an awful signing.  We seemed to get into a habit of signing players that played well against us.  The daft thing about signing forwards that do well against us is that very few if any teams play a high line like we do.  He did well because he beat our offside trap and that was it.  We could 100% play him in more like Dave suggests but the vast majority of our games do not allow the opportunity for balls in behind.  He doesn’t suit playing with inverted wingers and needs crosses for tight games and we play that way even less now with this hybrid mess.

Klopp is literally willing to throw another season down the drain to force the hybrid set up through.  If he had any plan whatsoever for Darwin he would be playing him now and dealing with the pain of it.

He made him number 9. 

4 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

He made him number 9. 

Joining other legends in the list like Diouf, Benteke and Lambert. 

It's a two way thing - he needs to play better and the rest of the team (and Klopp) need to use him better when he plays. He'd have scored a bunch in Haaland's role last year with that De Bruyne service. It's not us though, unfortunately. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gkmacca said:

This is quite interesting...

Plagiarising fucks (not really, it's an obvious solution)

On 29/05/2023 at 11:39, TD_LFC said:

Thankfully Man City provided a blueprint to that and if we manage to sign the right #8/#10's and fix the midfield we might have the option of playing a more structurally and tactically sound version of the 3223 with Gakpo or the Man CIty/Haaland 3-2-4-1 that gives Nunez little to do but take shots.

On 26/04/2023 at 23:25, TD_LFC said:

At the moment the solution appears to be giving him as little to do as possible and find a way to deliver a boat load of chances to him, not too dissimilar to Haaland, whether that works in a Klopp system that traditionally relies on the strength of the group and whether we'll buy the attacking midfielders with sufficent workrate and chance creation to cover for that without sacrificing defensive workload is another matter,

On 23/04/2023 at 22:46, TD_LFC said:

Alternatively you'd go full Man City,  bring Salah and Diaz slightly deeper to create a 4 with Mount and Mac Allister in attacking situations with Nunez on his own as a 9 in the same way CIty use Haaland.

How Stones became Man City's new midfield star

On 30/07/2023 at 18:46, TD_LFC said:

We look so much more composed and much more suited to keeping and recycling the ball with Gakpo in the 9 especially against teams where we're expected to have most of the ball.

Also be interested to see a really compact City-esque set up of 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -Nunez - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Gakpo - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Soboszlai

- - - - - - - - - Jones - - - - Mac Allister - - - - - - - - - - 

given a go in a few cup games to see how it works, 4 really hard working, high pressing, transitional players behind an out an out 9.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, dave u said:

Enjoyed that, it's basically a 20 minute explanation of what I keep saying on the pod: He's a peacock, you gotta let him fly!

Do peacocks excel at flying though? They might think they are good at it but they aren't really.  Posing, now that they are good at. 

• Upvote 2

Any solution to the Nunez problem is abstract as it stands. There's been no efforts made to build a system to cater to him and he's shown no aptitude for the system that exists so we're all just waiting for something to click that isn't actually happening.

Wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if Gakpo returns to playing upfront, and Jota is the first attacking sub off the bench again on Sunday.