You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Welcome to Liverpool Luis Diaz

Bjornebye

Fuck me, I suppose sometimes I do take living in Britain for granted. 

Police air and land patrols searched a cloud forest in northern Colombia for Liverpool player Luis Diaz's father, who was kidnapped over the weekend along with his wife.

The couple were at a petrol station in the small town of Barrancas on Saturday when they were abducted by armed men on motorcycles. Diaz's mother, Cilenis Marulanda, was rescued within hours by police that set up roadblocks around the town of 40,000 people, which is near Colombia's border with Venezuela.

I'm guessing it might be the ELN who kidnapped him? They kidnapped a government official and family for about 6 months last year before releasing him. Grim.

The ELN, or the National Liberation Army, is a Colombian guerrilla group that has been responsible for a number of kidnappings in recent years. In 2023, the ELN has kidnapped at least 15 people, including a Colombian army sergeant and her two children.

The ELN uses kidnapping as a way to raise money and to exert pressure on the Colombian government. The group typically demands ransom payments from the victims' families or from the government in exchange for their release.

The kidnappings have occurred amid discussions of a bilateral ceasefire between the ELN and the Colombian government. While the two sides have agreed to halt operations against one another, the ELN has not committed to ending its criminal activities, including kidnapping.

The Colombian government has condemned the ELN kidnappings and has vowed to work to bring the perpetrators to justice. However, the group remains active in many parts of Colombia, and the kidnappings are a reminder of the challenges that the country faces in achieving a lasting peace.

The general outcomes of ELN kidnappings in Colombia are as follows:

• Ransom payments: The ELN typically demands ransom payments from the victims' families or from the government in exchange for their release. In 2022, the ELN received an estimated $5 million in ransom payments.
  • Psychological trauma: The victims of ELN kidnappings often suffer from psychological trauma, including post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
  • Economic hardship: The victims' families often face economic hardship due to the cost of ransom payments.
  • Displaced communities: The ELN's presence and activities can lead to displacement of communities, as people flee their homes to avoid being kidnapped.
  • Undermined peace process: The ELN's kidnappings undermine the peace process between the group and the Colombian government.

In addition to these general outcomes, ELN kidnappings can also have specific consequences for the victims and their families. For example, some victims have been killed or tortured by their captors. Others have been released with serious health problems. And still others have been forced to drop out of school or work to help pay their family's ransom debt.

The ELN's kidnappings are a serious human rights violation and a major obstacle to peace in Colombia. The Colombian government and the international community must continue to work to bring the perpetrators to justice and to support the victims and their families.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Mathewbet1 said:

I'm guessing it might be the ELN who kidnapped him? They kidnapped a government official and family for about 6 months last year before releasing him. Grim.

The police were saying that they believe it was a criminal gang that have kidnapped Diaz Sr and not Marxist-Leninist guerrillas.

Residents of the town have held a march for his release.

Luis Díaz: Colombians march for release of footballer's father - BBC News

Coincidentally I watched Man On Fire on Saturday night and the brother of the main kidnapper, looked by Diaz.  A line that stands out from the movie is that he was a business man, the value to him is keeping the kidnapped victim alive. 

59 minutes ago, Harry Squatter said:

My mate wants to retire to Colombia as he thinks his pension will let him live like a king there and the health service is allegedly good. I reckon he will be kidnapped within 2 weeks of retiring there. His ex Mrs won't pay the ransom either. 

He’ll have spent the lot on brasses by then.

1 hour ago, Champ said:

…or negotiations are taking place for his release. I hope it’s that

I reckon Diaz/government will pay the ransom but have to make it look like they didn't lest it leads to open season.

You actually get brokers in Latin American who do this for a living the way you'd broker a mortgage.

1 hour ago, Harry Squatter said:

My mate wants to retire to Colombia as he thinks his pension will let him live like a king there and the health service is allegedly good. I reckon he will be kidnapped within 2 weeks of retiring there. His ex Mrs won't pay the ransom either. 

I hate to jest at a critical juncture, but your post reminded me of this old comic

wehaveyourwife.jpeg

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Harry Squatter said:

If he’s lucky they’ll kidnap her. He should get her to wear her most expensive jewellery in public.