You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Russia v Ukraine

Bjornebye

45 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

I dont think Ukrainian President Zelensky agrees with those reports considering he was on the streets urging resistance.

The Ukrainian president has taken to the streets of Kyiv to rally his people against the Russian invasion.

In a video posted this evening, Volodymyr Zelensky said: “We’re all here. Our military is here. Citizens in society are here. We’re all here defending our independence, our country, and it will stay this way."

It came after he released a series of social media videos from what appeared to be a bunker, saying in one that he was Moscow’s “number one” target.

He also reportedly told EU leaders in a video conference on Thursday evening “this might be the last time you see me alive”.

Despite the threat, Mr Zelensky vowed to remain in Kyiv, and on Friday evening he released a half-minute-long message from what appeared to be the streets of the capital, holding the camera himself and surrounded by close aides.

Fair play if true, some conkers on him.

2 minutes ago, Anubis said:

If the Klitschkos and Usyk are doing their bit, it’s only right and proper we do our duty and send Tony Bellew over.

"I'm gonna smash these Russians to bits, I am actually scared of what I'm going to do to them. It is what is though, I just want to get back home safely to the wife and kids."

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Captain Willard said:

Ha ha. These blokes are just desperate to take part in a proper war. One of them drives a camouflaged Defender 110 with a huge ariel.  The fact that they are handing out rifles to civilians seems to be a big pull factor. Whether they actually go of course is a different question. I will keep you updated. 

I’m tempted to grab a camcorder and go with them to film a documentary.

*clicks on Amazon*

HEL-PAS101-standard-PASGT-ballistic-pres

CT101-COVERT-TACTICAL-NAVY-PRESS.jpg

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Pureblood said:

Nobody has suggested it's "NATO's fault". That's wilfully misrepresenting people, which weakens your own argument. 

What some have said is that NATO expansion was provocative, whilst at the same time acknowledging Russian aggression.  The two are not mutually exclusive.

I'm genuinely not sure if you're serious or not. Judging by the tone of the the rest of your post, it suggests you are. Are you sure you want to stick with that. If you are, I'll reply but if you want to take back what you've written in this post, it'll save us both time.

2 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I'm genuinely not sure if you're serious or not. Judging by the tone of the the rest of your post, it suggests you are. Are you sure you want to stick with that. If you are, I'll reply but if you want to take back what you've written in this post, it'll save us both time.

Stick.

2 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

Mrs Willard is on a WhatsApp group for ex soldiers, there are a few meatheads making plans to hire a minibus, drive over there and volunteer. A bit like the Spanish civil war all over again. 

I've had one family member who hasn't shut up about it non stop since it started. He basically thinks everyone who never joined the army is the equivalent of a Vietnam draft dodger. He's never been in any combat situation apart from a brief stint in Kosovo yet talks down to everyone about wars like he's General Norman Schwarzkopf. 

Another lad I went to school with made out he was a black ops soldier when he fixed vehicles in an airbase in Iraq. He's gone on about dusting off his old boots and going back into combat.

Weirdly, the lad I know who did two stints in Helmand province and went to Yemen never says a word. You would never know he's been in the army because he doesn't talk about it 24/7 like the other two Rambo wannabees. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Anubis said:

*clicks on Amazon*

12 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Fair play if true, some conkers on him.

yeah seems genuine and it's takes some bottle to stay when you know your heads on the block so fair play to Zelensky there.

2 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

Mrs Willard is on a WhatsApp group for ex soldiers, there are a few meatheads making plans to hire a minibus, drive over there and volunteer. A bit like the Spanish civil war all over again. 

Except now your citizenship can be removed.

4 minutes ago, Anubis said:

*clicks on Amazon*

CT101-COVERT-TACTICAL-NAVY-PRESS.jpg

Would be a great 60 minute film.

First 10 mins is them packing up the van in Essex, kissing goodbye to the kids etc. 

The next 30 mins is the long drive across Europe. A few direct to the camera shots in the van and late nights in the Motels so we get to know them as characters, change our preconceived prejudices as we see the scared bloke inside that macho persona etc. 

Last 20 mins is chaotic hand held filming of the battles in kiev, brings home the mad reality of what they are actually doing, fat ex squaddies  in their 50s who now work as delivery drivers, trying to fight young professional soldiers from one of the largest armies in the world.

One of them gets shot in the last 5 mins, the others fly home to Stanstead on Ryanair, weary and shocked, grateful for just surviving.

I am going to pitch this to channel 4.  

• Upvote 1