You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Health Anxiety

20 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

When I go to bed worried I start sweating before I even nod off. It's completely demoralising because you can't control it, waking up in the middle of the night with cold wet sheets and broken sleep makes you feel even worse the next day. I've tried using a fan, wearing full pyjamas (I usually sleep in my boxies), chamomile tea, eating spicy food all-sorts. I even got that scared of going to bed that I didn't drink any fluids for almost half the day before bed just so I could sleep without sweating, needless to say that didn't do me any good. 

Have you ever tried Mirtazipine, it's great for sleep.

I don't know if there's more health shit around these days (Covid not withstanding) or you just notice more.

Like there's loads of McMillan adverts on with people seemingly dying in bed or with stitches on their head and stuff and you're like "fuck that". 

30 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

When I go to bed worried I start sweating before I even nod off. It's completely demoralising because you can't control it, waking up in the middle of the night with cold wet sheets and broken sleep makes you feel even worse the next day. I've tried using a fan, wearing full pyjamas (I usually sleep in my boxies), chamomile tea, eating spicy food all-sorts. I even got that scared of going to bed that I didn't drink any fluids for almost half the day before bed just so I could sleep without sweating, needless to say that didn't do me any good. 

Mate, I feel your pain. Nothing worse than googling the possible ailments linked with sweating at night either - vicious circle! I hate that feeling where you’re dreading going to bed. It goes either way with me - it’s either my ultimate escape or like you mention, makes it worse.

I had an eye test recently and they said everything was great - good vision, healthy on the oct, but one optical nerve was slightly bigger than the other, but nothing to worry about in my case. I looked it up out of interest and have been in a hole since. Rang them back a couple of days after to double check and they were adamant all was fine. Since then I’ve been stressing about all sorts, feeling rundown, mildly sweaty nights for a few nights, then it stops, then a couple more. I’m going to book in next week just for a check up as it’s driving me round the bend now.

2 minutes ago, belarus said:

Mate, I feel your pain. Nothing worse than googling the possible ailments linked with sweating at night either - vicious circle! I hate that feeling where you’re dreading going to bed. It goes either way with me - it’s either my ultimate escape or like you mention, makes it worse.

I had an eye test recently and they said everything was great - good vision, healthy on the oct, but one optical nerve was slightly bigger than the other, but nothing to worry about in my case. I looked it up out of interest and have been in a hole since. Rang them back a couple of days after to double check and they were adamant all was fine. Since then I’ve been stressing about all sorts, feeling rundown, mildly sweaty nights for a few nights, then it stops, then a couple more. I’m going to book in next week just for a check up as it’s driving me round the bend now.

I can imagine thats hell mate. Definitely get that check-up. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I don't know if there's more health shit around these days (Covid not withstanding) or you just notice more.

Like there's loads of McMillan adverts on with people seemingly dying in bed or with stitches on their head and stuff and you're like "fuck that". 

I thin its always been there people just haven't really diagnosed themselves with anything other than feeling shit (maybe just assuming thats what its meant to be like) until its come to the fore-front in recent years. 

2 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

I knew a fella, a lot older than me, who had a lot of pain and tremors due to MS who used to smoke a bit of weed, just enough to ease his symptoms.

It really did help him as he was a different fella after a smoke, tremors gone and pain eased.

I think he got it right by using just enough and not too much to get stoned.

He got burgled once and when the Bizzy came round he spotted the remains of a joint and my mate just shrugged and explained why he used it.

The Bizzy left after telling him he hadn't seen it but to be careful, it was illegal but he understood why he used it.

A week or so later, he gets a knock on the door and by the time he got there, whoever it was was gone, but there was a polythene zip bag full of weed in the letter basket.

He was convinced it was the Bizzy.

I miss him , he was a cracking fella, a bit of a rogue but a fountain of knowledge about MS, disability benefits etc, who helped me a lot when I was first diagnosed.

Hope didnt die of lung cancer?

40 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Hope didnt die of lung cancer?

He had a large part of his stomach removed a few years before I met him and was unable to eat ordinary food. I'm not sure why because he never spoke of it, but I think that's what eventually killed him.

He really was a cracking bloke who had more than his fair share of shite but in the 7 or 8 years I knew him, I never heard him complain once.

If anyone asked him how he was he'd just say "Different day, same shit. Anyway, how are you?"

He just stuck two fingers up to it all.

Inspirational really.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

He had a large part of his stomach removed a few years before I met him and was unable to eat ordinary food. I'm not sure why because he never spoke of it, but I think that's what eventually killed him.

He really was a cracking bloke who had more than his fair share of shite but in the 7 or 8 years I knew him, I never heard him complain once.

If anyone asked him how he was he'd just say "Different day, same shit. Anyway, how are you?"

He just stuck two fingers up to it all.

Inspirational really.

It would be lovely to have that attitude to life.

Got a new fitbit. Had one for years but was really inconsistent with it. But I know despite that my average resting heart rate is about 58-61. Yesterday with a hangover I had my fitbit on all day. My resting heart rate was about 80 all day. Today its 59 which makes me think about the damage the ale is doing

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

It would be lovely to have that attitude to life.

Although I know health anxiety is very real, I think that when some people have a life changing illness and they've come to terms with it they just get on with it and live for the day.

He was in a wheelchair long before I knew him and was more or less at peace with his lot but still fought every day.

His advice to me was own it, be bloody minded about it and don't let it dictate. 

He meant it too, I'd heard he wasn't doing too well so I went to see him and found him mowing the front garden in his wheelchair.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

13 hours ago, littletedwest said:

Got a new fitbit. Had one for years but was really inconsistent with it. But I know despite that my average resting heart rate is about 58-61. Yesterday with a hangover I had my fitbit on all day. My resting heart rate was about 80 all day. Today its 59 which makes me think about the damage the ale is doing

Dunno mate, sounds like drinking is good exercise

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

I've has a sore armpit and I'm pretty certain it's due to how I sleep on my arm, however I've been feeling around for swolen lymph nodes and, even though I can't feel any, have still convinced myself this evening that I'm going to die. It's quite bizarre. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I've has a sore armpit and I'm pretty certain it's due to how I sleep on my arm, however I've been feeling around for swolen lymph nodes and, even though I can't feel any, have still convinced myself this evening that I'm going to die. It's quite bizarre. 

It's so fucking weird, isn't it. Cunt brain. Imagine directing all that brain power to something useful. I wish I could 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

It's so fucking weird, isn't it. Cunt brain. Imagine directing all that brain power to something useful. I wish I could 

I think part of the problem for me is boredom. I don't have OCD these days but I used to get it as a teenager but only when I was off school. I think I've simply been at home (on my own all day) for too long. When you're busy you don't have time to worry about daft shit.

• Upvote 2

• 8 months later...

I’ve had a small lump above my belly button (not visible or painful) that I’ve googled loads and looks like it’s a hernia. Was going to get it checked out in the new year but it has worried me a little. Anyway I’ve just read this article (with a Cunt of a headline) and now I’m worrying a bit again. 

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/mum-given-death-sentence-christmas-22621943

14 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I’ve had a small lump above my belly button (not visible or painful) that I’ve googled loads and looks like it’s a hernia. Was going to get it checked out in the new year but it has worried me a little. Anyway I’ve just read this article (with a Cunt of a headline) and now I’m worrying a bit again. 

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/mum-given-death-sentence-christmas-22621943

Get it checked mate. I'm sure it's just a hernia but it can really fucking hurt if left untreated though. Have had 2 hernia repairs in the last 4 years and the first one (umbilical)has started to tear again so will look into it having it repaired. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I too have that lump, I just attribute it to putting weight on as there's no pain. I'd be interested to know what it is though.

One thing I've learned the hard way with all this is that the internet is not your friend. I can't stress that enough. Doctors are trained to interpret all the factors (symptoms, likelihood, other factors like age etc) the internet isn't and invariably defaults to the worst case scenario. 

My philosophy these days is if it's worrying me go the docs, if not don't. Old school. 

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

One thing I've learned the hard way with all this is that the internet is not your friend. I can't stress that enough. Doctors are trained to interpret all the factors (symptoms, likelihood, other factors like age etc) the internet isn't and invariably defaults to the worst case scenario. 

My philosophy these days is if it's worrying me go the docs, if not don't. Old school. 

Had this discussion with the wife. Spend enough time disappearing down health rabbit holes on the internet and you end up always unwell and convinced its even worse. The instructions / warnings on tablets are bad as well. I try to convince her they are basically lengthy arse-covering efforts to rule out any legal comeback , but she takes them very seriously and is surprised when she shows all the possible symptoms within 10 minutes.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

One thing I've learned the hard way with all this is that the internet is not your friend. I can't stress that enough. ...

One time I had some really troublesome symptoms - I won't go into detail but blood, snot and pain weren't even the worst among them. I went to google and there was a post from someone with exactly the same symptoms. I mean inconclusively exactly the fucking same. The post wasn't the first in the thread and I didn't read the previous ones. I didn't need to. This poster had exactly the same symptoms. The reply to this post was from a medical expert sharing his prognosis. 

My head swam as I read the words (I am paraphrasing as this was ages ago)..."I am sorry to report to you that this is certainly 'longus-latinus-name-us' and is always fatal within three months.

I honestly felt like I was gonna burst into tears. I didn't need to read on, but for some reason I did...

"...but don't worry. Your rabbit cannot pass this disease to humans."

That was the day I learned not to google my symptoms.

No rabbits were harmed in the making of this post

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

+1. Never Google. Ever. We aren't qualified to interpret the possible outcomes and their likelihoods. So our brains jump right to the bulletpoint that says "cancer" because it's a fucking scary word.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Yep. And if you're in any doubt go to the doctor sooner rather than later. It's amazing how small things can seem progressively more ominous the longer you leave them. There's a history of cancer and skin cancer in my family, and one day my brother arrived distraught about this mole on his stomach that was bleeding and inflamed regularly. He'd sat on that for months, fretting, and it turned out to be his ornate belt buckle rubbing on his gut.