You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Travel bucket list

elvis

There might be another thread , but I don't care 

I have done a bit of travel but nowhere near enough . 

I'd really love to see some of the big US cities in particular new York , San Francisco and maybe Los Angeles as I have a niece living there . I really want to see the downtown neighborhoods although I'd probably shit myself . I think I'd be in total awe of the place , just to actually visit all the spots I've seen like forever on TV 

Cuba is also a country I need to see before it changes completely. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, mattyq said:

Like to travel across Canada on the train

Toronto to Vancouver. 4 days

With weed being legal wonder if you can get stoned on the train?

If you bring edibles absolutely. 
Standard no smoking rules apply and some

provinces don’t allow public consumption but rarely if ever enforced.

Weed shops everywhere now

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Nunavut Patrick said:

If you bring edibles absolutely. 
Standard no smoking rules apply and some

provinces don’t allow public consumption but rarely if ever enforced.

Weed shops everywhere now

Hmm , might need to update my bucket list 

I've always held a fascination with Norway and the many tiny islands, not to mention the incredible Fjords. Think I'd like to swim in the frigid waters there too.

Just as I was between my travel heydey and settling down, for my 33rd birthday I threw a dart at the world and it landed on Papua New Guinea. I promised myself I'd go, but it's looking less likely by the year as it costs the same again to fly there from Australia as it cost to get to Australia and it doesn't strike me as a great place to be taking my kids, so maybe I'll go when I'm grey and old, or more likely never. It was the perfect place for my dart to hit though as it is mysterious and tropical, wild and unexplored. TheBitch (the poster, not me disrespecting my wife) might go for me.

Philippines - Another archipelago destination this time in a much more tropical setting, I'll never forget being allowed in the cockpit with the pilot as a kid flying back from Australia over Philippines and seeing an absolutely stunning country from the air.

Mostly my wunderlust is actually making me want to return to previous destinations such as Luang Prabang in Laos, Cinqueterre in Italy, Koh Phagnan in Thailand and Georgia (country, not US state)

• Upvote 1

On 31/12/2020 at 14:50, mattyq said:

Like to travel across Canada on the train

Toronto to Vancouver. 4 days

With weed being legal wonder if you can get stoned on the train?

I've kind of liked these ideas, and the likes of driving route 66 because you get to see a range of places in one trip, but what worries me is driving and sitting on the train aren't exactly the fun part of holidays, so would it be too much actual travelling? 

3 hours ago, Remmie said:

I've always held a fascination with Norway and the many tiny islands, not to mention the incredible Fjords. Think I'd like to swim in the frigid waters there too.

Just as I was between my travel heydey and settling down, for my 33rd birthday I threw a dart at the world and it landed on Papua New Guinea. I promised myself I'd go, but it's looking less likely by the year as it costs the same again to fly there from Australia as it cost to get to Australia and it doesn't strike me as a great place to be taking my kids, so maybe I'll go when I'm grey and old, or more likely never. It was the perfect place for my dart to hit though as it is mysterious and tropical, wild and unexplored. TheBitch (the poster, not me disrespecting my wife) might go for me.

Philippines - Another archipelago destination this time in a much more tropical setting, I'll never forget being allowed in the cockpit with the pilot as a kid flying back from Australia over Philippines and seeing an absolutely stunning country from the air.

Mostly my wunderlust is actually making me want to return to previous destinations such as Luang Prabang in Laos, Cinqueterre in Italy, Koh Phagnan in Thailand and Georgia (country, not US state)

I was supposed to be diving the Solomon Islands last year and getting there is via PNG, then the covid ruined everything. I’m the real loser because of this “global pandemic” that everyone is talking about. 

38 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Japan is the absolute top, I've wanted to go since I was a kid, the more of it I could see the better but Tokyo obviously the main destination.

Always fancied San Francisco too, but Japan is the only place I desperately want to go.

Had a trip booked to go see Tokyo, Mount Fuji, Kyoto, Osaka, and ishigaki (in the Okinawa islands) last year then COVID hit so it was cancelled. was a bastard as I was really looking forward to it but guess it was the same for everyone. 

in terms of dream destinations I’ve been lucky to visit some great places so far but on the list that we haven’t done are;

Argentina

An African safari 

tibet / Bhutan

New Zealand

i always joke I want to go to Mongolia too and after seeing some holiday itineraries it looks amazing.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Would actually love to go to North Korea too, genuinely. 

Everywhere's the fucking same now, same shops, same places to eat, same clothes, so anywhere that's still alien is somewhere I'd like to go. 

Yep for the same reasons I would like to go to the Stans, just somewhere that isn’t the same. 

I had a bizarre 8 hour layover in Turkmenistan years ago and would like to see more of it as it seemed alien.

• Upvote 1

I reckon any Communist country is going to feel pretty familiar to any scouser who remembers the eighties. We went to a museum in Estonia last year and it had a replica apartment from the Communist era and it looked no different at all to my nan's gaff, complete with the same wallpaper, there was a simulated image of the city outside the window too and it basically looked like Runcorn. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

Japan is the absolute top, I've wanted to go since I was a kid, the more of it I could see the better but Tokyo obviously the main destination.

Always fancied San Francisco too, but Japan is the only place I desperately want to go.

I went in 2005. I booked a round the world trip and we had 6 stopovers on our ticket.

Japan was the place I wanted to go to out of most of Asia. Was there only 5 days but loved it. There's a replica Cavern club in the Roppongi district of Tokyo which was hilarious. Once people found out me and my Mrs were from Liverpool they all came over and started talking to us. 

The sheer size of Tokyo and how busy it is blew my mind, yet everything runs like clockwork and no one dawdles or gets in your way. I stayed in a hotel overlooking Shinagawa station and just sat at the window watching all the trains come in and everyone pile off them and on in a polite manner. 

I went to a restaurant and the waitress came out with my bowl of noodles , she slipped and dropped them on the floor yet she came over to my table almost begging me for forgiveness like she had committed some unspeakable crime. I had to reassure her about 20 times it was bo big deal. 

Got the bullet train to Fuji, I remember it being very cloudy and cold there though!

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

I went in 2005. I booked a round the world trip and we had 6 stopovers on our ticket.

Japan was the place I wanted to go to out of most of Asia. Was there only 5 days but loved it. There's a replica Cavern club in the Roppongi district of Tokyo which was hilarious. Once people found out me and my Mrs were from Liverpool they all came over and started talking to us. 

The sheer size of Tokyo and how busy it is blew my mind, yet everything runs like clockwork and no one dawdles or gets in your way. I stayed in a hotel overlooking Shinagawa station and just sat at the window watching all the trains come in and everyone pile off them and on in a polite manner. 

I went to a restaurant and the waitress came out with my bowl of noodles , she slipped and dropped them on the floor yet she came over to my table almost begging me for forgiveness like she had committed some unspeakable crime. I had to reassure her about 20 times it was bo big deal. 

Got the bullet train to Fuji, I remember it being very cloudy and cold there though!

Awesome mate.

Yeah the people I know who've been say Tokyo is unbelievably safe despite its size. You can still do a real life Mario Kart race there I think too, quality.

49 minutes ago, skaro said:

San Sebastian.

My mate booked his stag do there and I thought he was being a pretentious twat but went along with it.

Was pleasantly surprised as it's one of the nicest places in Europe I've been to.you can see why Ernest Hemingway liked it as there are some elements of Havana there. 

Highlight of the trip was kayaking over to an island and climbing to the top where an old man had build a bar into a small cave. He was a bit eccentric with him and his dog living there, playing Leonard Cohen and Cat Stevens on an old record player. Served a nice cold beer, felt like Michael Corleone in Sicily when he sits in the bar after a long hike.

Was far better than going to Benidorm and sitting in an English bar drinking Carling for 3 days. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Awesome mate.

Yeah the people I know who've been say Tokyo is unbelievably safe despite its size. You can still do a real life Mario Kart race there I think too, quality.

Its boss, I'd defo go back. Theres some of my photos of the trip on my Facebook.

Mario Kart sounds genius.

Did a round the world trip in 2005, booked 6 weeks off work and somehow managed to get a round the world ticket for £1200 which had two free stopovers in Australia thrown in. 

Went to Tokyo, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Sydney, Cairns, Melbourne, Auckland, Tahiti and Los Angeles. I basically spent the entire holiday doing stuff and the only rest days we had were in Tahiti.

Had been lucky as I'd done loads of travelling the two years either side of that trip.

Went to:

Moscow

St Petersburg 

Athens 

Prague

Rome

Brazil

Argentina 

Chile

Uruguay and Paraguay on trips

Hong Kong

Krabi

India

Cuba

Sri Lanka

Dubai

Maldives

South Africa

Zimbabwe

Botswana

• Upvote 2

At the moment, more than anywhere else, The UK.

As for places I've not been to I'd really like to see north west Spain. It's looks incredible. 

Missus really wants to go to Costa Rica so might do that at the end of next year. If possible, obviously. Fucking hope so by then. 

2 hours ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

I've kind of liked these ideas, and the likes of driving route 66 because you get to see a range of places in one trip, but what worries me is driving and sitting on the train aren't exactly the fun part of holidays, so would it be too much actual travelling? 

I sailed across the Atlantic on a sailboat back in 2012 and the longest stretch was from the Cape Verde Isles to Barbados. Took about 13 days. When you're on Watch obviously you're helming and/or trimming the sails and then you're cooking or doing the domestic chores which leaves a lot of time to just sit and stare out at the ocean.

The pace of life just shifts right down and you get sucked into the whole experience. You find yourself staring out into nothingness for hours at a time. I should imagine it's similar to meditation.

When we got to Barbados I was gutted as the journey was over

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5