You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

US Election 2020 Thread

Bjornebye

1 minute ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Bit unfair to compare RP with Hades. RP is crackers (not sure he'd thank me for saying that) but he's not wantonly horrible like Hades all too often was.

Being thought of as crackers doesn't bother me too much, I can get that. And thanks.

6 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I thought I did. Also, applying your logic, if they have been BLM, they would have deserved to be absolutely hammered, so what is your problem? (And consider yourself insulted back, I live the choice of word to your superior imagination).

No you were trying to make a smarmy left/right dig as usual you Trumpite flag shagging walrus. If my Nan decided to break into the Capitol Building smashing windows and trying to climb through an internal one despite being warned by a guard with a gun I'd fully accept her being shot. 

4 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Bit unfair to compare RP with Hades. RP is crackers (not sure he'd thank me for saying that) but he's not wantonly horrible like Hades all too often was.

Give RP his due, he's man enough to own his bullshit. 

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

No you were trying to make a smarmy left/right dig as usual you Trumpite flag shagging walrus. If my Nan decided to break into the Capitol Building smashing windows and trying to climb through an internal one despite being warned by a guard with a gun I'd fully accept her being shot. 

I'll admit I'd have been slightly impressed by QAnan's antics.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

He was towards the end, for many years he was a ‘loveable lefty loon’. 

59 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Yeah it's the Capitol Police.

I may be wrong too but if they're part of the federal gov then I think part of that $750 billion could go towards them being better prepared for stuff like this.

They have their own budget which is a point of serious debate here as it has grown massively in the 2000's to the point where they are struggling to come up with accountability as to where it all goes. It has nothing to do with the Defense Dept budget.

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

You used that one before on somebody else, didn't you? A bit disappointed with the recycling.  

12 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

10 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Hope he doesn't start listening to Ben Shapiro podcasts and turn into a right cunt. 

1 minute ago, cloggypop said:

Stay away from Jordan Peterson and Ben Shapiro podcasts ir you might turn into a massive 

Hope he doesn't start listening to Ben Shapiro podcasts and turn into a right cunt. 

Was it Peterson that turned Hades? I’m thinking it was someone else...not Shapiro either. Let me think...

36 minutes ago, SasaS said:

You used that one before on somebody else, didn't you? A bit disappointed with the recycling.  

At least be more literary/intellectual about your smarmy left/right gags, SasaS.

Like that Trumpite flag shagging walrus, George Orwell:

Some people are more equal than others.

eg, that possibly-misunderstood, but generally well-intentioned humanitarian, Tito... and that absolute cunt, Salazar.

"What are we supposed to do?"

Well, not storm the Capitol for one.

Maybe not smoke weed in the Oregon room, thats another.

Maybe not whine about getting maced as you forcibly enter a federal building - so there is at least three.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/business/2021/01/07/capitol-riot-inside-look-reeve-pkg-lead-vpx.cnn/video/playlists/congress-affirms-president-elect-biden-win/

Cuz - well...

pepper-spray-03-as-ht-200723_15955198174

31minn-tactics-2-articleLarge.jpg?qualit

1 hour ago, SasaS said:

My impression was that Capitol police were initially overwhelmed and later focused on defending the representatives, leaving the halls to the rioters. It is still unclear who was supposed to react as a federal help. Local MPD said they engaged when they were asked for help, I read at one place it was the Mayor (D) who turned down deploying the National Guard, some say there was possible deference to Trump on the federal level and he obviously didn't want to deploy. I'd say it is more likely a combination of factors than an outright conspiracy or collusion on every level. People tend to forget this has never happened before, which may have influenced decision making. It is still not clear what was the actual plan of Trump supporters, if there was any, to seize the building and wait for the coup, seize the ballot boxes, occupy the building thus preventing confirmation. It looked pretty chaotic in many respects. I don't know how homogeneous these groups actually are with respect to some ultimate agenda.

The mayor doesn't control the national guard in DC, the President does and it was Pence that stepped in to get them ready in the end 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

The mayor doesn't control the national guard in DC, the President does and it was Pence that stepped in to get them ready in the end 

I think I read she was opposed to the guard deployment, so they initially sent only MPD. The impression from watching the DC press conference yesterday was that there was a lot of politicking going on over this along with various authority and responsibility clashes, as per usual in the US. She began the conference with a demand they get statehood for DC, whatever that means in practical terms.

1 hour ago, SasaS said:

People tend to forget this has never happened before, which may have influenced decision making. 

C'mon man - you can't be serious. It was planned months in advance, advertised by Trump himself in advance, then on the day and they had already reacted to BLM folks outside the White House and throughout DC in a very different way. It took them an hour to get to the Capitol, then another 90 minutes for it to kickoff. The White House specifically prevented local and federal law support for another two hours as it was going on.