You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cancel Culture

aRdja

1 minute ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

OK. Let's say Kelvin Mackenzie gets a publishing contract to expand his Hillsborough lies over 200 pages.  Would it be ridiculous to suggest that the existence of that book could cause pain? 

And if a person who you admired (whether they're a musician or whatever) were promoting that book, would it be ridiculous to suggest that that could cause pain?

But he hasn’t so it’s a bit moot.

He’d just be an even bigger cunt than he already is. He’d probably also never get a publishing deal for it as it’s been proven anything other than the truth that has been proven, is a lie. 

Hillsborough also happened 30 years ago, compared to ‘Mein Kampf’ which is nearly 100 years old. So the recent time of it happening would have more of an impact.

I wouldn’t be upset if someone I admired or loved endorsed it. I’d just probably stop admiring them. 

1 minute ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

It isn't. You said that you don't understand how a book could cause pain. I'm showing you how.

No you’re not. You’re offering up examples of things that haven’t happened. 

If he were to write a book, people have a choice to read it or not. 

Giving people of that ilk the time of day is what a) gives them attention, and b) causes people to becoming emotionally engaged because they have allowed him to impact their life by him doing something he’s always down, be a cunt.

He’s a nobody, and I appreciate it takes strength to not react to people like him, but that’s what needs to be done. 

An analogy: If a rattlesnake for example, was in your environment, you wouldn’t sit in the same environment would you? You’d take yourself out of the environment you are in, so you don’t have to deal with it. 

OK. Let's try a different approach. Let's suppose someone like Andy Ngo writes a book full of lies and misrepresentations, absolving white-supremacists and smearing anti-racists. Do you really not see how a book like that can cause pain for people on the receiving end of of racist abuse and violence?

"Taking yourself out of the environment" of your home country, where that book is published, widely discussed and promoted by musicians and talk-show hosts obviously isn't an option.

If you can't see how that can cause pain, there's really nothing else to discuss.

10 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

OK. Let's try a different approach. Let's suppose someone like Andy Ngo writes a book full of lies and misrepresentations, absolving white-supremacists and smearing anti-racist. Do you really not see how a book like that can cause pain for people on the receiving end of of racist abuse and violence?

"Taking yourself out of the environment" of your home country, where that book is published, widely discussed and promoted by musicians and talk-show hosts obviously isn't an option.

If you can't see how that can cause pain, there's really nothing else to discuss.

Who said anything about moving out the country? All different kinds books are widely discussed by all kinds of different people from all sorts of different walks of life, regardless of what they are about. 

Have you read Andy Ngo’s last book? Or are you basing your opinion on him, on somebody else’s opinion or him?

I personally know very little of him. Have no interest in him or finding anything more out, or in reading in the future anything by him, as I have a choice in that.

Regardless of whether it’s full of lies or the truth. It’s my choice not to. Same as it is yours and anybody else’s.

The analogy of the rattlesnake was that the rattlesnake was used to describe a negative entity/feeling/emotion. If you don’t want the negative entity in or around your life, you ignore by removing yourself from the environment, so in this example removing yourself is a)ignore it, b) avoid it, c) don’t react.

41 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

The analogy of the rattlesnake was that the rattlesnake was used to describe a negative entity/feeling/emotion. If you don’t want the negative entity in or around your life, you ignore by removing yourself from the environment, so in this example removing yourself is a)ignore it, b) avoid it, c) don’t react.

I love the way a hypothetical dishonest book by a bigoted liar is an unacceptable analogy for a real dishonest book by a bigoted liar, but a reptile is a reasonable analogy.

Removing yourself from the environment of a snake is a piece of piss. Removing yourself from the environment something that gets widely discussed in all the media and social media is trickier.

As their are still a few Holocaust survivors,and relatives of those survivors alive then I am sure there are plenty of publications that bring great distress to those people. The fact they don't 'have' to read them shouldn't mean they cannot get upset. Particularly as you can guarantee there are plenty of lies attached to them. It seems foolish to suggest otherwise.

36 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I love the way a hypothetical dishonest book by a bigoted liar is an unacceptable analogy for a real dishonest book by a bigoted liar, but a reptile is a reasonable analogy.

Removing yourself from the environment of a snake is a piece of piss. Removing yourself from the environment something that gets widely discussed in all the media and social media is trickier.

It’s not specifically about physically removing yourself, it’s about not letting things outside of your own environment (your body, mindset etc) influence your mood, feelings, emotions, reactions etc. 

A book by Andy Ngo is a real thing, a hypothetical book by Kelvin McKenzie is not.

The same logic applies though. You have a choice to or not to read it, or react to it.

Or hypothetically react or hypothetically not read it. Hypothetically the choice, is still yours. 

2 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

OK. Let's try a different approach. Let's suppose someone like Andy Ngo writes a book full of lies and misrepresentations, absolving white-supremacists and smearing anti-racists. Do you really not see how a book like that can cause pain for people on the receiving end of of racist abuse and violence?

You’ve just described the Daily Mail 

3 hours ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Says the poster who only yesterday on the MF asked for me to be banned. 

What happened with your  A.B.C. advice there? 

31 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Fucking hell. Here we go again. Learn to read you thick cunt. 

Show me where I asked for you to banned. 

I thought you had me on ignore? Sent to Coventry? 

I've got no fucking intrest in engaging with you anyway yer daft cunt. 

You brought me into one of your silly feuds before and it didn't go well for you. Now smoke a blunt fuck off and do yourself a favour and take your tongue out of Numeros arse.

• Downvote 1

15 hours ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

A.B.C..

A. ignore it. B. avoid it. C. don't react. 

How's this psycobable working for you? Not very well it seems.

Nevermind cheer yourself up with a song. The Jacksons, coming to all the way from Coventry. Just for you.

• Downvote 1