You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cancel Culture

aRdja

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/06/2021 at 12:39, SasaS said:

Billie Eilish in trouble now.

I had to google the lyrics to find out what was the Asian slur, it was so horrible that no website article dared repeat it.

What a time to be alive indeed. 

Well she's definitely cancelled now - she made an 11 second video to promote her new album in which she says "Hi Israel".

• 2 weeks later...

Publisher Picador is considering alterations to Kate Clanchy's Orwell prize-winning memoir amid accusations of racial and ableist stereotyping.

Some Kids I Taught and What They Taught Me sparked online criticism, including from fellow authors, after a reader review highlighted alleged problematic descriptions of children.

The 2019 book examines Clanchy's time teaching in UK state schools.

In response, the author said she's "grateful" for a chance to rewrite it.

john_hurt_1984_i.jpg

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

Publisher Picador is considering alterations to Kate Clanchy's Orwell prize-winning memoir amid accusations of racial and ableist stereotyping.

Some Kids I Taught and What They Taught Me sparked online criticism, including from fellow authors, after a reader review highlighted alleged problematic descriptions of children.

The 2019 book examines Clanchy's time teaching in UK state schools.

In response, the author said she's "grateful" for a chance to rewrite it.

john_hurt_1984_i.jpg

So she's not been cancelled but has been given the opportunity to remove the offending terms that she refers to former pupils by?

I think this cancel culture thread is missing a bit of cancelling myself.

31 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Mob arrived 

Mob told her what to do

She said no at first

Mob threatened her

she did as she was told

she wasn’t cancelled 

Did any of that really happen?  I mean, bearing in mind how mortally offended you were yesterday by the word "trawl", are you sure you're not exaggerating the tiniest bit.

"Book industry figures condemn abuse of Clanchy critics in open letter | The Bookseller" https://www.thebookseller.com/news/open-letter-signed-150-clanchy-saga-publishing-must-do-better-1275793

59 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Mob arrived 

Mob told her what to do

She said no at first

Mob threatened her

she did as she was told

she wasn’t cancelled 

It's the death of culture, no different at all to what happens in authoritarian regimes.

You can't write or say certain things or depict certain situations or characters, for any number of reasons, for fear of sensure, and that has now resulted in a situation where people are going BACK over what has already been produced and removing what people have been offended by to produce an acceptable version that's been duly sanctioned and approved by the Twitter commentariat, with the original 'offending' material now maybe only being available in small numbers under the counter from a man with a pipe and trilby hat, and only then if someone vouches for you. Like the Grasshopper Lies Heavy. One day soon old David Walliams books will be passed around like bibles in Leningrad.

I genuinely find it quite bizarre that prize winning authors rewriting publsihed works due to being attacked doesn't horrify people. What a time to be alive.

• Upvote 10

Lead designer of enormously successful video game Apex Legends fired for stuff he wrote in 2007

(NB the name thing is just a coincidence)

'Apex Legends' lead designer fired for offensive remarks made in 2007 (nme.com)

Daniel Z Klein, lead game designer on Apex Legends, has left Respawn Entertainment after a series of offensive blog posts published in 2007 were discovered late last month.

Images from a DeviantArt blog were circulated on Twitter in July 2021 containing sexist and derogatory language directed at women and African people.

At the time, Klein made a statement on Twitter explaining that he was “embarrassed, sad, and angry at my younger self” and that he “apologised unreservedly” for what was said.

In addition, Klein’s colleague, Ryan K Rigney, Respawn’s director of communications spoke in support of the game designer, explaining that “I don’t think anything from 2007 reflects on a person in 2021”.

In a statement to Fanbyte, an EA spokesperson described the comments on July 29 as “disturbing, and we certainly don’t condone the point of view expressed. Our [human resources department] is aware and investigating”.

According to the site, Klein was let go on August 6 with the former Apex Legends game designer confirming the news in a series of tweets a few days later.

Klein tweeted that he was “heartbroken and depressed” at the decision and that it’s “been a very dark few days”. He went on to explain that he “wholeheartedly [agrees] that THAT guy should have been fired” referring to his younger self but explained that he had “poured so much energy into becoming a better person since then”.

34 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Did any of that really happen?  I mean, bearing in mind how mortally offended you were yesterday by the word "trawl", are you sure you're not exaggerating the tiniest bit.

"Book industry figures condemn abuse of Clanchy critics in open letter | The Bookseller" https://www.thebookseller.com/news/open-letter-signed-150-clanchy-saga-publishing-must-do-better-1275793

Well, you could just search her name on Twitter and see it all play out in real time.  

Some people, like say John Cleese or JK Rowling are too big to cancel.  If you’re not then it’s conform or disappear.  

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

It's the death of culture, no different at all to what happens in authoritarian regimes.

You can't write or say certain things or depict certain situations or characters, for any number of reasons, for fear of sensure, and that has now resulted in a situation where people are going BACK over what has already been produced and removing what people have been offended by to produce an acceptable version that's been duly sanctioned and approved by the Twitter commentariat, with the original 'offending' material now maybe only being available in small numbers under the counter from a man with a pipe and trilby hat, and only then if someone vouches for you. Like the Grasshopper Lies Heavy. One day soon old David Walliams books will be passed around like bibles in Leningrad.

I genuinely find it quite bizarre that prize winning authors rewriting publsihed works due to being attacked doesn't horrify people. What a time to be alive.

It’s also giving some really terrible pricks a vehicle to, by contrast, pitch themselves as counter culture, rebelling against a pious, censorious establishment. Thus helping the right hoover up even more votes, and worse, thrusting toe-curling bellends like Lawrence Fox and Martin Daubney onto us all. Some weird, lopsided shit going on nowadays.

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Well, you could just search her name on Twitter and see it all play out in real time.  

Some people, like say John Cleese or JK Rowling are too big to cancel.  If you’re not then it’s conform or disappear.  

I searched her name on Google and got a report (linked above) that says some people criticised her choice of language, she accepted the criticism, but that wasn't enough to save her critics from a beasting on Twitter.

Not really the RKO horror scene you described.

6 minutes ago, Dr Nowt said:

It’s also giving some really terrible pricks a vehicle to, by contrast, pitch themselves as counter culture, rebelling against a pious, censorious establishment. Thus helping the right hoover up even more votes, and worse, thrusting toe-curling bellends like Lawrence Fox and Martin Daubney onto us all. Some weird, lopsided shit going on nowadays.

Fox and Beverly Turner are weird.  It’s like they’ve seen Katie Hopkins disappear and thought ‘I’ll have a bit of that!’ 

Just now, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I searched her name on Google and got a report (linked above) that says some people criticised her choice of language, she accepted the criticism, but that wasn't enough to save her critics from a beasting on Twitter.

Not really the RKO horror scene you described.

Must be true then.  You read a report in the Guardian.  Again, you can search and see it happen in real time.  

3 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Fox and Beverly Turner are weird.  It’s like they’ve seen Katie Hopkins disappear and thought ‘I’ll have a bit of that!’ 

They don't mind being odious disgusting 'contrary for the sake' of it wankers as long as it brings in the coin. Laurence Fox is definitely playing that game seeing as he can't act, sing and won't get a proper job because he thinks he's above that. Unfortunately I think Hopkins is actually the same as she comes across with or without an audience the horrible bastard. 

I hate that Emilia Fox is that pricks sister

emilia_fox.jpg

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Must be true then.  You read a report in the Guardian.  Again, you can search and see it happen in real time.  

I'm not about to take research hints from a walloper who thinks that Twitter is a reliable source of truth and can't even identify who publishes a report into the story.

Just now, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I'm not about to take research hints from a walloper who thinks that Twitter is a reliable source of truth and can't even identify who publishes a report into the story.

It all played out on Twitter, that’s why you can see it happening in real time.  I’m not asking you to get the opinions of what happened, I’m telling you that you can actually see it happening.  

11 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

It all played out on Twitter, that’s why you can see it happening in real time.  I’m not asking you to get the opinions of what happened, I’m telling you that you can actually see it happening.  

Is this your approach to every news story, Consistency Kid?

"Immigration? I'd better pop down to Dover to actually see it happening."

29 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

They don't mind being odious disgusting 'contrary for the sake' of it wankers as long as it brings in the coin. Laurence Fox is definitely playing that game seeing as he can't act, sing and won't get a proper job because he thinks he's above that. Unfortunately I think Hopkins is actually the same as she comes across with or without an audience the horrible bastard. 

I hate that Emilia Fox is that pricks sister

emilia_fox.jpg

She's his cousin, not sister.