You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cancel Culture

aRdja

2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Part of the story appears to be around her doing accents too?

Eilish said footage of her imitating accents was her speaking in a “silly gibberish made up voice”, something she has done since she was a child.

She added: “It is absolute gibberish and just me goofing around, and is in NO way an imitation of anyone or any language, accent, or culture in the SLIGHTEST.”

I guess Darren Farley is fucked too then if accents are off-limits too. 

Never challenge the fucking coward or else...

I guess it's payback for ducking the leadership debate on Channel Four before the last election and then the Gary Gibbons interview the other week being the final nail 

Ministers will push to privatise Channel 4 in TV shake-up

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/jun/23/ministers-will-push-to-privatise-channel-4-in-tv-shake-up

39 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

GUY FAWKES WHERE ARE YOU?!!!

He's long since been appropriated by the hard-right under the guise of Paul 'Piss' Staines.

It's a triumph of the right-wing punditry class that, despite being the vehicle of the wealthy, the privileged, the elite, the powerful and the establishment, with a well-chosen moniker and a 'voice of the common people' type slogan bandied about here and there, they've managed to convince millions of common people that they're anything but.

Cf: Nigel Farage

• Upvote 1

'Appropriated'? He was a fucking Catholic bigot - who wasn't interested in the people, nor was he against the elite ruling - just Protestants ruling. He fought with the Spanish FFS. 

This isn't a hero, nor a working class saint. He was a religious bigot, who was prepared to kill for it. If you want a hero use Wat Tyler, a genuine working class hero. 

30 minutes ago, Jockey said:

'Appropriated'? He was a fucking Catholic bigot - who wasn't interested in the people, nor was he against the elite ruling - just Protestants ruling. He fought with the Spanish FFS. 

This isn't a hero, nor a working class saint. He was a religious bigot, who was prepared to kill for it. If you want a hero use Wat Tyler, a genuine working class hero. 

Fuck me! I do know who Guy Fawkes was, thanks, and you'll have to show me where I said he was a hero* or working class saint. I was speaking in the sense that he's seen as a figure of rebellion and famous for trying to end the existing order - and now he's been appropriated by the establishment in the form of the Guido Fawkes site who pretend to be rebellious and of the people against the established order. 

He was a hero, of course, to many Catholics of the time and since. Although that's irrelevant to the point I was making.

22 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

Remember when there was a quote by someone like Peterson that being called racist meant fuck all anymore, that if you were called racist by a certain type of person it wasn’t what ‘normal’ people meant so don’t listen? It was pulled apart on here and people went fucking mental. Well, this is what was meant.  

How about, when you're called racist instead of lashing out and dismissing the person saying it, you actually look at what they're saying about your own actions; y'know, just like a decent human might do.

• Downvote 1

21 minutes ago, Jack the Sipper said:

Fuck me! I do know who Guy Fawkes was, thanks, and you'll have to show me where I said he was a hero* or working class saint. I was speaking in the sense that he's seen as a figure of rebellion and famous for trying to end the existing order - and now he's been appropriated by the establishment in the form of the Guido Fawkes site who pretend to be rebellious and of the people against the established order. 

He was a hero, of course, to many Catholics of the time and since. Although that's irrelevant to the point I was making.

Ah my bad! I just read the headlines. Sorry. 

Although I think he has his natural home now? 

On 16/06/2021 at 16:51, Strontium Dog™ said:

Curious that they don't give any specific examples of racism, unless simply being dominated by the dominant local ethnic group is racist now.

Or maybe that report isn't the full story and the people who chose to disband know more about their group than we do?

• Downvote 1

22 hours ago, Mudface said:

And she's had to come out with a grovelling apology to pre-empt the torches and pitchforks. Fucking nonsense.

Maybe she's just chosen to apologise, sincerely and not under duress.

God knows, if I was famous enough for pictures to surface of me as a golliwog in a 1977 school Christmas play, I'd want to make it clear that I don't stand by that shit.

• Downvote 2

13 minutes ago, Jockey said:

Ah my bad! I just read the headlines. Sorry. 

Although I think he has his natural home now? 

You're probably right there. 

I should've been more clearer that I was referring to his popular image nowadays father than the historical figure. It's not just the Guido Fawkes site trying to trade on that image, it's the Anonymous movement, it's even Alan Moore with V For Vendetta.

2 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

How about, when you're called racist instead of lashing out and dismissing the person saying it, you actually look at what they're saying about your own actions; y'know, just like a decent human might do.

Who’s lashing out? This woman has no history of racism, is blatantly not racist and is being called a racist.  I wish she’d have told the mob to fuck the fuck off. But she chose not to and I can’t blame her. 

2 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Maybe she's just chosen to apologise, sincerely and not under duress.

God knows, if I was famous enough for pictures to surface of me as a golliwog in a 1977 school Christmas play, I'd want to make it clear that I don't stand by that shit.

The more I read this the worse it becomes.  Pitchfork anyone? 

21 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

The more I read this the worse it becomes.  Pitchfork anyone? 

Well I was in a nativity play at OLA Hartsbourne Avenue Circa 1972

when I was about 7. I’m truly sorry if I have offended anybody, I don’t even know what my part was but I’m sure it was horribly offensive so for that I am truly sorry

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

You of course held the exact same viewpoint when Luis Suarez was accused of racism by Patrice Evra?...........just like a decent human might do

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jockey said:

Yeah but Stig is a sectarian cunt. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Captain Howdy said:

Well I was in a nativity play at OLA Hartsbourne Avenue Circa 1972

when I was about 7. I’m truly sorry if I have offended anybody, I don’t even know what my part was but I’m sure it was horribly offensive so for that I am truly sorry

Sounds like you were culturally appropriating, pretending to be a member of the Hebrew race, or "Yidface" as we call it.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Sounds like you were culturally appropriating, pretending to be a member of the Hebrew race, or "Yidface" as we call it.

Maybe, to be honest I think I might have only been in the choir I only have  a very vague memory of it but in any event I’m sure I’ve offended somebody so I’m deeply sorry. I mean you can’t take my job cos I’m semi - retired but maybe in the next life.

3 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

Who’s lashing out?

I was talking about Peterson's dead good advice about declaring that people who call you racist should be ignored.  

Fuck that shit. Nobody ever grew up without taking the time to listen when they get criticised. Maybe, in some cases, you can consider the criticism unfounded; the important point is that you actually consider it. Dismissing criticism on the basis of who says it is just a way of cementing yourself in your own stupidity.