You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cancel Culture

aRdja

Didn't know where to put this but it popped up on a YouTube vid I was watching and I thought it was interesting.

Basicslly this is the kid of a DC super character (it looks remarkably like the writer). There seems to have been a move away from super hero stuff in comics toward stuff around woke culture, diversity etc and the big companies are struggling as a result apparently. Marvel actually created two characters called Snowflake and safespace. 

The vid made a good point though that comics, and most films, revolve around heroes who are better than us, who we aspire to be like, and it's kind of human nature. But when you celebrate "ordinary" you kind of undermine the whole concept of the hero's journey. 

I personally wouldn't have enjoyed Die Hard as much if McClaine had stayed in the bathroom crying. 

i-am-not-starfire-1024x1536.jpg

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, stringvest said:

Julie Burchill is a fucking disgrace.  She was amusing when writing in the NME, but then I was in my teens and impressed by anything edgy.  Like her compadre John Lydon, she's turned into some right wing Israel supporting reactionary cunt.

Her fucking voice, she’s like the hooker in Man With Two Brains. ‘Keep talking’

1 minute ago, Rico1304 said:

Her fucking voice, she’s like the hooker in Man With Two Brains. ‘Keep talking’

She's fucking awful in every sense and to every sense.  She almost certainly smells terrible. When she hooked up with another (better) writer on the NME, they used to swan around like they were some sort of literary Bonnie and Clyde.  A grotesque fuck with a massively inflated opinion of her own talent.  

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Bump. Julie Burchill. Any thoughts?

She's a gobshite who sometimes has something worthwhile to say.

This latest furore is ridiculous. Ash Sarkar got on her high horse over that idiot Rod Liddle joking about not becoming a teacher because he'd like to bang the pupils. Burchill invoked the Muhammad/Aisha controversy and the result is that Burchill has now been cancelled. 

1 minute ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

She's a gobshite who sometimes has something worthwhile to say.

This latest furore is ridiculous. Ash Sarkar got on her high horse over that idiot Rod Liddle joking about not becoming a teacher because he'd like to bang the pupils. Burchill invoked the Muhammad/Aisha controversy and the result is that Burchill has now been cancelled. 

And they say the joke was from 2012.

Burchill’s a real dickhead and piece of work, she’s written for pretty much everyone.

She’s a rent a controversial feminist point, shame as some of her ideas have merit and she was quite witty, but become a rent a gob for any wonky radical feminist position, throw in ‘I get pissed all the time, ain’t i a laugh’ and you have her output.

Liddle is another level of entitled cunt though, a genuine no mark who believes the world centres around him and his ego.

This is the offending article...

7A5628EE-E92B-4FA6-A2B9-23DF8950463A.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Burchill’s a real dickhead and piece of work, she’s written for pretty much everyone.

She’s a rent a controversial feminist point, shame as some of her ideas have merit and she was quite witty, but become a rent a gob for any wonky radical feminist position, throw in ‘I get pissed all the time, ain’t i a laugh’ and you have her output.

Liddle is another level of entitled cunt though, a genuine no mark who believes the world centres around him and his ego.

This is the offending article...

7A5628EE-E92B-4FA6-A2B9-23DF8950463A.jpeg

They are both cunts.  But to go back and be faux outraged about an 8 yr old article is madness.  To be outraged at this you must believe that Liddell is being serious. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

They are both cunts.  But to go back and be faux outraged about an 8 yr old article is madness.  To be outraged at this you must believe that Liddell is being serious. 

I think the fact it was written is enough to damn Liddle as the egotistical, entitled, bellend he is though, no matter the time stamp. 

I can’t stand the cunt, so an article about him saving kids from a burning orphanage I’d criticise him for not saving the plants aswell, so you know where I am.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I think the fact it was written is enough to damn Liddle as the egotistical, entitled, bellend he is though, no matter the time stamp. 

I can’t stand the cunt, so an article about him saving kids from a burning orphanage I’d criticise him for not saving the plants aswell, so you know where I am.

But that’s the point, I don’t think it alters anyone’s views on him.  Hes playing a role in the article and hes clearly taking the piss.  He’s winding up those who don’t like him and those that do will be laughing at the pearl clutchers.  Imagine how funny he finds this article being dragged up and a whole new generation being amused or offended.    

14 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

But that’s the point, I don’t think it alters anyone’s views on him.  Hes playing a role in the article and hes clearly taking the piss.  He’s winding up those who don’t like him and those that do will be laughing at the pearl clutchers.  Imagine how funny he finds this article being dragged up and a whole new generation being amused or offended.    

I get your point entirely and you are right, it’s just another episode of the perennial outrage olympics.

The wider point though about Liddle clearly stating he’d probably fuck school kids though shouldn’t ever have passed the editors desk and is damning of the standard of output The Spectator consistently allows to seep out to keep eyeballs on it.

Purile, entitled, sixth form nonsense masquerading as a serious publication and I repeat, Liddle is a cunt.

• Upvote 2