You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

8 minutes ago, Grinch said:

Is a top premier league club spending 60m really taking the piss?   They shouldn't have to sell to buy with the amount of TV money and prize money. 

It’s not this initial outlay of £60. As has been pointed out, this is probably the Sane money. It’s an assumption that the speed they’re doing business at means this is just the start of another £150m-£200m spending spree. If they don’t end up doing that then fair dos, if they do, without further sales, they’re firmly in piss taking territory. 

10 minutes ago, Horus said:

Can we just do away with the notion that those of us complaining want shiny, jealousy-fuelled baubles, instead of a dynasty.

I've waited the full 30 years for this, and at times, I didn't ever see a path to winning the league again in my lifetime, but we're here, and we're not kicking on. All this talk of players not willing to sit on the bench, as though sancho (as an example) wouldn't get his games over the 5 years of his contract. Why this revisionism that suggests united, Barca, Madrid, etc, only ever had 11 good players, when it's just bullshit. 

Building the team the way Klopp is forced to will always have a shorter shelf life, than by adding great players whilst we're top dogs. We all remember losing targets every year as we were struggling for top 4. The age of this team/squad needs great young players added otherwise when Klopp walks out the door in only 4 years time, we'll be straight back to competing for top 4. We saw the difference in ferguson's last season vs moyes' 3/4's of a season. 

End of the day, we all want a successful football club. Ive waited 30 years for this as well. I, like you, have seen the club go through periods when it spent like a drunken sailor on shore leave. Ive seen it shop in the basement bucket. Ive seen it dragged to virtual bankruptcy by a couple of cowboys.

Some people dont believe the club was on the verge of bankruptcy and still believe better owners than the current ones are out there. Yep, and the Moon landings didnt happen and the earth is flat. All well and good if people want to believe that stuff.

I'll say it again, beyond a successful football club, I really dont know what people want. Well I do really, it's just a club spending wrecklessly in the current climate. Not for me Bob.

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

End of the day, we all want a successful football club. Ive waited 30 years for this as well. I, like you, have seen the club go through periods when it spent like a drunken sailor on shore leave. Ive seen it shop in the basement bucket. Ive seen it dragged to virtual bankruptcy by a couple of cowboys.

Some people dont believe the club was on the verge of bankruptcy and still believe better owners than the current ones are out there. Yep, and the Moon landings didnt happen and the earth is flat. All well and good if people wantto believe that stuff.

I'll say it again, beyond a successful football club, I really dont know what people want. Well I do really, it's just a club spending wrecklessly in the current climate. Not for me Bob.

It's a club spending what it earns to address the obvious glaring flaws in the squad. 

Everything else you wrote is bollocks, as per usual. 

I don't see a clamour for the club to spend recklessly.

What I see is people anxious that we may fail to build from a position of strength and that our rivals will strengthen, which then makes it potentially more difficult for us to remain succesful.

• Upvote 6

Is it not accepted that Klopp wanted Werner and we couldnt afford him? Whether thats due to Covid, a Yacht, Training ground or whatever is another matter.

I thought it had been reported by literally everyone. 

Isnt it accepted that Klopp had been on the phone to him/his family before we pulled out.

Just now, Fluter in Dakota said:

@Grinch

I'm waiting for an answer. If you have the temerity to insult somone and leverage that against 'facts', at least have the balls to prove them.

What's the fucking point, you'll stick your fingers in yours ears.   Klopp was clearly after him and the owners pulled the rug due to finances, this much is known. 

• Downvote 2

11 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

They need to get certain players in to improve their squad so it's perfectly reasonable for them to spend whatever they are on Nathan Aké. Whether he improves them or not is another matter altogether.

I like Aké. He’d have been good for us as he could cover both CH and LB. Having said that £40m is too much money for him as he wouldn’t be an automatic starter.

1 minute ago, John102 said:

Is it not accepted that Klopp wanted Werner and we couldnt afford him? Whether thats due to Covid, a Yacht, Training ground or whatever is another matter.

Isnt it accepted that Klopp had been on the phone to him/his family before we pulled out.

Of course it is.   Those that pretend the owners can do no wrong want tape recordings of these phone calls though. 

• Downvote 2

1 minute ago, Grinch said:

What's the fucking point, you'll stick your fingers in yours ears.   Klopp was clearly after him and the owners pulled the rug due to finances, this much is known. 

I thought so. I actually think you're a decent poster so a bit disappointed to read that.

4 minutes ago, Grinch said:

Shut your fucking noise. We've just won the league. We hold the European cup. We are the best side on the planet. 

Fuck sake 

• Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, John102 said:

It's very likely that we did want him, but to say that we didn't sign him simply because we didn't want to spend is making it far too simplistic. There are a lot of moving parts to football transfers so putting it down exclusively to one of those and calling that a fact is not neccessarily the truth.

It could have been financial. It could have been agents. It could have been location. It could have been game time. It could have been a number of these things and it could have been a number of other things. It could even just simply be that either Klopp or Werner changed their minds.

1 minute ago, dockers_strike said:

Some people dont believe the club was on the verge of bankruptcy and still believe better owners than the current ones are out there. Yep, and the Moon landings didnt happen and the earth is flat. All well and good if people wantto believe that stuff.

And you're straight back to ridiculous nonsensical conspiracy accusations, that does you a disservice. How long can "the owners saved us" be the main excuse for not kicking on and expecting as much as other dominant clubs? They didn't save us because they love us, they bought us because we were a distressed asset, that could be turned around. They were nowhere near good owners (imo) until Klopp walked through the door, which is a bit of a coincidence. 

Buying generational talents that will only be available in this window is not spending recklessly, it would be spending wisely for our future. Wreckless management is believing winning the league once is enough, so every decision made from here on out is the correct one. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

It's very likely that we did want him, but to say that we didn't sign him simply because we didn't want to spend is making it far too simplistic. There are a lot of moving parts to football transfers so putting it down exclusively to one of those and calling that a fact is not neccessarily the truth.

It could have been financial. It could have been agents. It could have been location. It could have been game time. It coul have been a number of these things.

No, I think it's been pretty established that the reason for not signing Werner was financial. His release clause having to be paid in one shot combined with big wage demands made the initial outlay too big for us with the Covid situation. Whether people take that as a valid excuse is another thing. 

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

No, I think it's been pretty established that the reason for not signing Werner was financial. His release clause having to be paid in one shot combined with big wage demands made the initial outlay too big for us with the Covid situation. Whether people take that as a valid excuse is another thing. 

Is it not possible that would have breached FFP?

4 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

It could have been financial. It could have been agents. It could have been location. It could have been game time. It could have been a number of these things and it could have been a number of other things. It could even just simply be that either Klopp or Werner changed their minds.

It was literally reported everywhere as being financial.

Werner was in the press for months talking about how he wanted to come. I dont think a player does that unless they have already spoken to the manager, understood their role and likely have an idea on the wages. Not the level of flirting Werner was doing anyway.

I think its pretty clear it was financial, whether rightly or wrongly.

We all have our views though.

14 minutes ago, an tha said:

I don't see a clamour for the club to spend recklessly.

What I see is people anxious that we may fail to build from a position of strength and that our rivals will strengthen, which then makes it potentially more difficult for us to remain succesful.

Exactly

This debate is a bit pointless at this stage with the window barely open. The chances are that we'll move on a few young and fringe players who don't add much or anything to the playing squad and Jurgen will have the budget to add a couple of players where the squad most needs them. 

Just now, aws said:

This debate is a bit pointless at this stage with the window barely open. The chances are that we'll move on a few young and fringe players who don't add much or anything to the playing squad and Jurgen will have the budget to add a couple of players where the squad most needs them. 

Which I think would satisfy most. Just some doubt we might not do the latter part.

I don't think there was anybody on here who wanted Werner more than I wanted him. I posted on him for years about him. But it's not just about one player, one signing. They need to fit in with the group, make financial sense, show the right attitude, and the timing needs to be right. The timing was right for VVD because he waited. Werner wouldn't wait and went to Chelsea. Mo did that first time by the look of it. Who knows how it will work out. I think the owners should have sanctioned the transfer if the manager saw the money was worth it. I suspect it was a joint decision or at least the reasoning made sense. Like 'we can't pay it all up front plays commit to massive agents fees, etc'. I dunno, doesn't seem like Klopp is fuming. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, John102 said:

It was literally reported everywhere as being financial.

Werner was in the press for months talking about how he wanted to come. I dont think a player does that unless they have already spoken to the manager, understood their role and likely have an idea on the wages. Not the level of flirting Werner was doing anyway.

I think its pretty clear it was financial, whether rightly or wrongly.

We all have our views though.

After what happened with van Dijk (allegdely the club approached him without permission and they were severly reprimanded) I would be very surprised if Liverpool were in talks with Werner and Liverpool certainly would not be leaking stories to the press to suggest they were.

That would make me suspect that all the press talk would be coming from the Werner side. Perhaps he was being sincere - perhaps he wasn't. If he waa being sincere, surely him saying for months he wants to come and then not coming says more about him than it does about Liverpool? I don't know the facts any more than anyone else does - but using press stories as evidence doesn't sit right for me.