You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

5 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Yet still things like this just get ignored when it comes to voting. Arse wipes go and vote to fuck everyone over just to get rid of Ahmed and his family from the corner shop they have owned for 50 years because Dave in the next street got laid off a few weeks back and can't feed his dog. "Get em out!" 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Funkasy said:

Here in the faroe islanda about 8% of the population has been tested, the government started the shut down the same time as denmark did  and we are seeing huge improvement now, it has done wonders the huge scale of testing and fast test results to get people into quarantine right away and stopping the spread. 

The pilot whales and dolphins must be made up. 

Not a huge politics guy, but it's telling that the US and the UK, two scientific powers and nations you'd look towards for leadership during this situation, have and are massively dropping the ball. Says a lot about the respective governments. They've treated this like a 15 year old "iT's JuSt ThE fLu" kid would have if that was who was in charge. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Not a huge politics guy, but it's telling that the US and the UK, two scientific powers and nations you'd look towards for leadership during this situation, have and are massively dropping the ball. Says a lot about the respective governments. They've treated this like a 15 year old "iT's JuSt ThE fLu" kid would have if that was who was in charge. 

tenor.gif

I think it's deliberate tactics, certainly in the case of the UK.  I don't think even Johnson and his cronies are so stupid or arrogant to have seen what's gone on overseas and thought it couldn't happen here.  They want large numbers dead.  They want a cull of the "weak" and the vulnerable. 

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I think our government have behaved that way deliberately.  They are cherry picking the "scientific advice" from Imperial College London to suit their own aims.  I think there should be a public inquiry into this aspect of the response and a separate public inquiry into the failings of the government to provide adequate PPE etc for the NHS.  

Beaten to it by Moo, couldn't agree more.

49 minutes ago, Moo said:

I think it's deliberate tactics, certainly in the case of the UK.  I don't think even Johnson and his cronies are so stupid or arrogant to have seen what's gone on overseas and thought it couldn't happen here.  They want large numbers dead.  They want a cull of the "weak" and the vulnerable. 

I'm usually very quick to join an anti-Tory stance , but surely the vast majority of those dead would be archetypal Tory voters.

5 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I'm usually very quick to join an anti-Tory stance , but surely the vast majority of those dead would be archetypal Tory voters.

Maybe.  But with their new voter base thanks to Brexit, gerrymandering and the possible loss of Scotland in the near future they've rarely been in a stronger position. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, elvis said:

God only knows what the figures would be without it 

It wasn't as if a lockdown of the entire population was the only tactic available at the time. But, as is often said when we find ourselves in a self-inflicted mess; we are where we are.

Let's see how Spain fares after next week, I guess.. I'd hope otherwise, but I doubt their numbers will even begin to approach flat-lining at best. 

3 minutes ago, Moo said:

Maybe.  But with their new voter base thanks to Brexit, gerrymandering and the possible loss of Scotland in the near future they've rarely been in a stronger position. 

I take your point, Moo,  but paying out shitloads to kill off their own supporters in the main seems odd.

53 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

To be fair, the UK barely has lockdown and even if it did the results of which wouldn't be seen yet. That's considerably more worrying. 

Agreed. And without meaning to trivialise the current pandemic, what measures would we be witnessing were this a more virulent and lethal virus? I daren't even speculate. 

It seems to me the nations who've suffered the least in this (Japan, South Korea) are amongst the most surveilled in the world. Police states in all but name: Imagine the media outcry here if your movements were traced back to known carriers of the virus and the Police effectively put you under house arrest? Because that's what was needed from the outset. That and ring-fencing the most vulnerable. 

22 minutes ago, TK421 said:

They openly talked about herd immunity.  I wouldn't put anything past them. 

Herd immunity is a perfectly practical measure - if done correctly ensuring the most vulnerable 5% are ring-fenced. I may be missing something here - but is the perception that the government's version of herd immunity just to let the virus rip through the populace with little or no safeguards in place? 

4 minutes ago, cochyn said:

Herd immunity is a perfectly practical measure - if done correctly ensuring the most vulnerable 5% are ring-fenced. I may be missing something here - but is the perception that the government's version of herd immunity just t o let the virus rip through the populace with little or no safeguards in place? 

Well that's what BJ was talking about to Philip Schofield and Holly Willoughby. He didn't mention any ring-fencing.  

1 minute ago, TK421 said:

Well that's what BJ was talking about to Philip Schofield and Holly Willoughby. He didn't mention any ring-fencing.  

Probably worried that mentioning the (necessary) ring-fencing of vulnerable people would have harmed his 'popularity'. The spineless meff.