You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

General Election 2019

Bjornebye

Who are you voting for?   

142 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you voting for?

20 minutes ago, Mudface said:

I went to that Best For Britain site at https://www.getvoting.org put in my postcode, and got this back-

image.png

along with-

image.png

Which is clearly nonsense. The Tory MP at the moment is anything put a remain MP, he's consistently voted with the government on everything Brexit-related. I wouldn't have said the Scottish Tories were for remain either. Worst of all, the constituency is a Tory/ SNP marginal, with Labour in 3rd. The Lib Dems get barely 3%, what the fuck's the point of voting for them? This site's really dangerous if people are relying on it to cast their vote.

To add to that, I put my old postcode for the Haltemprice and Howden consistency in. It recommended I voted Lib Dem- these were the results at the last election-

General election 2017: Haltemprice and Howden[10][11]
Party Candidate Votes % ±
  Conservative David Davis 31,355 61.0 +6.8
  Labour Hollie Devanney 15,950 31.0 +10.0
  Liberal Democrat David Nolan 2,482 4.8 -1.4
  Yorkshire Party Diana Wallis 942 1.8 +0.8
  Green Angela Needham 711 1.4 -2.3
Majority 15,405 30.0 -3.2
Turnout 51,440 72.4 +3.9
  Conservative hold Swing

How would voting Lib Dem there help in any way?

8 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Is the obsession with Lib Dems confined to this site only, or is this a wider phenomenon among Labour voters?

Are they really perceived as that dangerous to Labour?

To be fair, the truth is the other way around. You can’t stop Lib Dems politicians and voters from talking about Jeremy Corbyn. Compare Corbyn’s and Swinson’s twitter timelines if you don’t believe me.

2 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

I'm not sure they know what they want themselves mate, well apart from bungs. The Tories paid them to jump into bed then threw them under a bus. They have said they are opposing the latest deal vehemently yet they are the only main party in NI that supports Brexit, they have left themselves with nowhere to go. 

I suppose they could still campaign for a no deal Brexit rather than remain or BJ deal. Puts them in league with Nigel F Brexit party thinking . 

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, clockspeed said:

I suppose they could still campaign for a no deal Brexit rather than remain or BJ deal. Puts them in league with Nigel F Brexit party thinking . 

I can't see that being popular with those voters in the marginal seats. Don't be surprised to see them lose at least 2 seats. 

Full speech below in the link, nice mention of the super yacht. 

The future is ours to make, together” – Corbyn’s campaign launch speech

https://labourlist.org/2019/10/the-future-is-ours-to-make-together-corbyns-campaign-launch-speech/?amp&__twitter_impression=true

And the big question of this election is: whose side are you on? Are you on the side of the tax dodgers, who are taking us all for a ride? People who think it’s OK to rip people off and hide their money in tax havens so they can have a new super yacht.

Or are you on the side of the children with special educational needs who aren’t getting the support they deserve because of Tory and Lib Dem government cuts?

Whose side are you on? The dodgy landlords like the Duke of Westminster, Britain’s youngest billionaire, who tried to evict whole blocks of families to make way for luxury apartments? Or the millions of tenants in Britain who struggle to pay their rent each month?

Whose side are you on? The bad bosses like Mike Ashley, the billionaire who won’t pay his staff properly and is running Newcastle United into the ground? Or his exploited workforce like the woman who was reportedly forced to give birth in a warehouse toilet because she was terrified of missing her shift?

Whose side are you on? The big polluters like Jim Ratcliffe, Britain’s richest man, who makes his money by polluting the environment? Or the children growing up in our cities with reduced lung capacity because of choking pollution?

Whose side are you on? The greedy bankers like Crispin Odey, who makes millions betting against our country and has donated huge sums to Johnson and the Conservative Party? Or are you on the side of working people who create the wealth that’s then squirreled away in tax havens?

And whose side are you on? The billionaire media barons like Rupert Murdoch, whose empire pumps out propaganda to support a rigged system. Or the overwhelming majority who want to live in a decent, fair, diverse and prosperous society?

You know whose side Labour’s on – a Labour government will be on your side. Together, we can pull down a corrupt system and build a fairer country that cares for all. 

And we have something that the Rupert Murdochs, the Mike Ashleys, and the Boris Johnsons don’t have.

We have people. Hundreds of thousands of people in every part of our country who will make this the biggest people-powered campaign in history.

18 minutes ago, Mudface said:

To add to that, I put my old postcode for the Haltemprice and Howden consistency in. It recommended I voted Lib Dem- these were the results at the last election-

General election 2017: Haltemprice and Howden[10][11]
Party Candidate Votes % ±
  Conservative David Davis 31,355 61.0 +6.8
  Labour Hollie Devanney 15,950 31.0 +10.0
  Liberal Democrat David Nolan 2,482 4.8 -1.4
  Yorkshire Party Diana Wallis 942 1.8 +0.8
  Green Angela Needham 711 1.4 -2.3
Majority 15,405 30.0 -3.2
Turnout 51,440 72.4 +3.9
  Conservative hold Swing

How would voting Lib Dem there help in any way?

The mistake that you, and many others, seem to be making, is that you are looking at the 2017 and 2015 results, and nothing else. Elections in which the Lib Dems hit historical lows that they have now recovered from.

Look at what happened in Haltemprice and Howden in 2010, or the 2019 European election. Those are better indicators than the outliers of 2015 and 2017.

Surely even the most biased individual can see that using elections in which the Lib Dems polled 7% as a baseline is a gross error when they are polling nearer 20%.

Guest Pistonbroke

Recovered from...hahahahaha. They are only gaining votes due to Brexit, they'll be back to being irrelevant soon enough. Especially if they carry on their current status of being a shelter for ex Tories. 

33 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Is the obsession with Lib Dems confined to this site only, or is this a wider phenomenon among Labour voters?

Are they really perceived as that dangerous to Labour?

It's the whole of the Labour Party. They spend more time attacking the Lib Dems than attacking the Tories. In a way it's quite flattering, but I don't think it helps progressive politics much.

Recovered from...hahahahaha. They are only gaining votes due to Brexit, they'll be back to being irrelevant soon enough. Especially if they carry on their current status of being a shelter for ex Tories. 

I completely agree that we are only gaining votes because voters prefer our policies to those of Labour. Long may it continue.

2 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

It's the whole of the Labour Party. They spend more time attacking the Lib Dems than attacking the Tories. In a way it's quite flattering, but I don't think it helps progressive politics much.

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I completely agree that we are only gaining votes because voters prefer our policies to those of Labour. Long may it continue.

If it wasn't for Brexit the Libs wouldn't even be in the conversation for this GE unless they were cosying up to the Tories. Again. 

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

You're deluding yourself. I get you are Lib Dem through and through, but you don't half stretch the truth at times when discussing politics. 

Attacks on the Lib Dems really stepped up after this poll was released:

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/jeremy-corbyn-with-labour-voters-1-6261466

Labour voters prefer Jo Swinson to Jeremy Corbyn, poll finds

Jonathon Read
PUBLISHED: 10:57 10 September 2019 | UPDATED: 11:15 10 September 2019

A new opinion poll suggests that Labour voters prefer the Lib Dem leader Jo Swinson to Labour's Jeremy Corbyn.

The poll, carried out by Opinium, looked at net approval ratings for the main party leaders.

It found that with Labour voters in the 2017 general election more back Jo Swinson over Jeremy Corbyn.

According to the figures Boris Johnson has an approval rating of -46, Nigel Farage has an approval rating -38 and Jeremy Corbyn has a rating of -6.

Jo Swinson, on the otherhand, had a rating of +4.

I think it's a strategic error which risks handing a majority to Boris Johnson, but what do I know.

You're deluding yourself. I get you are Lib Dem through and through, but you don't half stretch the truth at times when discussing politics. 

Just now, viRdjil said:

But but.... its the truth? Its always the truth? 

it isn't.