You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Are you normal?

Bjornebye

It depends on what 'normal' means to you. 

I've always thought that normal is used to describe individual behaviour that conforms to the most common behaviour in society. That also applies to height, weight etc. Mostly a scientific way of describing things that doesn't include any prejudices or hate. 

I might consider my behaviour as not being normal (abnormal) when I look around at my close circle of friends and family, however it might actually be quite normal. Isn't it just teenagers that want to be different after spending their lives obeying their parents' commands, part of growing up. Are individualists just people stuck in their teenage years?

I'd like to think that I am not normal, but I probably am. Am I a total fuckwit in shops that has absolutely no awareness, no. Am I a total fuckwit that shouldn't be on the road driving, no. Would I screw over friends or family, or strangers for that matter, no. Am I a selfish piece of shit that will use people for my own ends and not care, no. Do I consider those with a different opinion than myself as beneath me, no. 

I guess I am not that normal after all. 

If the alternative to being normal is being abnormal then in all honesty I do not have a clue. But I certainly get a few odd looks when I walk around in just my underwear. 

From the age of about five I was into military magazines and had a favourite jet (MiG 29). I was also obsessed with space and knew probably far more about it than was normal. 

Also, and this is a bugbear of mine, But I was into 'nerd' culture all my life, like when it used to get you chased through the streets (I could give you a reasoned estimate of how many ships were in Starfleet based on dialogue from multiple Star Trek series and films). 

Rather than like now where legions of wankers turn up to conventions dressed like Jon fucking snow but up until a few years ago were probably watching Big Brother. 

These days I can small talk with the best of them and probably come across as pretty sociable, but tend to swerve social situations wherever possible that doesn't involve close friends I've known for a long long time. If I don't like someone I also find it impossible to hide, which I'm certain has made me come across weird/cunty on more than a few occasions. 

I also have a spookily good memory. Can remember films and TV line for line, plus throwaway facts about people they may have mentioned in passing 20 years ago.

Reading all this back im probably a savant like Roy Cropper.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Elite said:

Most people are normal, even the ones that don't think they are. Well apart from a few, you know who you are.

True that. In fact people who claim not to be normal piss me off.

"Ooh it's my OCD is playing up I just HAVE to put my pen next to my pencil".

Yeah sounds quite similar to OCD that, where people get tempted to kill themselves because they spent two hours checking the fridge door was closed. Then went home at lunchtime to check again.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

True that. In fact people who claim not to be normal piss me off.

"Ooh it's my OCD is playing up I just HAVE to put my pen next to my pencil".

Yeah sounds quite similar to OCD that, where people get tempted to kill themselves because they spent two hours checking the fridge door was closed. Then went home at lunchtime to check again.

Spot on. When the fuck did it become cool for people to pretend they have mental health conditions such as OCD. Ridiculous.