You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Lesser-known, older or unappreciated kids movies

9 hours ago, Stouffer said:

Been watching the Police Academy films with my eldest (11), he loves them.

I considered watching the first police academy with my girl who’s 8 now, but thought it’d probably be a little bit too old for her - it’s been years since I’ve watched it though so couldn’t really remember - 11 maybe sounds a bit more suitable.

we watched the Mask last week. Superb. Really, really good stuff.

watched Mrs Doubtfire and Sister Act in recent weeks too. Both good. 

41 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

I considered watching the first police academy with my girl who’s 8 now, but thought it’d probably be a little bit too old for her - it’s been years since I’ve watched it though so couldn’t really remember - 11 maybe sounds a bit more suitable.

There's quite a few tits oot moments in the first 3 films.

On 19/05/2019 at 12:38, Pidge said:

They are all great, not just kids films though so might need some care depending on the kid.  Some might be a bit too much and others might be too slow.  Ponyo and Kiki are probably the ones best suited for younger kids, Totoro as well, although it deals with some serious themes.  Porco Rosso and Castle of Cagliostro are top caper type films and Mononoke, Howl's Moving Castle (the book, by Dianne Wynne Jones might be as good a place to start), Laputa and Nausicaa are all epic fantasy, all genius.

Some of the others are more human stories, mainly coming of age type films.  Whisper of the Heart and Marnie was there are the two standouts for me.

On 19/05/2019 at 19:47, Paul said:

My son first watched Spirited Away when he was about three and then we basically worked through them all. My daughter who’s three years younger than him watched them all too from the word go. 

Watched Spirited Away on the recommendations this morning with my daughter who is 3. Personally I thought it was a little too dark, intense and scary for her but she was absolutely absorbed in it to be fair and doesn't seem too upset by it now.

And it was a great film, completely different from anything I've seen. A bit nervous about if and when to show her other Studio Ghibli films, might try Totoro based on the above. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...
On 18/05/2019 at 07:43, Karl_b said:

My Neighbour Totoro.

Hand-drawn, top quality animation from Japan's Studio Ghibli. It's available as a dubbed version if you don't want to read the sub-titles. It's sensational and a gateway to a whole host of wonderful films by them. Ignore everyone else's suggestions, watch this. I bought it for my 4 year old niece at Christmas and she's obsessed with it.

On 19/05/2019 at 07:39, Paul said:

Pretty much every single Studio Ghibli film. They are almost universally great. Favourites in our house were/are (we all still love them now):

Spirited Away

Howl’s Moving Castle

Princess Mononoke

My Neighbour Totoro

Kiki’s Delivery Service

In fact all of them. They are all boss. Maybe save Grave of the Fireflies until your kids are older though. It’s pretty fucking harrowing. 

On 14/02/2021 at 10:37, Remmie said:

Watched Spirited Away on the recommendations this morning with my daughter who is 3. Personally I thought it was a little too dark, intense and scary for her but she was absolutely absorbed in it to be fair and doesn't seem too upset by it now.

And it was a great film, completely different from anything I've seen. A bit nervous about if and when to show her other Studio Ghibli films, might try Totoro based on the above. 

Just finished Spirited Away now. It was OK, I guess, although somewhat bizarre. The Japanese are on a different wavelength. The Netflix blurb says it won an Oscar...

The kid liked it anyway. My Neighbour Totoro is next up on the list. 

43 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Zathura is really good (2005 Jon Favreau) - it's a loose sequel to Jumanji (the Robin Williams version - not the one with The Rock although that also is worth a watch as Karen Gillan looks amazing).

Zathura is good, watched it a few times with the kids when they were a bit younger, as is The Spiderwyck Chronicles.

When my daughter was young she loved the Spy Kids films. Not sure how they have aged but try beating this cast over a kids trilogy.

Antonio Banderas

Carla Gugino

Alan Cumming

Danny Trejo

Robert Patrick

Teri Hatcher

Cheech Marin

Steve Buscemi

Ricardo Montalban

Bill Paxton

Taylor Momsen

Bill Paxton

Sly Stallone

Salma Hayek

George Clooney

Selena Gomez

Elijah Wood

On 16/05/2021 at 08:20, sir roger said:

When my daughter was young she loved the Spy Kids films. Not sure how they have aged but try beating this cast over a kids trilogy.

Antonio Banderas

Carla Gugino

Alan Cumming

Danny Trejo

Robert Patrick

Teri Hatcher

Cheech Marin

Steve Buscemi

Ricardo Montalban

Bill Paxton

Taylor Momsen

Bill Paxton

Sly Stallone

Salma Hayek

George Clooney

Selena Gomez

Elijah Wood

Bill Paxton must have been busy

8 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

And doesn't the Police Commissioner get a blow job from one of the prozzies while giving a speech at a lectern?

Aye, not really a kids film at all when you think about it.

1 minute ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Bluey, on Disney+ and I-player l.

Just edges out Hey Duggee for top kids cartoon for the under 7’s. 

My 2 1/2 year old daughter loves Bad Batch. 

My 1 year old Grandaughter loves the theme music to Hey Duggy and also Yakka Dee.

• Upvote 1