You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is it time to cut the Premier League down to 18?

an tha

The 'best league in the world' is as uncompetitive as it has ever been and for me I think it may be time to trim it down to 18 clubs.

Huddersfield have won 2 this season.

Fulham 3 before today.

The top 5/6 are hoovering up more points than ever - even us who have been a bit ropey over the years against the dross have started beating them routinely.

It will also help with there being a few less games to contend with, might breath some life into the cups as maybe a bit less resting of players might be seen....but most of all for me it might just make league a bit more competitive overall.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

With the way league is now full of players from all over world and there being international tournaments seemingly every summer that affect teams - copa america, afcon on top of obvious euros and world cup - a shortened season would at least give players a rest in advance of these things/maybe they could start these things a bit earlier so there is not so much impact on clubs pre seasons.

But knowing clubs and international associations i have no doubt they'll just play more money spinning bullshit friendlies anyway with any spare time.

I don’t want the season shortened, I’m not arsed if it gives the players time off after international tournaments. It’s upto the clubs as to how they deal with it. Just because Fulham and Hudds are extremely shit this season isn’t enough of an excuse. If it happened every season then I’d maybe change my opinion. But as far as I can see, this season is one off to have 2 such poor teams in It. 

Without wanting to be dramatic - the most competative league should never or ever change its number, what should change, is the at a whim control the television companies have, in the say on what dates and days games are played. Reduce their numbers of live game and if not, ensure they plan a season, not an every 2-3 months season.

Competition comes from being competative - shitehawks kill that, just look at Newcastle.

3 hours ago, Elite said:

I think it's fine as it is personally. Even if you have 18 teams, you'll eventually get the same situation.

Yes I feel the same. You'll still end up with the top teams all taking points and just a couple less games a season. I wonder if there were ever a time when the top League had 24 teams? If so, reducing to 20 was likely to solve the same problem.

Fucking leave it alone! That's been a major problem ever since the premier league started, change after change because of an obsession with money. It was a great league when there were 22, the money spent was more even and anybody could give anybody a tough time.

If you're going to make changes levelling out the money across the clubs is the way to go, and as mentioned above stop being at the whim of the tv companies.

• Upvote 1

Far too many European games getting played and too many international breaks for meaningless friendlies.

The Qatar world Cup is going to seriously fuck up the season. Some clubs are going to have players coming home after the group stages and others playing through to the final. Add heat stress to the usual spate of injuries and it will be a season of two halves.

I dont think its a good idea to cut the leage shorter because there are financialy doped teams and other champions league money teams that are making the gap bigger. The lower end teams have one hell of a struggle to compete, but it is possible sometimes as leicester have proven and tottenham are also doing a damn fine job using relative small money compared to others. 

• Upvote 1

I think these things are cyclical, even now there are quite a few more teams that'd have me worried than there were at the start of the season.  The TV money has led a lot of clubs to spend more, but it'll still take time for the players to bed in and get to know each other.  Next season will be very different again.