You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

GF music review club

Carvalho Diablo

On 11/03/2023 at 20:27, Carvalho Diablo said:

Ive had my review of The Tubes album written for a couple of weeks, just haven't got round to typing it up and posting it.

Will endeavour to do so next week.

You actually hand write the review then type it up? Impressed!

Just take a photo of the written page and upload it!

Apologies for the tardiness guys.

Review: The Tubes - The Tubes

Another I've never heard of. Let's go...

Track 1, Up From The Deep, opens with some Latino dialogue before going all 70's, replete with sitar and steel drums.

The strings beneath are quite dark and provide a nice contrast before it goes all Mr Bungle on us. Strange time signatures and sound effects.

Strong opener. Beguiling.

Haloes is instantly more upbeat, but it's certainly cut from the same cloth.

Digging the solid bass and drums, the 70s running through this in a big big way.

Great playing.

Space Baby is slower, like the keys in the back, the singer has a twang to his voice which puts me in mind of Phil Lynott.

Tasteful solo over a nice key change, hours all a bit Mr Bungle again. I could very easily see how the Bungle boys would take inspiration from The Tubes.

Malaguena Salerosa has castinets. Not sure at all what to make of this, but coming from the days of analogue recording, before all the Pro-Tools and plug in cut and pasting, the tightness of the musicians is really impressive.

Great drumming on this track.

Mondo Bondage - loving the bass and keys here, they give the song a big bottom end boot.

Not fussed on the track itself though.

What Do You Want From Life? has some great funky guitars and a big farty breakdown and solo section, with more killer drumming.

Boy Crazy has Bowie vibes.

White Punks On Dope - last song with a groovy ass riff, again some nice keys and more great playing all round.

Finishing the record on a high.

So what did I think? In many ways The Tubes is a very Howie pick; quirky, groovy, great playing, unashamedly of it's time.

Much to admire here and you can hear the influence that The Tubes have undoubtedly had on other bands.

Bottom line for me though is I much preferred the playing and the production to the songs themselves. I reckon a 6.5/10 did about right.

Thanks for the pick Mister Llama.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...