You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Virgil Van Dijk

Paco

12 hours ago, The wanderer said:

I cannot think of a better Liverpool  centre back . Him and Hansen together would be a dream pairing IMO.

I’m a massive fan of Hansen, but he comes second behind Van Dijk on the list of our best CBs ever.

Van Dijk was probably the best player in the world a few years ago, and is probably still the best CB. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

I’m a massive fan of Hansen, but he comes second behind Van Dijk on the list of our best CBs ever.

Van Dijk was probably the best player in the world a few years ago, and is probably still the best CB. 

Definitely. I still think between the start of his first full season and the injury, he might be the best player I've ever seen play for the club, regardless of position.

I thought he was done last season - the drop off seemed too steep, and probably terminal. But he's been brilliant this season, 90% of the player he was pre-Pickford - which makes him the best defender in the world again.

He has answered his "critics" over the being captain and making "those" comments about his contract in the right way.

His goal against luton was pure desire, his performance in the final was immense but for me how he made it about the kids was something else. He knows how good he is and only needs 1 Manx approval 

7 hours ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Agreed that’s why I said imagine them together. I haven’t seen a better cb in red than Virgil.

What’s the reason we’ve let our captain get down to the last 18 months?

Is it not having a DOF?

Is it him being 32?

What’s going on?

You have one of the top 3 Liverpool Cb’s ever, you keep him as long as he can play.

And when stops playing, you use that big Dutch brain of his to teach Konate and Quansah.

The pass he made to Salah in the 76th minute tonight was unreal. Not sure any other player could make the ball travel that long, at that speed and arrive inch perfect on target. Didnt watch it again to check, but he probably made it look easy as well.

13 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

The pass he made to Salah in the 76th minute tonight was unreal. Not sure any other player could make the ball travel that long, at that speed and arrive inch perfect on target. Didnt watch it again to check, but he probably made it look easy as well.

Even if he didn't make it look easy, he would have looked cool. 

On 03/03/2024 at 05:23, Kevin D said:

What’s the reason we’ve let our captain get down to the last 18 months?

Is it not having a DOF?

Is it him being 32?

What’s going on?

You have one of the top 3 Liverpool Cb’s ever, you keep him as long as he can play.

And when stops playing, you use that big Dutch brain of his to teach Konate and Quansah.

For me he’s undoubtedly the greatest Liverpool CB that I’ve ever seen and one of the greatest ever. He’s phenomenal and needs sorting out asap.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I'm normally one to not stress over contract stuff, but I hope Virgil is at the top of the list when sorting out our players with new deals. He's the only one that's still irreplaceable (and I like/love all of Gomez, Konate and Quansah). The difference in communication and organisation was palpable when he entered the pitch tonight, and the Sparta players that had seemed lively up to then just seemed to give up when he entered the pitch. 

I can't really see him wanting to leave us yet, unless he feels "disrespected" when we start sorting out the contract stuff. He's pretty much in the ideal situation when it comes to status amongst the players, club and supporters. I don't really get the vibe that he's seeking new adventures either. I think it will come down to money (as it nearly always does), and that he's back to being the top earner (or close to it) for him to feel that he's the main man at the club (which he will be now that Klopp leaves) until Alonso (hopefully) comes in.

Seems a bit childish perhaps, but never underestimate how much sportsmen compare themselves to their peers in terms of earnings/deals they get at their clubs. I think there's a general understanding in the football community that the wages at City and PSG are unattainable for the other clubs, but they want to be top of the tree internally at least.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, lebron said:

Yeah, I'm normally one to not stress over contract stuff, but I hope Virgil is at the top of the list when sorting out our players with new deals. He's the only one that's still irreplaceable (and I like/love all of Gomez, Konate and Quansah). The difference in communication and organisation was palpable when he entered the pitch tonight, and the Sparta players that had seemed lively up to then just seemed to give up when he entered the pitch. 

I can't really see him wanting to leave us yet, unless he feels "disrespected" when we start sorting out the contract stuff. He's pretty much in the ideal situation when it comes to status amongst the players, club and supporters. I don't really get the vibe that he's seeking new adventures either. I think it will come down to money (as it nearly always does), and that he's back to being the top earner (or close to it) for him to feel that he's the main man at the club (which he will be now that Klopp leaves) until Alonso (hopefully) comes in.

Seems a bit childish perhaps, but never underestimate how much sportsmen compare themselves to their peers in terms of earnings/deals they get at their clubs. I think there's a general understanding in the football community that the wages at City and PSG are unattainable for the other clubs, but they want to be top of the tree internally at least.

I'm the opposite on contracts, I do stress about them. But I'm relaxed about Virg, I think he loves it here and if we want him, he stays. Whatever is stopping us sorting a new contract (my guess is the manager), but we need to find a way past it and get him to pen a new deal. I can't believe any manager we bring in wouldn't want him. 

I am far more worried from a contract situation about Trent. 

I don’t think Haaland is anywhere near as good as people are trying to build him up to be. Virgil is the only one I know of though that really exposes him as a one-trick pony.

I had my doubts if Virgil would ever reach the heights he did prior to his injury, as nearly no-one comes back at more than 90 pct from that sort of. trauma. He looked way off it initially, neither looking comfortable physically nor mentally. Even at 90 pct he would still be the clear best defender in the world, but it actually seems he’s close to 100 pct now. It’s a magnificent watch, and I’d gladly make him the club’s biggest earner tomorrow if it meant he would stay with us for the next 5 years. He’s just ridiculously good.

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, Tj hooker said:

100% Back to his imperious best , no better defender in the league possibly the world 

He’ll never be back to that.

He was the best player in the world, while Messi and Ronaldo were banging them in.

He was class today, as he has been this season, though.

It’s just impossible to be as good as he was before the injury, I’d never seen anything like it for a few years.

• Upvote 3

The Haaland thing reminded me of when he had two Spurs players running at him back in the day. He handled it so well today, not fully committing, the push at the end ensuring Haaland just chipped the ball into Kelleher's hands. 

8 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

The Haaland thing reminded me of when he had two Spurs players running at him back in the day. He handled it so well today, not fully committing, the push at the end ensuring Haaland just chipped the ball into Kelleher's hands. 

3.7m views:

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, lebron said:

I don’t think Haaland is anywhere near as good as people are trying to build him up to be. Virgil is the only one I know of though that really exposes him as a one-trick pony.

I had my doubts if Virgil would ever reach the heights he did prior to his injury, as nearly no-one comes back at more than 90 pct from that sort of. trauma. He looked way off it initially, neither looking comfortable physically nor mentally. Even at 90 pct he would still be the clear best defender in the world, but it actually seems he’s close to 100 pct now. It’s a magnificent watch, and I’d gladly make him the club’s biggest earner tomorrow if it meant he would stay with us for the next 5 years. He’s just ridiculously good.

Tough, tough crowd.