You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Virgil Van Dijk

Paco

Guest Pistonbroke

Southampton just getting arsey. Fuck the cunts, they just want a bidding war and are hoping other clubs will go up against us. We should make an official approach now and offer 30 million. 

It seems an obvious situation. Southampton wanted a three way bidding war and probably expected the fee to climb above £60M. Now that Van Dijk has said he wants to come to us there will be no bidding war, and if the previously mooted fee of £44M + £8M add ons, heavily weighted to winning the title, is true, then they will feel that's short by about £10M or so of what they expected.

I suspect the whole thing is just Southampton trying to get us to go a little higher to make the complaint go away. Maybe we will and maybe we won't. It's the murky old world of football, but I suspect it will be something like £47M + £8M add ons that will see a deal struck. They will save face and tell their fans the deal was a world record for a defender, close to the £60M they wanted; while we will save face to our own fans because the manager will have been backed in getting the player he wants.

It's all posturing.

Negotiation 101 methinks.

• Upvote 1

Van Dijk? I think we should all be excited about the prospect of getting Big Dick.

Last year we were teased with Matip, but now we could get the real thing.

Just think how great it would be to have Big Dick going in hard, then sliding out of our rear end - dribbling down and getting in the faces of the other team.

Come on Big Dick, I say!

To answer the thread question:

Not really. The quoted £60m is excessive. But if it serves as a statement of intent, and we get our primary targets this window (as is looking more likely than previous summers) then I'll be happy about that aspect of it.

Wrong thread.

• Upvote 1