You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Virgil Van Dijk

Paco

8 hours ago, Rotpeter said:

Some Dr. bod on youtube worked out where he was in the standard recovery process from his social media videos and reckons he'll be back in training late April early may.

Pinch of salt obvs.

Glad to know the doctor is putting their medical degree to good use.

This season would have definitely shaped out differently if Dave issued the fanzine like in the good old time. No fanzine, and everything went wrong : horrible kits, Villa away, injuries, more injuries, goal drought, etc 

We need the fanzine... and Virgil.... And Hendo. 

• Upvote 1

Gomez is no surprise. I doubt he would be in the thoughts of Southgate now anyway as England have lots of options this summer. Van Dijk is a weird one though, because Klopp keeps ruling it out, yet the club seem to be pushing this idea that he's not too far away? I was sort of hopeful that he might be back for the Champions league semi finals if we get that far, but I suppose its not exactly an ideal game to make your comeback!

I wonder if we will not play him this season just to stop him going to the Euros or make it more difficult for the Netherlands to pick him? 

8 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

Gomez is no surprise. I doubt he would be in the thoughts of Southgate now anyway as England have lots of options this summer. Van Dijk is a weird one though, because Klopp keeps ruling it out, yet the club seem to be pushing this idea that he's not too far away? I was sort of hopeful that he might be back for the Champions league semi finals if we get that far, but I suppose its not exactly an ideal game to make your comeback!

I wonder if we will not play him this season just to stop him going to the Euros or make it more difficult for the Netherlands to pick him? 

Haven't the Netherlands said they expect him to be fit? 

46 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

They can fuck off. Clubs pay their wages,not national teams.

That's not the reality of the situation though is it? Doesn't matter who pays the wage. The national association gets the call and to be fair, the player wants it. I think I'm right in thinking vvd has never played in a tournament? He will be desperate to take part. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

That's not the reality of the situation though is it? Doesn't matter who pays the wage. The national association gets the call and to be fair, the player wants it. I think I'm right in thinking vvd has never played in a tournament? He will be desperate to take part. 

If he's fit he'll play imo

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Nations League man, the newest thing.

49 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

I dont see how the Dutch FA think they can call up a player for international 'duty' when the player is still in or will still be in recouperation, especially if he hasnt played any games for his club in the meantime.

Because the rules say it's down to their doctors. Cry like a baby all you like, but it's how it goes. If LFC don't want the lad to play, they should sit down with him and make a case for he should save himself for the WC the following year. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

Because the rules say it's down to their doctors. Cry like a baby all you like, but it's how it goes. If LFC don't want the lad to play, they should sit down with him and make a case for he should save himself for the WC the following year. 

Its not as black and white as that. If we say he's not going then he's not going. This isn't Naby Keita going with a hamstring injury to Guinea, this is a £100m asset that the Dutch FA won't be able to insure if we say he's not fit. They won't risk bankruptcy on a half fit player.

It won't come to this, its in everyone's interest to play him if he's fit and no ones to rush him if he isn't.