You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Cricket Thread

A_S

Guest Pistonbroke
Just now, Jairzinho said:

Ha, yeah. I like him actually. 

Certainly got it mentally.

He's probably cemented his place on the winter Tours to NZ and SA. Denly not so much although I wouldn't be surprised to see him included. Hopefully Sibley, Pope and Foakes get a chance. Hopefully sam Curran does well in this test, he's certainly got all the qualities to become a very good all rounder at Test level. 

56 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

He's probably cemented his place on the winter Tours to NZ and SA. Denly not so much although I wouldn't be surprised to see him included. Hopefully Sibley, Pope and Foakes get a chance. Hopefully sam Curran does well in this test, he's certainly got all the qualities to become a very good all rounder at Test level. 

Definitely agree with that list: maybe Zak Crawley as well, possibly instead of Denly. Even though he's an opener, he could be an answer to the problem number 3 role. Ben Duckett seems too inconsistent.

Love to see Ollie Robinson in the squad as well.

10 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Nope, never has been. It's bizarre that he was brought into the squad in the first place, even more so that he's kept his place.

And yet if Denly today had the luck Root has had up to now and gone on and scored a 100 he'd be on the plane to SA even though he definitely isn't good enough....

Agree with what's been said about Burns I wasn't keen on him even after the streaky ton in the first test but he's knuckled down managed to handle the short pitched stuff too and is one of the few successes of the series  

Denly just has stop-gap written all over him. Decent enough player with a good mentality but he's just a bit meh - sooner or later you eventually have to start converting starts into 50s and 50s into 100s and he's just not done that often enough at all. Burns I like. He's been up against a really good attack in this series with multiple opening partners (none of whom have been good enough) and still managed to score 370 runs at 41.

All moot though as behind them is a middle order full of no7's. We lose openers cheaply to expose an attacking middle order to tons of pressure and a still-new ball. Desperately needs a rethink.

Guest Pistonbroke

Talk about throwing wickets away, as Jairz said, we should have been 300 for 3-4 on this track after today. Bowling conditions have improved a bit, but Marsh getting 4 wickets!