You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2017 Transfer Thread

Anubis

I thought Brandt plays wide left? Well everytime I've seen him play he's started out there, I know he's right footed and I'm not saying I've watched him every week so he could have possibly played more on the right but every time I've seen him he's been wide left and looks immense at dribbling. I think if we sign him he's here as an alternative to Coutinho for that position or for when Coutinho is moved more central or deeper, I can see him playing a bit deeper next season quite a lot against the shit we can't break down.

If we want squad players there's this huge multimillion pound investment we have called "the academy". We need first team players and first team players only for our - wait for it - first team.

I guess the question is though, how many players are the "first team"?

You probably want 1 goalie, 3 centre backs, 3 full backs, 4 central midfielders, 4 wide players and 2 centre forwards

That's 17 first team players, then save the rest for academy players (inc. young punts like Gomez).

Keep hearing the Lacazette link second-hand but haven't seen it in an article myself and it never quite rings true as a move Klopp would make to me.

Also been wondering how we convince Brandt to come while Mane obviously has that slot in the first team nailed down and Coutinho likewise on the left.

From all this I make the blind leap that Klopp's hope is to somehow convince Brandt to sign for us so he can play Mane nominally through the centre, but interchanging at will with his new Teutonic colleague and Coutinho.

You are overthninking, quality players always play wherever, I do not see a problem in that.

2 or 3 first team players plus a couple of young squaddies for me. One top notch central midfielder plus one centre back.

Then a pacy left footer who can play wide and up top and a left back. Should be enough to challenge on most fronts. Wouldn't argue with anyone who wants a keeper though (except Ardja).

All about opinions of course but that isn't enough for me - just look at the teams we put out in our disgraceful fa cup campaign, look at our bench most weeks of late....next year we have european footy too on top.

You are overthninking, quality players always play wherever, I do not see a problem in that.

No mate, I'm talking about what I think the club will try to do, not what I would like us to do.

We maybe have some hope of signing bright young things for a couple of years if they know they will be playing every match prior to the next big move. Otherwise, there are plenty of clubs in a better position able to offer things we aren't.

Harsh and all that, but that's who we are right now.

• Upvote 1

That game may well turn out to be an absolute death blow.  Before this weekend we had over 80% chance of top four according to all the major stats people.  I suspect with United winning and us losing it's probably 50-50.

If we don't end up with CL, even in fourth spot with a qualifier, it will have a MAJOR knock-on effect as to which players come.  You can forget van Dijk, Keita, and Brandt.  I don't know who our third- and fourth-choice options are but we will be looking in the bracket of Oxlade-Chamberlain and Nathan Redmond.

I don't care how much money we have to throw at the problem, the players we want will have other teams after them in the Champions League.  Absolutely fuming, how can we be so bad when the game is so important!?!

Maybe now we can stop pretending Mignolet, Clyne, Milner, Lovren, Lucas, Can and Origi are good enough.

The depressing part is quite a lot of them will still be playing next season cause it's impossible to rid all our shit with no investment from the frauds that unfortunately own the club.

We're not going anywhere until we've a gk, two cb, two full backs, dm and another wide player that can be relied upon week in week out.

Sent from my B1-770 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

That game may well turn out to be an absolute death blow.  Before this weekend we had over 80% chance of top four according to all the major stats people.  I suspect with United winning and us losing it's probably 50-50.

If we don't end up with CL, even in fourth spot with a qualifier, it will have a MAJOR knock-on effect as to which players come.  You can forget van Dijk, Keita, and Brandt.  I don't know who our third- and fourth-choice options are but we will be looking in the bracket of Oxlade-Chamberlain and Nathan Redmond.

I don't care how much money we have to throw at the problem, the players we want will have other teams after them in the Champions League.  Absolutely fuming, how can we be so bad when the game is so important!?!

Yep, without top four we're fucked. Two straight seasons without being in the CL with Klopp will also hurt his standing as a coach. 

We'll be scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Maybe now we can stop pretending Mignolet, Clyne, Milner, Lovren, Lucas, Can and Origi are good enough.

The depressing part is quite a lot of them will still be playing next season cause it's impossible to rid all our shit with no investment from the frauds that unfortunately own the club.

We're not going anywhere until we've a gk, two cb, two full backs, dm and another wide player that can be relied upon week in week out.

Spot on they are all shite, I'd keep Can because I still think there's a player there but the rest simply are nowhere near good enough, nowhere near.

Top four doesn't matter. We won't pay the wages for any player to be wanted by the big clubs. We sign players they don't go after and that'll be the case, top four or not.

Think that leaves us fucked? Then wake up and turn on the owners

• Upvote 4