You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gary Lineker versus Evil

AngryOfTuebrook

I'm warming to the cut of this lad's jib.  

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/gary-lineker-walkers-the-sun_uk_5825e603e4b0e18d11a520df

Gary Lineker has suggested Walkers Crisps should end its relationship with The Sun after a spat with the tabloid media over the portrayal of child refugees arriving from Calais. 

Lineker, who has been Walkers’ figurehead for 21 years, has shared his support for a campaign dedicated to putting pressure on advertisers who work with newspapers including The Sun, The Daily Mail and Daily Express.

And in a direct reply to those asking if he has spoken to Walkers over its commercial involvement with The Sun, the former England star admitted he had talked with the snack food firm, and that people should “wait and see”.

Walkers Crisps owner PepsiCo did not initially respond to questions from The Huffington Post UK on Friday and said it was waiting to establish the facts.

It later issued a statement saying: “We have a very successful partnership with Gary Lineker and we will continue to do so.

“Our advertising approach is not determined by the editorial stances of individual newspapers.”

Lineker’s tweets came after the former England international shared a viral video made by the campaign group Stop Funding Hate.

The video appeals to advertisers including John Lewis to stop appearing in publications which have shown “some of us are different... that some of us are a problem, a burden, or a threat”.

According to its Facebook page, Stop Funding Hate “aims to tackle the culture of hate, demonisation and division that is poisoning our political discourse.”

It claims to have helped secure a review by the Co-op into advertising in certain publications.

Asked by a Daily Mail reporter on Twitter whether he would speak to Walkers about an earlier coupon promotion in The Sun newspaper, Lineker replied to say he already had and that people should “wait and see”.

The former Tottenham and Everton star has spoken out repeatedly on the treatment of refugees after having first confronted ex-English Defence League leader Tommy Robinson, branding him a “racist idiot” for claiming 14 children brought into Britain from Calais were actually adults.

A further exchange regarding the identity and age of a child refugee prompted The Sun to accuse him of “peddling lies” and suggest he should be fired from his job at the BBC.

Lineker, 55, has appeared in dozens of Walkers Crisps adverts and often features on the firm’s packaging.

He first advertised the firm’s products in 1995 and reportedly receives £500,000 a year from the deal.

A former Walkers advertising boss said earlier this year he thought Lineker would work for the firm for at least another decade.

A spokesman for Lineker declined to comment further.

• Upvote 2

Guest Pistonbroke

Good on him, no doubt his twatter account will take another hammering from knuckle dragging mongs. 

His football tastes might be a bit shite but he does come over as a decent bloke with morals. 

Good on him, no doubt his twatter account will take another hammering from knuckle dragging mongs. 

His football tastes might be a bit shite but he does come over as a decent bloke with morals

I don't know PB, he hotfooted it from Goodison pretty sharpish and barely mentions his stop there.

Guest Pistonbroke

I don't know PB, he hotfooted it from Goodison pretty sharpish and barely mentions his stop there.

He still played for them, and the spuds. But yeah, he does seem to shut out his Everton years a lot of the time. He was however more voice full about them in the past and I have always got that feeling he is not that fond of us. 

A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

I think that's a fair point, though.

The Sun have been dickheads for decades and Lineker has only taken issue when them being dickheads has directly conflicted with a view of his.

That's something, at least, but I'm not convinced its in anyway admirable.

I think that's a fair point, though.

The Sun have been dickheads for decades and Lineker has only taken issue when them being dickheads has directly conflicted with a view of his.

That's something, at least, but I'm not convinced its in anyway admirable.

Expectations are low. He appears to be marginally more admirable than the vast majority of people with his wealth/status.

If everyone with his wealth/status just gave the slither of a fuck that he appears to, whether only inspired by personal motivation or otherwise, we'd probably have slightly less of a cunt world.

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

As JJ put it, every journey starts with a step. If this causes others to follow suite then it can only be seen as a good thing, regardless of our own opinions on individuals or companies. 

I think it was Cloggy who posted that Lego have pulled advertising from the Daily Fail for the same reasons. One snow flake can lead to an avalanche. 

The journey will end there for him. Activists have been fighting for decades hoping celebrities come along, they never do.

So what do you want him to do, exactly?  Strip off his jacket on MotD to reveal a T-shirt that reads "Rise Up Comrades And Seize the Means Of Production!"?

You know, I should probably hold my tongue but you're really tiresome.  Lineker has risked a lot of money and probably his job to make a clear stand against bigotry and injustice and your reaction is "Meh, doesn't go far enough."  It's childish.

• Upvote 4

He's always come across as a bit too pleased with himself for my liking so I have to say I was a bit taken aback to see him take such a clear stand on this. If it causes one person to look differently at the situation and the divisive agenda of the usual culprits or emboldens others to speak out in other areas then it has been worthwhile.

Good on him

• Upvote 2

Lego have ended their promotions with the mail over their migrant bashing.

Not a fan of Lineker but fair fucks to him for taking this stand although I think it's agenda driven as he's looking a way into politics. Bit like Sebastian coe.

Sebastian Coe is a fucking massive cunt. Lineker is not a bit like him at all.

• Upvote 3