You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mountains

Mook

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

K2 isn't in the Himalayas though is it? 

This is excellent knowledge, JJ, it’s a fact I knew, have known for years, is mentioned numerous times in the documentary and still I didn’t cotton on. 

I remember reading a Reinhold Messner book years ago and I’m sure it used to be 1 in 3 people attempting to summit K2 died, obviously it’s much, much less than that now but it’s still known as the hardest 8000er to climb. 

In 2009 nobody summited at all, in comparison to about 300 people summiting Everest. 

I’ve watched a couple more today, first one is The Alpinist, which follows Marc-André Leclerc, a Canadian free solo maniac. 
Second one was called Kilian Journet: Path to Everest. 

This is the second one I’ve watched on Journet, the first was called Summits of my life. 

Anyway mountain films. Get on them. 

2 hours ago, TheBitch said:

This is excellent knowledge, JJ, it’s a fact I knew, have known for years, is mentioned numerous times in the documentary and still I didn’t cotton on. 

I remember reading a Reinhold Messner book years ago and I’m sure it used to be 1 in 3 people attempting to summit K2 died, obviously it’s much, much less than that now but it’s still known as the hardest 8000er to climb. 

In 2009 nobody summited at all, in comparison to about 300 people summiting Everest. 

I’ve watched a couple more today, first one is The Alpinist, which follows Marc-André Leclerc, a Canadian free solo maniac. 
Second one was called Kilian Journet: Path to Everest. 

This is the second one I’ve watched on Journet, the first was called Summits of my life. 

Anyway mountain films. Get on them. 

I've seen a couple of documentaries on them and it's scary shit. There is a youtube channel called David Snow and it has that stuff on it.

What a lovely thread to find on here.

I came into mountain walking/climbing late in life and a couple of years ago completed the 3 Peaks. 

Scafell Pike was a bitch but the views of the fells were something else.

Big Ben was the most physically demanding thing I’ve ever done. 

Yr Wyddfa/Snowdon is always great fun.

I did it for charity and raised a couple of grand. After this I set about on a 5 year plan to walk all the 6 traditional routes on Snowdon, climb Pen Y Fan and climb the two Irish mountains. So 2 years into the 5 year plan I’ve completed 5 of the 6 paths, having done Snowdon Ranger (mid April in the snow) this year and potentially earmarked one more climb in august to maybe do Watkin and complete the 6. 

Big respect to Mook and Bitch on this thread for their deeds. Killian Journet has been mentioned on here, he climbed Everest twice in one week without oxygen as well. I mean, where do you fucking start with that?

Love the 14 peaks doc with Nims. I follow him and his company Elite Exped on Instagram and often stare for hours at the pics of the 8000s he does. In the doc he climbs one hungover. Fuck me.

Due to a complex medical condition I can never dream of climbing or doing Everest Base camp. Not sure Ben Nevis was my limit as it was bloody hard, but maybe a 2000m one could be doable, maybe even Kilimanjaro, who knows. 

Id definitely like to do the CMD. Think that would be one to do after the 5 year plan along with the glyders. 

• Upvote 2

I’ve wanted to do the CMD for years, but having already climbed Ben Nevis I keep waiting for some of my mates to say they want to do it and I’ll take them up that route and I find other peaks to tick off instead. 

I’m (slowly) ticking off the Trail 100 (fuck you work) that’s a cracking list to get your teeth into if you want a long term challenge. I’m on 51 to date. 

• 3 weeks later...