You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Inequality

AngryOfTuebrook

2 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

If you left the country for a better job/lifestyle is it inconceivable that the people who would benefit from leaving for a more favourable tax regime would do the same?  

The argument that the rich would all disappear and leave us feckless plebs to wallow in our own filth is a little overstated.  The country did not collapse because the Rolling Stones pissed off for a year.  

It's far more likely that if you started taxing rich people at (at least) the same rate as poor people, they would still be very rich, but they would see the country they live in becoming a better place, as abject squalor becomes less of an everyday reality.

6 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

The argument that the rich would all disappear and leave us feckless plebs to wallow in our own filth is a little overstated.  The country did not collapse because the Rolling Stones pissed off for a year.  

It's far more likely that if you started taxing rich people at (at least) the same rate as poor people, they would still be very rich, but they would see the country they live in becoming a better place, as abject squalor becomes less of an everyday reality.

So on one hand they are all capitalist cunts who’d love to watch a granny starve, or they are altruistic and would hang about to see the country a better place?  It’s a lovely thought. 

27 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

So on one hand they are all capitalist cunts who’d love to watch a granny starve, or they are altruistic and would hang about to see the country a better place?  It’s a lovely thought. 

It's not an argument I've ever heard or would take seriously if I did.

Some wealthy people are utterly horrible.  So are some poor people.  In both cases, their awfulness might be partly attributed to the circumstances in which they find themselves: both can develop big chips on their shoulders and a feeling that society owes them something.

Progressive taxation, investment in public infrastructure and services and more rights for workers to campaign for improved pay and conditions would help to alleviate the inequality which exaggerates the worst aspects of wealth and poverty alike.

• Upvote 4

Guest Pistonbroke

Just upping sticks and starting off in a new country isn't that straight forward. Even if they were forced to pay their fair share on taxes out of all of their favoured destinations not many would see them better off. They would have to make/find a new network of friends and business contacts, try to get used to the different way of living and would they truly give up the things they love when they'd still be stinking rich? Leaving their friends and family, the fact that they are seen as a pillar of society (yeah, some aren't). They may claim they'd fuck off, but threatening to do something and actually doing it is a huge step. Let's face it, there are better places to live than the UK, especially if you look at the culture side of things/weather etc...if it was that easy to just up sticks why haven't they already done it. We are talking about people who will never need to want for the rest of their lives. 

Let them move. Their money doesn't live here anyway. Properly tax every penny earnt here in this country if they live in Switzerland it's irrelevant. Amazon should not be be next to zero tax in this country, small business doesn't get away with it. It's not a punishment the bigger slice of pie costs more, you still get the biggest slice of pie, youre still wealthy and successful. Personally I'd offer tax cuts, benefits, easier access to infrastructure, land or whatever to companies that pay a real living wage, have shifts fit for human life and that generally treat their staff as decent people that are part of the company, if they hit a tick list, id do all possible for that company to succeed.

I believe in inequality in the sense I think money is a good motivator and reward for talent, skill, hardwork, unique service, sheer luck but to be worth billions and still treat your staff like shit is unacceptable. Be a billionaire and treat you're staff and the places you make that money with respect then fair fucks to you add an extra foot to that yacht.

I think the minimum wage at the minute is unacceptable £8 odd an hour with the cost of living today is nuts. My mate split up with his wife hes on more than the minimum wage but hes gone from a nice house in a nice area to a room with a bathroom attached with a communal kitchen for £450 a month. Some of my mates have bizarre shift patterns and I think what is the fucking purpose in that other than to completely fuck up someone's life it's so weird. We've allowed the chase for profit to take importance over everything, shaping society to make rich people obscenely rich and for poorer people to struggle to put a roof over their heads or have children and be able to work. Everything is about balance and we've totally fucked up this countries. 

Balance applies in people's lives too, there is such thing as personal responsibility. Taking on debt for shiny shit that leaves you struggling or will fuck you up if your circumstances change. Me and my missus have one real rule and thats we can afford all our bills and costs on one wage if one of us loses our job, it would be shitty living but doable. We don't take on any debt that goes over that line. It also serves to help us save money. I know it's not possible for everyone I'm just mentioning my personal situation. We've decided to set rules based on our lives.

Other personal responsibilities my missus mum's neighbour is a council property and it's an absolute shit hole, the whole street is nice except for that, there should be checks and accountability on things like that too. Scruffy lazy twats there's no excuse. I grew up in council houses and they were always treated with respect it doesn't matter if youre there short term or not. People act shitty right across society and take advantage where they can often with little care to the people or place around them. 

I've forgot my point. People are cunts. Fuck off.

• Upvote 4

39 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Let them move. Their money doesn't live here anyway. Properly tax every penny earnt here in this country if they live in Switzerland it's irrelevant. Amazon should not be be next to zero tax in this country, small business doesn't get away with it. It's not a punishment the bigger slice of pie costs more, you still get the biggest slice of pie, youre still wealthy and successful. Personally I'd offer tax cuts, benefits, easier access to infrastructure, land or whatever to companies that pay a real living wage, have shifts fit for human life and that generally treat their staff as decent people that are part of the company, if they hit a tick list, id do all possible for that company to succeed.

I believe in inequality in the sense I think money is a good motivator and reward for talent, skill, hardwork, unique service, sheer luck but to be worth billions and still treat your staff like shit is unacceptable. Be a billionaire and treat you're staff and the places you make that money with respect then fair fucks to you add an extra foot to that yacht.

I think the minimum wage at the minute is unacceptable £8 odd an hour with the cost of living today is nuts. My mate split up with his wife hes on more than the minimum wage but hes gone from a nice house in a nice area to a room with a bathroom attached with a communal kitchen for £450 a month. Some of my mates have bizarre shift patterns and I think what is the fucking purpose in that other than to completely fuck up someone's life it's so weird. We've allowed the chase for profit to take importance over everything, shaping society to make rich people obscenely rich and for poorer people to struggle to put a roof over their heads or have children and be able to work. Everything is about balance and we've totally fucked up this countries. 

Balance applies in people's lives too, there is such thing as personal responsibility. Taking on debt for shiny shit that leaves you struggling or will fuck you up if your circumstances change. Me and my missus have one real rule and thats we can afford all our bills and costs on one wage if one of us loses our job, it would be shitty living but doable. We don't take on any debt that goes over that line. It also serves to help us save money. I know it's not possible for everyone I'm just mentioning my personal situation. We've decided to set rules based on our lives.

Other personal responsibilities my missus mum's neighbour is a council property and it's an absolute shit hole, the whole street is nice except for that, there should be checks and accountability on things like that too. Scruffy lazy twats there's no excuse. I grew up in council houses and they were always treated with respect it doesn't matter if youre there short term or not. People act shitty right across society and take advantage where they can often with little care to the people or place around them. 

Good post, forgotten point or not!

10 hours ago, Pistonbroke said:

Just upping sticks and starting off in a new country isn't that straight forward. Even if they were forced to pay their fair share on taxes out of all of their favoured destinations not many would see them better off. They would have to make/find a new network of friends and business contacts, try to get used to the different way of living and would they truly give up the things they love when they'd still be stinking rich? Leaving their friends and family, the fact that they are seen as a pillar of society (yeah, some aren't). They may claim they'd fuck off, but threatening to do something and actually doing it is a huge step. Let's face it, there are better places to live than the UK, especially if you look at the culture side of things/weather etc...if it was that easy to just up sticks why haven't they already done it. We are talking about people who will never need to want for the rest of their lives. 

Fuck me if you could do I’d expect anyone could. 

• 1 month later...

Of course, we couldn't possibly extend free school meals to feed poor kids in the summer.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/wealthy-uk-tax-cost-rate-capital-gains-income-tax-a9566211.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR1juMUgdmEKQQlVc3PoLMbudNzuxP9mn3DSH6vBb5mDYdL-1gQsdmTRYs0#Echobox=1592223941

Some of the wealthiest people in the UK are paying an effective tax rate of just 20 per cent, pioneering new research has found.

Researchers from Warwick University and the London School of Economics (LSE) analysed anonymised HMRC tax returns of higher earners and found that the average person with £10m in total remuneration had an effective tax rate of just 21 per cent – less than someone on median earnings of £30,000.

And a tenth of people receiving more than £1m paid a lower rate than someone earning just £15,000.

• 5 weeks later...

Great success.

More than three-quarters of the world’s richest people have reported an increase in their already vast family fortunes, despite the economic shock caused by the coronavirus pandemic.

Research into the family offices of the super-rich found that the vast majority were able to “ride out 2020’s storm in financial markets”, while many less wealthy people have lost their jobs and seen the value of their savings and pensions collapse.

6 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Great success.

More than three-quarters of the world’s richest people have reported an increase in their already vast family fortunes, despite the economic shock caused by the coronavirus pandemic.

Research into the family offices of the super-rich found that the vast majority were able to “ride out 2020’s storm in financial markets”, while many less wealthy people have lost their jobs and seen the value of their savings and pensions collapse.

giphy.gif

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Great success.

As someone smarter than me put it, we are not all in the same boat; we are all in the same storm.

• Upvote 3

On 15/05/2020 at 07:22, Bobby Hundreds said:

Have some fucking rep from this cunt that agrees with every word. Except the last two. Fuck off.

On 15/05/2020 at 07:22, Bobby Hundreds said:

Me and the mrs do foodbank deliveries every week (no i am not virtue signalling) and go to some pretty poor areas. It does wind me up when the gardens are overgrown and full of rubbish when all it takes is a little bit of effort rather than money to clear up.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, A Red said:

Me and the mrs do foodbank deliveries every week (no i am not virtue signalling) and go to some pretty poor areas. It does wind me up when the gardens are overgrown and full of rubbish when all it takes is a little bit of effort rather than money to clear up.  

Can I put you on a pedestal?

I read an interesting argument the other day, the gist of it was you should give employers the right to fire anybody who earned over a specific amount - say, £80k a year - completely at will, for whatever reason they liked, without recompense. The thinking was you would find many people would suddenly discover their labour was worth less than £80,000 per annum and take a pay cut, or stop seeking pay rises. You could still earn more than that, but you'd lose all job security.

17 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I read an interesting argument the other day, the gist of it was you should give employers the right to fire anybody who earned over a specific amount - say, £80k a year - completely at will, for whatever reason they liked, without recompense. The thinking was you would find many people would suddenly discover their labour was worth less than £80,000 per annum and take a pay cut, or stop seeking pay rises. You could still earn more than that, but you'd lose all job security.

The world is fucking nuts. 

14 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

This and other things do make me wonder what is considered a ‘good’ income in this country. I know we have data like minimum wage, supposed living wage, Uk average etc but I never really consider what’s ‘comfortable’

Average north west family, chap, wife and 2 kids. What is a decent amount of income to the household? 

I think the waters get muddied in discussions like this when people talk about salaries, it's not really about someone earning 100 grand a year while someone else earns 15, it's about the fact people own multi million or even multi billion pound businesses with all the money centralised to one owner or a handful of shareholders, many of whom will partake in sophisticated tax avoidance operations. Some will have their fingers in political lobbying and media organisations. They have everything sewn up. 

The old middle class is in big trouble. They used to have savings and secure pensions and jobs, now they're probably working 60 hour weeks while their pensioner parents look after their kids, secretly hoping they die soon so they can inherit some actual cash and make a dent in their gargantuan debts.

The people at the top put tendrils into the place and they've been sucking it endlessly dry and will keep doing so until there's fuck all left. They chowed down on the foreclosure market after the credit crunch and they're doing it now with government contracts that go nowhere. That's inequality, grand theft in broad daylight, a game you never even had a chance of playing in, let alone winning.