You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

FSG are not shit

Dave D

Guest Pistonbroke

They have certainly failed to get the hang of the transfer business in seven years and 14 windows

I reckon they know exactly what they are doing mate. 

They haven't done themselves any favours by promising to spend and then not. The biggest issue for me was fucking up the VVD transfer. If they'd done that properly then I think most fans would have been happy with that window. Lemar would have been a bonus.

By simply buying two players for an area we aren't particularly weak in and another for the same strong area of the team in a years time we have appeared to miss out. Most of us expect to be posting here in January/February bemoaning our lack of a challenge because we haven't strengthened the areas where we needed. Got to say that Klopp should rightly get the plaudits if we win something this season but if we once again miss out on silverware because our defence continues to concede over 40 goals a season he has to face tough criticism too. I refuse to believe there aren't at least two centre backs who couldn't improve our first eleven and also provide a back up for injuries in a defensive crisis.

In the past I would have said 50% of transfers result in disappointment; doesn't matter what the price tag is. Since Klopp has been here it is difficult to identify a failure - Klavan?

The reason I suspect, is that our Manager does not like settling for second best. He gets the guy he wants or he sticks with what he's got.

Most of us would have thought it a great window if we'd have secured VVD. We didnt, for whatever reason (probably not cash) and we certainly have a weakness at centre back if either of the first choice guys is not playing. But I don't lay that at FSG's door.

I have no insight as to what goes on behind closed doors but my take is the activity (or lack of it) is down to the Manager's choice rather than FSG not injecting funds.

• Upvote 1

In the past I would have said 50% of transfers result in disappointment; doesn't matter what the price tag is. Since Klopp has been here it is difficult to identify a failure - Klavan?

The reason I suspect, is that our Manager does not like settling for second best. He gets the guy he wants or he sticks with what he's got.

Most of us would have thought it a great window if we'd have secured VVD. We didnt, for whatever reason (probably not cash) and we certainly have a weakness at centre back if either of the first choice guys is not playing. But I don't lay that at FSG's door.

I have no insight as to what goes on behind closed doors but my take is the activity (or lack of it) is down to the Manager's choice rather than FSG not injecting funds.

The VVD thing was a farce and you could level criticism at FSG for how they approached it but I think if we had been immaculate in our approach, Southampton would still have blocked it.

To not go for someone else after clearly identifying a very expensive CB as a requirement reflects back on Klopp.

Not sure if thats a bad thing or not really. Plenty of previous managers would have been more than happy to blow the money on inferior players that we then get stuck with.   

The VVD thing was a farce and you could level criticism at FSG for how they approached it but I think if we had been immaculate in our approach, Southampton would still have blocked it.

To not go for someone else after clearly identifying a very expensive CB as a requirement reflects back on Klopp.

Not sure if thats a bad thing or not really. Plenty of previous managers would have been more than happy to blow the money on inferior players that we then get stuck with.

Its a fair point that people keep bringing up. We should avoid settling for lesser players.

But it doesn't change the reality that we are short numbers at CB and one of our starting CBs is the epitomy of average.

I think there are times when you just have to weigh up the risks and make a call. In this I genuinely think Klopp has made a big mistake that will be shown as the season goes on.(IF its true that he was the one that made the VVD or nobody call)

At the start of summer I wanted a big window. Without getting too ridiculous, as we can all add more and more to our lists, I had in mind five players coming in, with three of them going into the first team and the other two adding to the squad. With all the money sloshing around the game I also expected us to break our transfer record, or thereabouts, three times. With regard to outgoing, I expected us to sell a few players and generate some cash, but I didn't think we'd sell anyone we didn't want to.

So, how did we do?

Outgoing:

Assuming Coutinho stays today, outgoing not bad at all.

Sakho sold. Makes sense given the situation with Klopp.

Lucas sold - well loved, but can't begrudge him playing football.

Stewart sold - good business, as he was on the outside edges of the squad and his spot was needed for other players coming through.

Markovic should have been sold so that was a miss.

Origi out on loan makes sense, as with the attacking riches we now have he needs playing time to show he has a future here, or he will be sold.

Incoming:

Not bad.

Salah the best of the bunch. Adds a new dimension to the attack, almost like a second Mane (though not quite as good, obviously). But very pleased with him.

Keita is the midfielder we want. Red Bull held firm so we did the next best thing and bought him for next season.

AOC makes sense, offering some pace, power and trickery, and his versatility means he can cover on the wing and in midfield. I'm not excited about the price, but football has gone mad. I like his hunger to come here.

Solanke very good business. Has edged ahead of Origi in the pecking order in preseason and so one is out on loan and the other is here.

Robertson looked good in his one Prem game so far. Not great, so not going overboard, but natural left footer, offering width, reasonable pace and a good cross.

Add to this the rapid rise of TAA, the coming back to form after a long term injury of Gomez, and Gruijic the crusher looking like he's got a goal or a tackle in him every time he gets on the pitch, and the depth isn't as bad as we make out.

However...

There is a large VVD shaped hole in the central defence. Hard to pick apart all the details of why that deal didn't happen, but clearly we have the money but Southampton are making a point. Klopp's plan B is to go with what he has and presumably go back in for the player again in January. If the door fully closes on that deal and the player moves to another club, or tells Klopp he's not coming, I expect us to move to another target. Until that happens we look committed to making the deal happen.

So, what do I think of the owners after this window?

Well, unfortunately it's not definitive for me, and I find myself in about the same position as before summer. They are not the sugar daddy Man City sort of owner, and we never expected that. But at the same time I'm not ready to say they are bad owners.

Their commitment has been to grow the club and spend money generated on the club. We've seen a new main stand after years of stagnation on that side. I'd like to see the Anny Rd end sorted next. As for investment in the team, we've had it, but it hasn't been such largesse that we've been amazed, but neither has it been so clearly stingy that we have been swindled.

I think we could have done more, but I also think money is there and to date we have not been able to close the managers preferred deal on VVD.

I'm not enormously impressed with them, but neither do I have a pitchfork in hand ready to protest.

• Upvote 4

I'd love to know the total of money received during their tenure from sales/loans/TV revenue deals/Sponsorship deals/League and cup placings. 

If we compare that to total outgoings I'm guessing we'd be shocked. Well not so much shocked, but pissed off. 

As of the last available financial accounts (2016), they have not taken a penny out in the form of dividends. They have put cash in, in the form of shareholder loans, some of which was converted to equity, some of which got repaid. Those loans, other than the stadium loans, carried zero interest. The stadium loan is paying something like 1.5% from memory, which is not very much at all.

If only looking at full financial years that they've been here, from year end 2012 to 2016, Total revenues were £1,230m. This excludes money received for transfers

Over the same period, wages were £758, other cash expenses (cost of sales, admin costs, paying of sacked management) were £297m , there has been a net cash outlfow on transfers (cash spent and received) of £208m. Add all that up and you get £1,263m spent.

You pissed off?

• Upvote 1

So to clarify if Keita gets a career ending injury this season we get the compo?? Behave the money won't be paid until July next year so counts as an agreement now and a purchase next season

But we have paid probably £5m plus up front to land the deal so it's probably fair to count that bit as this year's spending.

• Upvote 1