You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Christian Benteke

WhiskeyJar

I thought he was our best player yesterday. He ran the channels, held up the ball, allowed the midfiled to catch up with play when we had been defending deep. Showed he has a good touch and great awareness when he rolled coutinho in for his blocked shot 2nd half.

He did a great bit of skill first half, with a back heel to Coutinho who should have shot sooner. Even though he should have scored another at the end, he was a little unlucky too. He is also a beast in the air and allows us to get out from the back.

I disagree that we hoof the ball to him, but when we needed to go direct he was always showing and rarely lost out.

I don't think we can expect much more from him, that was a very impressive home debut. Could have had 2, scored the winner and laid a chance on a plate for Coutinho. Lets get behind the lad, he did really well.

• Upvote 1

Honestly cant understand the criticism, unless it's to cover a previously spouted bias.

He's given us a new dimension to our game and is better than any striker we currently have or could have gotten.

And as a bonus, he actually looks arsed. 

I dont care how we win, as long as we win. Once that becomes boring, Ill demand style.

• Upvote 5

Honestly cant understand the criticism, unless it's to cover a previously spouted bias.

He's given us a new dimension to our game and is better than any striker we currently have or could have gotten.

And as a bonus, he actually looks arsed.

I dont care how we win, as long as we win. Once that becomes boring, Ill demand style.

I rather we win well and convincingly unless you would like to see ride our luck all the time.

I rather we win well and convincingly unless you would like to see ride our luck all the time.

Winning well and convincingly would be ever so welcome, or course.

If that is not an option, than I will be more than pleased to be the better team and collect a hard won 3 points and move forward.

From what i saw yesterday, there is reason to be optimistic. A little more understanding between Benteke and his linemates and we are in for a fair few goals.  

And, if I am being honest, I don't really miss having to monitor my blood pressure as we try to pass it out of our half against a high press.

As for luck, its is always a factor. Except for a run of several minutes in the second half, we were well in charge of the match and I wouldn't say that we were lucky or unlucky with the result as the scoreline could have just as easily be 5-2 if all luck went to the attacking side. 

I'm sure someone will offer that 1-0 against two shit teams is not good enough and I'll politely disagree.

Its exactly good enough; these are matches we would have lost or drawn last season. 

• Upvote 1

There's a lot of improvement to come from us and I'm hopeful for the season ahead. Arsenal away is a tough game but they will be apprehensive about it too. They know we have players to hurt them. I just hope we have the right approach and don't sit back and defend for our lives, leaving Benteke increasingly isolated. 

I think he has done ok.

He has given us a presence and a focal point up front and has worked hard, even bullied an error out of a defender and won it for us high up on monday.

The problem is we aren't getting anybody up with him and that is down to formation, tactics and the players being used....which is down to the manager.

Get him support and service he will be effective.

I think he has done ok.

He has given us a presence and a focal point up front and has worked hard, even bullied an error out of a defender and won it for us high up on monday.

The problem is we aren't getting anybody up with him and that is down to formation, tactics and the players being used....which is down to the manager.

Get him support and service he will be effective.

Totally agree with this. Lets not pay £32 million and then expect him to do everything for himself. Would like to see if Ings or Origi could strike up a partnership with him. We will need a few 4 and 5 goal hauls to qualify for the CL.

Totally agree with this. Lets not pay £32 million and then expect him to do everything for himself. Would like to see if Ings or Origi could strike up a partnership with him. We will need a few 4 and 5 goal hauls to qualify for the CL.

I would think that if Sturridge ever rises from the dead that both he and Benteke will play...so why not get the side used to the formation now and partner Benteke with one of our other strikers.

Personally i have had enough of this one up front, it made us impotent last season and we look the same this.